Need help with my Ace 250 searchcoil

SeattleHistoryNut

Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Need help with my Ace 250 searchcoil

I got an Ace 250 for Christmas and now my birthday is coming up on Feb 15 and here's my dilemma: I don't know whether to ask for a sniper coil, the 8.5x11 DD coil, or the big 9x12. . . and what is the difference between the 9x12 and the 8.5x 11 besides size?? I mainly try and hunt for silver coins and I know the sniper is for trashy areas which there are some around where I like to go, I just am not sure which would be the best of the three?? Any help and input is much appreciated! Happy cold hunting!
-SHN

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Need help with my Ace 250 searchcoil

All coils will work for differant conditions...However if you dont have a pinpointer Id invest the money on a Garrett Pro pointer...You wont be sorry you did this instead

OP
OP
S

SeattleHistoryNut

Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dangit! I was going to throw the pro pointer in there too! Thanks for the input Kayden

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SeattleHistoryNut said:
Dangit! I was going to throw the pro pointer in there too! Thanks for the input Kayden
The propointer will help speed up finding targets therefore dig more goodies faster!

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro

Depends what type of areas you will be hunting. I mostly hunt grassy areas like sports fields and school play areas so I bought the 10" x 14" Excelorator coil. It works great on these large fields, you can cover a lot of ground in a day.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'll agree with mick, and kayden...

For now I'd go with the Excelorator and cover more ground.. Although it is a bit tricky to pinpoint with the 250 itself, you can do it.. It just takes a little getting used to :tongue3:

I am assuming that you are a student, so get a part time job and buy the Pro Pointer on your own :thumbsup:

chris725

Greenie
Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Here's my two cents... I'd say either go with the Propointer or the sniper coil. I had an Ace 250 about 3 years ago and found more with the sniper coil than the stock coil. After a while I didn't even bother starting a hunt with the stock coil, only to find out I was in a trashy area or around fences, equipment, etc. and would have to stop and switch out coils. Typically, unless I was in an open field or had alot of ground to cover, I would leave the sniper coil on for all hunts. On the other hand, if you don't hunt a lot of trashy areas, i'd definately go with the Propointer. It will help you get your target out of the ground quicker so you spend more time finding things than digging holes. I have one on order now. Either one of these two items I think would be the way to go (IMHO), but if you go for the sniper coil, go ahead and get the coil cover as well. It's cheap and will save the little bugger from getting beat up!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I've found many more goodies by using smaller coils in trashy areas. The large coils are good for covering ground in relatively trash free areas, but are much more prone to masking targets in areas with trash. If you have the patience, a small coil will serve you better over the long haul than a large one IMHO.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread