Think ive made up my mind, anything im missing?

chris725

Greenie
Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Think i've made up my mind, anything i'm missing?

So I thought I had my heart set on the Garrett AT Pro, but after hours and hours of online research I have have come to the conclusion that the Fisher F4 is everything I really want/need with a price tag that I can handle. I'm thinking the AT Pro is probably a little better machine, but it also has some features and such that i'm not sure I really need and if I can save a bucks I don't think i'll miss them. I like the display with the VDI readout, which is not something I "had" to have, but really wanted. And the ground balance is something that I do believe is something I need. I live in the northeast and there's quite a bit of iron and clay in the soil. I have owned a couple MD's, but never really had the time to really "dig in" and truly say I "understood" every feature of these detectors. I really did like my old Ace250, and found quite a few things, but it did seem to lack a little when I would get in certain situations, like iron and clay soil. I had all the coils and tried numerous "tricks", but just felt like I was missing good targets because of the soil conditions.
Anyways, so for the price, features, and reviews i've been reading I think the F4 is the machine that will get me excited for the hobby once again and keep me hooked. I love local history and finding little treasures, even if they are only treasures to me. I was planning on purchasing the F4, along with the 4" coil. It looks like headphones are included, which I can upgrade later. Is there anything I may be overlooking? Accessories, or even unit wise? I really don't want/need any of the "extras" that are included in a lot of the "accessory packages", like the trinkets and such, so where would be a good, reputable place, to get a good deal on just what I need? The F4, 4" coil, and headphones. I have a pinpointer, digging tools, etc. so those items are not on my shopping list.
Any replies and feedback would be greatly appreciated!

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Think i've made up my mind, anything i'm missing?

Welcome to the site and congrats on a great detector. Until you learn what the VDI is telling you make sure you dig most of the targets. Use default settings until you are comfortable with the machine and have fun. Remember it usually takes longer than you ever dreamed before the good stuff starts to be recovered so hang in there and don't get frustrated. You've got a good machine so have confidence in it. As far as gear goes, a pair of knee pads is a great addition.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cju7250 said:
So I thought I had my heart set on the Garrett AT Pro, but after hours and hours of online research I have have come to the conclusion that the Fisher F4 is everything I really want/need with a price tag that I can handle. I'm thinking the AT Pro is probably a little better machine, but it also has some features and such that i'm not sure I really need and if I can save a bucks I don't think i'll miss them. I like the display with the VDI readout, which is not something I "had" to have, but really wanted. And the ground balance is something that I do believe is something I need. I live in the northeast and there's quite a bit of iron and clay in the soil. I have owned a couple MD's, but never really had the time to really "dig in" and truly say I "understood" every feature of these detectors. I really did like my old Ace250, and found quite a few things, but it did seem to lack a little when I would get in certain situations, like iron and clay soil. I had all the coils and tried numerous "tricks", but just felt like I was missing good targets because of the soil conditions.
Anyways, so for the price, features, and reviews i've been reading I think the F4 is the machine that will get me excited for the hobby once again and keep me hooked. I love local history and finding little treasures, even if they are only treasures to me. I was planning on purchasing the F4, along with the 4" coil. It looks like headphones are included, which I can upgrade later. Is there anything I may be overlooking? Accessories, or even unit wise? I really don't want/need any of the "extras" that are included in a lot of the "accessory packages", like the trinkets and such, so where would be a good, reputable place, to get a good deal on just what I need? The F4, 4" coil, and headphones. I have a pinpointer, digging tools, etc. so those items are not on my shopping list.

While I feel you are making a huge mistake going with that machine, over say a Tesoro Vaquero (probably because of a little screen that gives you numbers you don't need), I hope you find Big Gold! Don't get JUST a 4" coil. If it comes as an extra great, but you should be using at least an 8" coil for depth. Do yourself a favor and dig a little more info up before you commit to the dealer you're working with..

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman said:
cju7250 said:

While I feel you are making a huge mistake going with that machine, over say a Tesoro Vaquero (probably because of a little screen that gives you numbers you don't need), I hope you find Big Gold! Don't get JUST a 4" coil. If it comes as an extra great, but you should be using at least an 8" coil for depth. Do yourself a favor and dig a little more info up before you commit to the dealer you're working with..
......................I think a White's detector will do you better my self but that's me....good luck and have fun with the f 4.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

I recently watched a British video of a comparison of the Tesoro Vaquero and Minelab Explorer 2. The Tesoro air tested more
than double the depth of the Explorer.

OP
OP
C

chris725

Greenie
Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks guys for all the input. I'm definitely getting the DD coil with the F4, but also feel as though the 4" coil is a necessity as well! I know with the Ace250 I had, the sniper coil was great and I probably found more with it than with the stock coil.
I'm know the VDI and display really isn't a necessity, but it's one of those things that although not necessary, I really enjoy having. Before the Ace250 I never had a display on a MD and I think when I had that feature I got spoiled with it! :)
As far as White's, they are very good detectors and I actually was looking at models with comparable prices, but couldn't get the ground balance or VDI. My very first detector was a coinmaster when I was like 12 years old.
Anyways, I appreciate the comments and look forward to continuing to learn much more from this forum!

bullshrink

Jan 14, 2012
western mass
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

hi, i am from massachusetts and new to the hobby also.i had my heart set on the at pro also and after talking to the people at kellyco i ended up feeling like a made a good decision when i bought my detctor.call them up. mine arrives on fri. cant wait!!! new england is a great place to be when metal detecting. so many old fields, cellar holes,and historical sites.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cju,

When I buy an extra coil for a detector, I go ahead and buy an extra lower rod and hardware kit to attach the coil. They're not expensive at all.

I then wrap the coil around the lower rod, leaving enough coil for just a couple of quick wraps around the upper rod to attach to the control box.

I keep the coil around the lower rod in place with a strip of Velcro.

Why do all this?

Popping the lower rod off and putting in the new one allows me to change coils in less than a minute.

It sure beats unscrewing the coil from the rod and doing it all over again with the new coil.

Saves a lot of time and aggravation.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Smudge said:
cju,

When I buy an extra coil for a detector, I go ahead and buy an extra lower rod and hardware kit to attach the coil. They're not expensive at all.

I then wrap the coil around the lower rod, leaving enough coil for just a couple of quick wraps around the upper rod to attach to the control box.

I keep the coil around the lower rod in place with a strip of Velcro.

Why do all this?

Popping the lower rod off and putting in the new one allows me to change coils in less than a minute.

It sure beats unscrewing the coil from the rod and doing it all over again with the new coil.

Saves a lot of time and aggravation.
Great advice !

Give us a call if you need any other assistance!

Toll Free
7 days
855-966-3563

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread