Unsearched fairground????????

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Ok, here's the deal, I searched our local fairgrounds today(for about an hour and a half) and found about $1.30(total) - old pennies, three silver dimes,and some quarters. Most of these coins were 2-6" down over the old gravel fill. My question is - if a fairground is well hunted are finds like this common? Like I said, I was only there a short time, and it seems like there is more than there should be(not that I'm complaining). Would appreciate some advice on this one.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you found yourself a nice place that's not been pounded to death through the years. I would grid it out and disect it piece by piece, until it's picked nice and clean. ;D

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many times I think people see gravel and figure "it's filled", so they leave. If you're finding those kind of coins underneath the gravel, I would keep on searching. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Good luck!

OP
OP
gold fish

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Actually I'm hitting the coins in about 4-8" of topsoil on top of gravel. There was on old racetrack there, I think thats what I'm hitting. I have yet to check the location of the old grandstands.

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
For me to make up my mind, I'd actually need to be on site for a weekend or so. I would then be glad to answer your question with confidence. Now where did you say this was? ;D ;D

OP
OP
gold fish

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
holy cow, gypsy!!!!!!! Looks like alotta clad but still...........I'd trade ya fairgrounds!!!!!!

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I'm with Daytondigger. I think this site needs a physical, in-person inspection to be able to give you a really good answer to your question. GPS location would work. LOL Keep hitting it and hard.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
If your fairground is really old ,see if you can get old pics of it. i researched mine and saw where they used to have the horseraces in the late 1800's. Then thats where I am digging now.

S

shreddah

wow. those are cool finds on your link Gypsy.

I need to head down to my fair grounds. although I think a lot of it might be cement. guess ill have to check.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
What I read above is true and also it's extremely difficult to hunt ANY place totally out.

In fact I wonder if it is even possible.

I have places I've hunted for many years and every time I return to those sites I dig another silver coin or Indian cent or something much bigger.

Even today with our deeper better machines, people still hunt crappy. I see them from time to time and I'd swear they're cropping down weeds instead of detecting.

Here on TreasureNet we have a group of really serious hunters. We're the great exception to the rule.

Your experience at that fair ground is very good but not really that unusual for me if I bother to hunt such places. My thing is history so I hunt mainly relic sites. Back years ago I wanted only coins and I still have them all over the place in boxes. Today a horseshoe (or vintage coin, buckle, etc.) dug at an historic old west location means more to me than a seated dime from just anywhere. Odd ball...right?

If you're hung-up on finding old coins and history doesn't matter much to you, then go and hit all these "hunted out" fairgrounds/carnival grounds/parks and you'll have a pile of old coins before you know it.

Most of these coins are less than 6 inches deep. One park I've taken loads of Barber dimes from produces Barber's and Mercs at 2 to 4 inches. Like I say, people hunt crappy today.

Badger

BigMESA

Sep 21, 2006
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Sometimes gravel can have minerals in them that will cause alot of noise with detectors and alot of people will just get tired of the pops and clicks and move on.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
try to find old pics or old timers who can tell you where things were then...as, areas like where you pitched quarters and nickels into dishes,concessions, or where the ride turned you upside down will definantly produce much more than areas like where the kiddie rides were.......gldhntr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread