Metal Detector Recommendation?

S

SierraSeven

Detector recommendation?

Hello

This isn’t treasure related but since this website deals with detectors, I thought I would ask you people.

I am looking for a recommendation on a metal detector for finding steel water pipes and cast iron sewer pipes about 12 inches under ground or maybe deeper.

Would a cheap $30 children’s toy metal detector work ::) or should I buy a professional detector? ???

I only need to find 2 pipes so I am looking for the lowest cost possible

Thanks

OP
OP
S

SierraSeven

Thanks.

Thats a good idea!

how do I rent one?

do they have detector rentals in the phone book?

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
You can either check with a local detector dealer who might rent one with a deposit or there might be a MD club nearby that can help locate it for you. Most clubs will do it for free but you can either throw them a small monetary bone or allow permission to hunt the rest of your yard as a courtesy. JMO

fldiver

Mar 12, 2006
Call your local utility company. They'll either turn you onto somebody to do it for you or they'll come out and do it. Many times they'll do it for free because it's cheaper for them than if you screw something up and they gotta fix it, also if they mark them wrong and something happens then they are liable, not you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You take two pieces of wire, ( 2 metal coat hangers will work ) about 12-14 inches long, bend then at 90 degrees about 1/4th of the way up.

Hold them in front of you loosely (spin easily) in your hands like they were pistols pointing forward.

Walk in the direction you thing the pipes are, when both wires spins directly toward each other like there was a magnet in the middle you are over a metal pipe, cable under ground, plastic water pipe.

Back up, move to left or right a few feet and try again, if it doesn't move then the pipes are running the opposite direction, as this method works best when you are not parallelto the pipes but rather approaching pipe at a 90 degree angle.If you slowly back up you will see the wires spin back toward the front again.

you walking----------> | <-- Pipe

I am not joking, I am dead serious, I did this for over 15 years as a backup to my cable locater to locate fiber optic and copper cables when I use to locate cables for a phone company I worked for.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
You are right treasure_hunter, it really does work I've never tried it myself but my retired neighbor bent some wire for his grandkids to try to find buried pipes. They were really mystified when those wires swung in their hands when they were over the pipes.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Treasure Hunter is correct as I have done this in my yard. Both wires took a turn in the direction the of the pipe pointing in opposite directions. It also works when you walk under power lines. I don't know why it works but it works.

OP
OP
S

SierraSeven

fldiver said:
Call your local utility company. They'll either turn you onto somebody to do it for you or they'll come out and do it. Many times they'll do it for free because it's cheaper for them than if you screw something up and they gotta fix it, also if they mark them wrong and something happens then they are liable, not you.

Thanks, I'll try that

OP
OP
S

SierraSeven

lumbercamp said:
You are right treasure_hunter, it really does work I've never tried it myself but my retired neighbor bent some wire for his grandkids to try to find buried pipes. They were really mystified when those wires swung in their hands when they were over the pipes.

I tried dowseing when I was a kid. It never worked. ;)

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Go get a tesoro cortez, and after you find the pipes, dig up some nice silver coins. This hobby is CRAZY addictive!!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It worked for me then and still does to this day. I can find any pipe or cable in the ground using a piece of bent wire. I was locating water pipes buried over 4 foot deep in Missouri as they had to be buried below the frost line which is quite deep there.

I found my cable and phone lines in my front yard here in Florida when I wanted to plant some plants. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread