any pointers?

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I am very new to the hobby and live in a very historical part of Virginia. Does anyone have any pointers for asking permission to hunt someone's yard or land? I don't have a problem confronting people, but I'm not sure how to make it sound like "Hi, I wanna dig holes in your yard, cool?" Any tips for success from the many people who seem to be digging everyone's yards up? :)

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I think I would practice up on your detecting and digging technique before you attempt peoples yards. Try your yard or abandoned lots,closed gas stations,old stores schools then when you start getting a little better at pinpointing start hitting some parks and when you are pretty sure you could find a good item if it was under your coil then try and get into maybe a relative or friends yard by then you should have your technique refined enough to try some strangers yards. If you search around this site you can find tips on anything detecting from tools and digging to permission slips that you can print out and mail to people. When I first started I was dying to hit some yards but Ive researched and kept my eyes open while driving and found so many spots I dont see the need to knock on doors for a while to come good luck in your hunting let us know how it goes :}

Shamus

Sep 27, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
One idea I had today is that it would be a good idea to carry about a two foot square piece of heavy plastic sheet such as Visqueen, and put the dirt on it when you dig in grassy areas. That way you don't get dirt and pebbles all over someone's lawn, plus you can get all of the dirt back in the hole so you don't leave a depression that someone might stumble over. I figure that if you take pains like this to keep people's lawns nice you might have a better chance getting the okay to dig.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Try a shallow bucket, you can scoop dirt in and it goes back real easy. It's also convienient for carrying tools.

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Howie Do,CJ,where in Va. are you ? We might be neighbors :) Before you go to any parks,call first and check.Should be under "Parks and Rec's" or call County Government and get the number.Some say OK,no problem,some say,NO Way. BUT,it all stars out with "Reasearch" Old maps,if you can find them,old government survey plats at the court house,and so on.My favorite is talking to the "Old Timers" be surprised what you can learn.
And if they invite you in,you will learn to enjoy some good strong coffee ;D I've heard a lot of stories,some BS,but you can't beat the company,and you will have a friend for life. ;D

OP
OP
captain Jack

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
already like strong coffee, and the stories (true or not) can't be beat. I know how to research, I guess what I am lacking is what to look for. I came across old maps, I know where lee's retreat was in Powhatan county (near me) I know union ships came up the james river and through Dutch Gap, both near me. Problem is, where to search, what to look for in the land or whatever. Well, part of the problem is that some of the historically rich areas are now very bad areas to be in if you have anything of value, or even if you don't for that matter. And most of the areas I could gain access to are basically woods. So what do I look for in the woods if there are no old buildings or anything persay?
I believe this is the area I am lacking. like I said I can research, I just need more direction.

BTW Papa, I am in Richmond. However I drive to charlottesville and everywhere else all the time. An hour or hour and a half trip is nothing for me if you ever wanna hook up for some MDing. Don't know where you are.

And although everyone on here seems to be pretty trustworthy in my short membership, I will say that I intend to enter this hobby with only the best ethics. I am not looking to steal anyone's sites or anything like that. I would be willing to share any research I do, for whatever that's worth. I just want to get out and have fun (hopefully finding a few things)

-Jeff

papa

Sep 21, 2006
cj,I'm just outside Galax,get down this way give me a yell.Might even spring for some joe.
Be glad to have you down,working on a few areas to go MD now.Just jot to get permission,one is a church,about 100 years old.The other is a old one room school house.That one might be a little tricky,time will tell.Couple more,but I'm having a terrible time contacting the owners. Having fun is what's it's all about. Who knows,I might learn something from you.What could be better,good coffee,spin some tall tails,and MD with a new friend :) This area is rich with history,just have to find out where ;D
Ya'll Come,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread