Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why aren't we finding Seated Dollars ?

I can see that they ran them for only thirty five years or so - that must be a big part of it -
and it looks as though there were only a couple of years where over a million were minted,
so I guess I've answered my own question- It occurs to me- that I have maybe seen one
found on this forum in about five years . Argentium.

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Why aren't we finding Seated Dollars ?

Thank you Woodland , for your response - I think my question comes about in part because
indeed we do see both the Morgan and "peace" dollars found with some regularity . However,
the original populations of these varieties , is considerably more than those of the Seated Liberty.
Argentium.

wells

Mar 1, 2008
Middleburg, Pa.
Primary Interest:
Other

I'd like to find a chest full of uncirculated seated dollars - ya i would !

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have asked on several forums and have never ever seen one come up.I have def. never seen one on here.It is said they never went into circulation here and many went to China(I beleive)The one that was posted here was a fake made in China which is very, common

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CMD found one and posted it :icon_scratch: 2 years ago ::) traded it for a Fender amp 8) one 1853 half in 2010 1858 and 1860 halves , 2 posted two weeks ago . Seated silver are All great thrills ... dawg

Attachments

• 1847 seated dollar.JPG
    1847 seated dollar.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 726

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro

kuger said:
I have asked on several forums and have never ever seen one come up.I have def. never seen one on here.It is said they never went into circulation here and many went to China(I beleive)The one that was posted here was a fake made in China which is very, common

Are you speaking of a Seated dollar or a Trade Dollar... Trade Dollars went to China, were a higher silver weight than normal silver dollars. Both have seated liberty on the obverse, but liberty looks a little different on the Trade Dollar.

images-1.jpg images-2.jpg
Trade Dollar (china circulation)

images-3.jpg images-4.jpg
Seated Dollar (domestic)

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No I meant Seated Dollars....I have found quite a few Seated halves and every other denomination in the Seated...

I guess I missed tha one that was posted....I asked here several times,just didnt in the last year!Thats incredible!!!! :hello2:

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

I found one in a cashe of coins I found in 2010, there were 19 dollar sized coins, all where foreign except one. It was great to have one but it would have been unreal if all where US seated dollars. You most likely will find a gold dollar before you find a seated dollar. Sorry about the large pics, I'm not that great with my computer.

Attachments

• P1010024.JPG
    P1010024.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 775
  • P1010024.JPG
    P1010024.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 892

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MKnTenn said:
I found one in a cashe of coins I found in 2010, there were 19 dollar sized coins, all where foreign except one. It was great to have one but it would have been unreal if all where US seated dollars. You most likely will find a gold dollar before you find a seated dollar. Sorry about the large pics, I'm not that great with my computer.

Thats exceptional guys!!!You are wayyyyy more likely to find a gold coin of any denomination over a Seated Dollar.

Where were all you guys when I asked!!I am stoked to finally hear about a few being found.That is A #1 on my all time want to dig list!!!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

p2c said:
kuger said:

Are you speaking of a Seated dollar or a Trade Dollar... Trade Dollars went to China, were a higher silver weight than normal silver dollars. Both have seated liberty on the obverse, but liberty looks a little different on the Trade Dollar.

Trade Dollar (china circulation)

Seated Dollar (domestic)

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The only place seated dollars circulated much was the west and that was in later years of production. Most people in earlier years used gold dollars instead, that's why you see so many gold dollars (relatively speaking) found in Civil war camps. In 42 years of detecting I have found two seated dollars and 4 gold dollars. The dates on the two seated were 1860-o and 1870-cc. kane23

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kane23 said:
The only place seated dollars circulated much was the west and that was in later years of production. Most people in earlier years used gold dollars instead, that's why you see so many gold dollars (relatively speaking) found in Civil war camps. In 42 years of detecting I have found two seated dollars and 4 gold dollars. The dates on the two seated were 1860-o and 1870-cc. kane23

CC Dollar!!!!Thats the mecca of all coins to me....maybe aside from a private mint gold :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I want to find one of these Quarter eagles.

I like the Pointy heads ;D

1798%20$5%20Large%20Eagle,%20Large%208,%2013%20Star%20Reverse_rev.jpg

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex

A few reasons:

1) The total mintage of Seated Dollars (all dates combined) was a tiny fraction of the amount of Morgan and Peace Dollars minted. There were not that many made in the first place.

2) Silver coinage all but disappeared from circulation at times from 1853 to 1873, so they were not out there getting lost.

3) Spanish silver and Bust half dollars were the preferred silver coins of 19th century commerce. The Seated Dollars didn't circulate to the same extent, kind of like our modern day refusal to use Kennedy half dollars and "golden dollars".

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rhedden said:
A few reasons:

1) The total mintage of Seated Dollars (all dates combined) was a tiny fraction of the amount of Morgan and Peace Dollars minted. There were not that many made in the first place.

2) Silver coinage all but disappeared from circulation at times from 1853 to 1873, so they were not out there getting lost.

3) Spanish silver and Bust half dollars were the preferred silver coins of 19th century commerce. The Seated Dollars didn't circulate to the same extent, kind of like our modern day refusal to use Kennedy half dollars and "golden dollars".

I kind of have to disagree with some of that......I see more 1850-1870's Seated halves found than any other Seated coin,only second to maybe Seated dimes,and quarters

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

Read somewhere that in the early 1800's most halves and dollars where traded between banks and only a few where in circulation, as noted with the high number of bust halves in high grades that we have today. With the seated dollars that where in banks hands, they where supposed to have been melted to mint the new morgan dollars. I heard a fantastic story a long time ago, when the mint was selling their silver dollars in the early 1960's for face value, I guess to clear out the vaults, and coin collectors where buying $1000.00 bags, and going though them looking for rare dates, and they where finding some 1893-S's and other rare dates, then taking the ones they didn't want back to the bank to get a new bag, well someone got a $1000.00 bag of seated dollars!

Graddick

Sep 17, 2011
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MKnTenn said:
Read somewhere that in the early 1800's most halves and dollars where traded between banks and only a few where in circulation, as noted with the high number of bust halves in high grades that we have today. With the seated dollars that where in banks hands, they where supposed to have been melted to mint the new morgan dollars. I heard a fantastic story a long time ago, when the mint was selling their silver dollars in the early 1960's for face value I guess to clear out the vaults and coin collectors where buying $1000.00 bags, going though them looking for rare dates, then taking the ones they didn't want back to the bank to get a new bag, someone got a $1000.00 bag of seated dollars!
Posts like that might give someone a heart attack. Be careful.

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Several bags of seated dollars showed up in Las vegas in the 1960's. the mint sent them without looking at them. Most were dated 1859-O and 1860-O. Read Walter Breen's encyclopedia of US coins. All kinds of facts are available in this book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread