How many is "too" many detectors?

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
How many is "too" many detectors?

Pulled out all my detectors to make sure that I had not left batteries in them. I did find three that had batteries in them of which one is going to have to have a new battery box. I did'nt realize that I have 15 plus detectors!!!! I just can't seem to quit keep buying them. All work except for two. Here's a list for those interested:

Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70, White's MXT, White's Beach Hunter ID, White's Eagle II SL, White's 4900 Pro Plus, White's CoinMaster Classic III, Garrett TR Disc., Garrett ADS, Tesoro Sting RAY II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Wilson-Neuman Daytona, Compass 320 Magnum, A.H. Electronics Back Packer II, Fisher Model 442 and three or four more out in the shed!!!!!!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: How many is "too" many detectors?

you have a few more then me I only have 5. Whites DFX, Whites Surfmaster II, Whites Surfmaster, Excal II, and a Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter.....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If your other half ignores it, it's not too many. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others

bigscoop said:
If your other half ignores it, it's not too many. :thumbsup:

It used to be an issue until she figured out that I was going to do whatever I wanted to do. Then she gave up! If the bills ever suffered then I think I would be "up the creek" with only a detector to row with! LoL

kevkirki

Jul 16, 2011
denver, colorado
Detector(s) used
M6/coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have to ask......the one you swing the most :tongue3:

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used

kevkirki said:
I have to ask......the one you swing the most :tongue3:

Lately, not much swinging. Seems like I favor my old White's Eagle II SL though! Been doing a lot of other things in the past year. Need to get out a little more othen. I have a little hobby machine shop that has been occupying all my time.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We are only on the Earth for so long a time. So long as we have something that we enjoy doing whats the harm. Course some of us enjoy whacking people, but that is another story.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If you...
a) Have the discretionary income to afford them
b) space to properly store them, not hoard them
c) You use or enjoy them all
d) Your spouse isn't threatening divorce over them
e) They get you out of the house when the women want to have one of those shop at home parties.
f) You find silver and gold.

Plus they are more economical than a car collection. Not to mention insurance is cheaper on these.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Well we should all have at least: 1 with TID, 1 beep and dig detectior, 1 water detector, 1 prospecting detector, 1 general purpose detector for coins etc.1 to backup the detector we use or like most, and 1 for the wife if she detects. That's only 7, I'm sure someone can suggest several more. LOL Oh, 1 with manual ground balance - may be combined with one of the other options.
luvsdux

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You're not the only one I have 12. Like a bag full of golf clubs, you need different ones for different shoots....

My main deep coin machines: Fisher CZ6, 2 CZ5's as back up.
Compitition machines: Tesoro Conquestador, Fisher 1235X, Whites Prizim I with bigfoot coil.
Water machines: Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280X
Black sand / salt water machine: Whites Surfmaster P.I.
Beach machine night hunting: Fisher Coinstrike
Antique collection machines: Goldak (early 1960's), Relco Pacesetter, mid 1970's

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lets see,

1. 5 White's

2. 2 garrets

3. 1. box loop coil,1. 15" maximum coil 1. 10"by14"dd coil.

...........................................................................................liftloop......................................

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I like the idea of an arsenal of different detectors for different uses...as long as you can afford them. I've sold off detectors to buy others, gave up one hobby and sold off assets to persue another... As long as I can afford it and it doesnt interfere with other parts of my life...why not??

Al

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

So lets see, if I detect the south pole, I'll need a detector just for that, but if I go to Mars I'll need another detector because the metal in the ground acts different.
I better add an addition to the House because I might decide to detect the back yard and I'll need a back yard detector :laughing7:

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT..it is a Pro, but I am a rookie.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am still shopping for my first MD (which led me here) but I think the standard answer applies.
My wife will wander out into my shop (I call it The Skunk Works) and ask me how many more project cars/boat I need, how can I use all the tools, when will all this be done?

"I will let ya know dear. I know we are close, but not there yet"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread