Oct 2, 2006
Full Time RVer based in TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I am new to this (and the USA Aussie expat), I received a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and am looking forward to trying it out, though I do have a question or two.
It seems there aren't many places you can 'legally' metal detect in the US (I'm in Oklahoma), is this correct?
Correct me if I'm wrong but are Ghost Towns off limits as well as public (City) parks, colleges, schools etc...what does that leave?

digdug_rita

Sep 28, 2006
I have detected for a number of years.....not constantly tho, like some some of the nice people on here. What I did was call the city manager and ask which parks were open to detecting in my little town. I have called the high school and spoke with the person in charge of security, and got his permission to hunt. You can go to the courthouse and get names and numbers of homeowners of abandoned homes to get permission to hunt old homestreads.... So far I have not been turned down. But I also assure them that when I am thru detecting the sight, you will never know that I had been there digging. That always seems to get the okay for me. I just sat down one day and called all the places I wanted to hunt to get permission...wrote names and numbers on a piece of paper and carry it with me so that if for some reason someone dares to confront me I have my permission givers names and numbers handy. I also got in touch with Texas Parks and Wildlife to find out the areas to stay out of. Just takes a little time and research...but wellll worth it!!!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
I,

welcome to the board.

Lot of places to hunt, just do some checking and
you will have more places then you can hit.

have a good un............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread