What features should I be looking for?

Scott77

Jan 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks,

As I am investigating all-purpose beginner metal detectors, I am trying to find what features I should be paying attention to. So far, it looks like discrimination modes, search modes, tone ID, pinpoint mode, frequency operation and coil size are some of the features I should consider when purchasing an an entry level metal detector. Anything else I should be looking for? Most of my hunting will take place in northern Utah....school yards, forrests, light mountain terrain. I appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Scott

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Scott and welcome to Terasurenet
Those are all some pretty good features Just stay with the better names Fisher,Whites,tek,Minelab,Garrett,Bountyhunter. NO OFF BRAND
The best thing is to buy from one of the dealers on here Woodland,Bigboys and people like that, who will bend over backwards to inlighten,help you AFTER the sale.
There is a wealth of knowledge on here and many and most of the menbers will help you too.
Then learn the machine you buy listen to the tones and dig all at first to see what the detector is telling you, all gold rings and most IH pennys will falll in the pulltab range the best computer for this is in your head.
Thank Gary and good luck

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get a detector in a lower price band with a true ground balance do. Means you will be able to work more sites and work them more effectively.

Question is should you be buying a new low price detector (if you are intending to buy new) when there's so many secondhand detectors at around the same price point that will perform so much better. You may be able to transfer any outstanding warranty over and many dealers offer their own warranties.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread