kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both detectors are good! I have an Ace250 & its a good little machine.1 thing that really helped me with the learning curve was all the videos on youtube....Just google Ace250 videos!

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My $.02.

When I started out almost 12 years ago, my first machine was a Garrett GTAx 400. The GTAx series was the precursor to the ACE series.

After a while, I noticed that I was digging everything above Iron. I also discovered that rings registered in the pulltab/nickel range.

Also, I found that bottle caps would show as quarters most times. I used the Garrett for over 8 years until I bought a Silver Umax.

After that, the only time I picked up the Garrett was to transport it to the person I was selling it to.

Please don't misinterpret this, I'm not bashing Garrett. Like I said, I used it for over 8 years, it was a rock solid machine, never had 1 second of trouble with it and dug plenty of goodies with it. I came to the realization though, that my way of hunting, I did not need an LCD screen.

The Silver Umax is lighter than the ACE. Not by much, but when you're hunting for 6-8 hours, every little bit helps.

The 9 volt battery seems to last forever in the Silver.

I set the discrimination dial to just above Iron and I go.

OP
OP
MetalDetector27

MetalDetector27

Jan 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
willie d said:
My $.02.

When I started out almost 12 years ago, my first machine was a Garrett GTAx 400. The GTAx series was the precursor to the ACE series.

After a while, I noticed that I was digging everything above Iron. I also discovered that rings registered in the pulltab/nickel range.

Also, I found that bottle caps would show as quarters most times. I used the Garrett for over 8 years until I bought a Silver Umax.

After that, the only time I picked up the Garrett was to transport it to the person I was selling it to.

Please don't misinterpret this, I'm not bashing Garrett. Like I said, I used it for over 8 years, it was a rock solid machine, never had 1 second of trouble with it and dug plenty of goodies with it. I came to the realization though, that my way of hunting, I did not need an LCD screen.

The Silver Umax is lighter than the ACE. Not by much, but when you're hunting for 6-8 hours, every little bit helps.

The 9 volt battery seems to last forever in the Silver.

I set the discrimination dial to just above Iron and I go.

Yep....I have enough evidence to make an informed decision. I have not found one negative comment or review about the Umax. How should I set it when it comes in? All metal? I am hunting a 1700's farm house.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All metal is the way I would go, at least to start out.. Around a 1700's house, you never know where a cool relic is gonna register as.

Depending how much nails and junk iron you dig at first, you may have to up the discrimination. Every site is different.

OP
OP
MetalDetector27

MetalDetector27

Jan 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
willie d said:
All metal is the way I would go, at least to start out.. Around a 1700's house, you never know where a cool relic is gonna register as.

Depending how much nails and junk iron you dig at first, you may have to up the discrimination. Every site is different.

Thanks WILLIE D!

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MetalDetector27 said:
willie d said:

Thanks WILLIE D!
You're welcome. Good luck.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a Tesoro Sidewinder Micromax and an Ace 250. I've only used the Ace 250 for about 20 hours and honestly the more I use it the less I like it. If it's found anything that's not copper or a coin, the icon bounces all over the place and you have up to three tones screaming at you at the same time. I'll probably end up religating the Ace to water hunting so I won't loose a good detector if it takes a bath.

Sorry off track there...go Tesoro all the way...the lifetime warranty is wonderful and this is a machine with just a little practice, you'll be pinpointing very narrow area.

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
I have the tesoro cibola, and think its a great little machine! Only prob i had was my kid left it outside it got wet, dried it out packed it in rice for a few days and it was working good as new again.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the top of the page to the White's emblem and click... coin master 179.99 White's are the best.sc%ew garret.

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just get yourself the $215 Fisher F2 package with 2 coils, pin pointer and free shipping. It has Great Discrimination, very fast recovery, the competition in that price range doesn't even come close to doing what this can do. Here's a video showing what it can do: http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/shop/fisher-f2-and-fisher-pin-pointer-kit/ weighs only 2.6 lbs too and easy on batteries

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I've owned both, and Silver Umax is way way better and more superior. I've already said why a dozen times on this forum.
Also Tesoro has a lifetime warranty.
Plus it got a perfect 5 star rating on metal detecting reviews!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread