• 100_1477.jpg
    100_1477.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 308

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
I've used a compass a bunch but that sundial thing has me intrigued.

Things keep going the way they are with the Magnetic Inclination moving, you may need to use the N to head south soon! LOL

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Modern GPS blows away a compass and map for speed and accuracy. That is no reason to ignore the compass though. Batteries die, electronics fail, and satellites can be turned off by the government. Having the backups is a must for anyone who travels off the paved road, and even a few paved ones.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We always have a compass (usually 2) with us, as well as a GPS. (along with the maps that correspond to where we are going), and we check with both compass and GPS our travels.

Anything electronic can meet its "end" at any time - especially in bad terrain. It doesn't hurt - in fact, it is a plus, to know how to read a compass, and to know the delineation off-north you are, at all times.

For the GPS - obviously, a compass cannot mark waypoints by itself (you have to do it manually on a map), and a GPS can tell you where to make turns, etc.

Of course, neither one can tell you if the trail you are hiking into has a rattlesnake den in the middle, or a rock that takes a climbing ladder to get across.
For that - you always need your maps.

Beth

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a GPS to find my way in.

I take a compass if I need to find my way out.

I use my cell when I can for GPS... otherwise I use a Garmin.

My compasses I chose depend on the job. If I am mostly on dry land I use a German Prismatic. If I am kayaking I use a Brunton Eclipse.

If you invest in a good compass... and read Map Reading and Land Navigation by the US military.... and lay hands on some topo maps of your area ( can be found free online) you can easily get yourself out. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The GPS can tell you exactly where you are, but there exceptions like heavy overhead foilage or deep canyous. I always use the GPS where I can, but I always carry two compasses, a good one and one of those cheap ones you hang on your jacket zipper tab. Frank

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GPS won't help you when the streets are shut-down for two weeks due to the Superbowl. Gotta have a map and the compas would be nice. (Unless you know the area ;D)

Compass and a sundial...I'm in love.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any of you with smart phones checked out the app called Back country? There is a demo that is free, the full version is like $10. I'm still trying to figure it out, I would love to find out if I locate BLM land with it. I have a local BLM map, but would love if my phone would do it too so I can still see if I am in the BLM area or not.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GPS technology is great, but as most have mentioned batteries and electronics can fail. Did hear one time of a compass that failed due to the needle pivot locking up and always pointing in one direction, but that's exceedingly rare, I'd think.
luvsdux

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
The GPS can tell you exactly where you are, but there exceptions like heavy overhead foilage or deep canyous. I always use the GPS where I can, but I always carry two compasses, a good one and one of those cheap ones you hang on your jacket zipper tab. Frank
Frankn.... and others. It behooves you, me, and everyone else to know EXACTLY where we are before we step "off the road". A GPS is great. Great technology. I own 3. But it does NOT replace the compass and map. A GPS tells you where you are but if you don't already know... you are in trouble if the GPS fails. I fear the GPS will replace the map and compass for many people and that will be their doom. Learn the GPS but never loose the ability to use a map and compass.... my thoughts, that's all. Nice compass up there... I own MANY.... including my BABY at $900.00! TTC

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Used to hunt in big forested areas (hundreds of thousands of acres) with just a compass and a map (many times with just a compass). That was back in the day! Along comes gps's and i got a Brunton Navigator gps. Man that was a lot of fun. Took a lot of pressure off me. I'm old school though and like my compasses. Ones for directions and ones for metal detecting! A compass gets me there and a compass finds me stuff....

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
idigdirt said:
Used to hunt in big forested areas (hundreds of thousands of acres) with just a compass and a map (many times with just a compass). That was back in the day! Along comes gps's and i got a Brunton Navigator gps. Man that was a lot of fun. Took a lot of pressure off me. I'm old school though and like my compasses. Ones for directions and ones for metal detecting! A compass gets me there and a compass finds me stuff....
I agree, Idigdirt. Old school, new school, ANY school, the name of the game is "staying found"! Use all the tools available, and any tricks, but staying found is staying safe. TTC

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
There is another device that also fits in here. It is a kind of basic gps.It is a small, about the size of a silver dollar. You mark the start position and then just take off. When you want to return, just look at it and the arrow points to your start location. Simple, but it will get you back to the start position. Frank

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ideally I would have both and refer to each as I go. It has already been pointed out that electronics and batteries can fail as well as poor satellite reception in heavy cover. But compasses aren't always perfect either. A long time ago while coon hunting with my father we were a couple of miles in at night and took a compass reading when it was time to head out. We periodically checked the compass and after a couple of hours were beginning to think that something was wrong. Sure enough we dug out another compass to check and the two did not match up. The first compass had been taking us the wrong direction the whole time. Nothing like being lost in 7' corn at night trying to lead 3 coon dogs pulling on their leash.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Walkers, redbone or blue tick ? I use to run walkers Frank

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Walkers, redbone or blue tick ? I use to run walkers Frank

We raised redticks but ran the occasional blue as well. Dad won several competition hunts with a couple of those redticks including the Illinois state championship back in the '80s.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I have never seen a redtick, is it a cross? I started with black and tans, but they were to oily. When you pet them your hand was covered with oil. They were just about waterproof. We then ran walkers. The friendlyest "to humans" I have ever seen. The last dog I had was Gracie, an English bulldog. She was extremely friendly, unless you got to close to me. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread