seasonal question: a few months to the thaw, anyone detect frozen ground?

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
counting down!!!!! a few months to the thaw, anyone detect frozen ground?

how do you manage to dig? I've also heard from someone that's an old timer in my area that in the early spring all the good silver is pushed up. anyone know about that? I've never heard anything about it before...I started detecting in 2011 and am itching to get back out as I'm researching places to go.... anyhow...what are your thoughts on going in early spring as the ground thaws???? best wishes all for 2012! :hello2:

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mfitzy111 said:
counting down!!!!! a few months to the thaw, anyone detect frozen ground?
a few months?? sounds so long

OP
OP
mfitzy111

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
just saying I don't know how you guys can dig the ground once it's frozen....it's like concrete here in pa! :BangHead: any hints or tips?

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of people using a cordless drill to get down under the frozen crust...Or.....You could be like me & wait till April (I also live in Pa.)

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Find a site in the woods. The ground freezes much later in the woods because of the leaf cover. Fortunately, the winter has been mild here in Ohio and the ground is still workable.

-Swartzie

keninkansas

Greenie
Feb 20, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excall-ll,minelabe explorer se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting everyday, bent my shovel in the shaded ground, 3 inch frozen ground is not going to stop me,ken

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting a bit also....upstate NY has had one of those really kind winters. We had alot of rain then it snowed....this formed a blankets so to speak and only froze the top inch of soil. Now I will say that with the ground so wet that any bare spots quickly freeze solid and I avoid them after a few days of sub freezing temps. I do however try to hit them the first day of freezing because they are les muddy and the plugs are easier to replace. I have also heard an old timer say he carried several coffee cans with lit charcoal in them and place them on his hitmarks until he layed them all out. Then he would start at the first one and dig away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread