Close Call!

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Close Call!

:o Today, I thought I'd check out this site I've driven by a few times. Old halfway tumbled down house?, 2-3 outbuildings, 4' bushes,etc.

Nobody lives for 1/4 mi. around. I drive in & park. Get out the trusty 250. Notice there's a lot of junk metal. (thought of Gypsy then)

Meanwhile, I'm trying to pull weeds, detect & look where I'm going all at the same time! I finally get a decent signal, start digging, &

It's a 62 .25! Not too Shabby, I think. Silver is Silver! so I 'm walking up to the porch & get a Big Signal! I bend down to pull the weeds

& find myself eye to eye w/ about a 4' Rattler! In trying to stand up, & get away, I fall over. I jump up & due to the weeds, etc, I can't

see where the snake went! since I only had Jeans & Reg. Shoes on, I figured I had better come back another time. Whewwww! Scary!!

Joe :o

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Close Call!

WOW! That sounds like a close call...I hate snakes, they'll strike you before you know what happened. whew

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That was a close call. Nice find on the 1/4 too. You have approx. 2 hours...1.5 if you run...and never ever tournequet.....Good luck with that house though. I believe the Depot sells some hard plastic knee-length guards. I have some anad they are olive drab green...Check em out...they wrap around the leg and are snug. very nice to have...

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Cool Cool Cool ! But I wouldnt have left after finding silver! Heck ,I dont even let a little bitty snake chase me away from rusty metal..! Hahaha....Do what I would do...whack him with your heel! ;)I would be wearing a nice rattler snake about now if it was me .LOL! I hope you return and find tons of silver!

OP
OP
buscadero

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Thanks everybody! I'll pick up some Snake Guards! I came from Mich. where snakes are not a problem! I will go back there tho!

If I knew where the darn thing went, I would have done something!

Gypsy: I Know! You'd be Chowing down on Rattler Stew Tonight! ;) Joe

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Ya gotta go back. Maybe the snake was guarding a treasure. LOL Just be careful since he didn't warn you in advance the last time. ;)

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hope you didn't lose the Quarter ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Close call glad to hear you didn't get bit.

DirtyHowi

Oct 6, 2006
somewhere in the middle of nowhere iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 Thank You Santa :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BigMESA said:
That is exactly why I have a concealed weapon permit and a S&W .357

useless against things without legs...last i looked they dont' make shot shells in that caliber (least not round here). carry .22 pistol with shot shells for just such an occaision. then you get the cache and a good bowl of rattle snake chili

S

stefen

Why son, them is Californy inch worms...use them for bait all da time.

Best used after banging them over the head with a shovel or whatever.

And them snakes don't taste like chicken either...taste like grissely snake.

OP
OP
buscadero

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

:D As the years go by the Rattler will get longer, & I'll get braver! Laying on the ground , wondering where it went, Yes, I was a Candya$$
yesterday! ::)

Joe

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Dirtyhowi - I have some 38/357 shotshells made by CCI.Check with your local gun dealer,he can probably order them or you can buy them off the internet.However now,besides a regular sidearm,I also have and carry a side by side derringer that fires 3" 410s or 45 longs.I keep the 410's,#6,loaded.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DirtyHowi said:
BigMESA said:
That is exactly why I have a concealed weapon permit and a S&W .357

useless against things without legs...last i looked they dont' make shot shells in that caliber (least not round here). carry .22 pistol with shot shells for just such an occaision. then you get the cache and a good bowl of rattle snake chili

there is a rat shot for a .357. i saw them many years ago and it had a clear blue plastic cap and you could see the shot inside.

my father-in-law and his friend wasted a whole box of .38s shooting at a snake in dry creek and never hit him.....too funny

S

stefen

Years ago I was working with the O'Malley family on their new residences in Anaheim Hills.

Apparently a rattler somehow got into a roll of insulation before it was lifted to the 2nd story attic.

There was a double set of doors similar to a front entry on the second floor leading into the attic. Mr. O'Malley almost stepped on the rattler when he was walking along the attic planked walkway.

In any event, the wife wouldn't move into the house until the snake was caught or killed. So they hired a snake guy who used a cane-like instrument that carried a snake-load shotgun shell.

Long story short---there was a few holes in the ceiling below before the snake was finally killed a few months later.

About a dozen or so snakes were killed on-site thru the construction period.

A snake fence was constructed around the yard facing the native open-space.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LMAO!!!! Been there done that. Think about the poor old snake though. Laying there, taking a snooze, and a monster type shows up out of no where. He's probably still telling his buddies "You guys aren't going to believe what happened me" ....they'll ask.... "Well, did ya bite him Sam?" and old Sam will reply...."Hell no, he was 20' tall, had a 10' steel arm, and could fly like one of those big birds. I ran like hell!!".... Have a good one.
Deepsix

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

While at my hunting lease last summer me and two of my hunting buddies were walking down an old WPA road that runs through the property. One of the guys was in the lead and suddenly whips out his .380 automatic and starts screaming, jumping up and down and shooting the ground! We thought he had gone nuts! Finally he was able to get the word "SNAKE" out! He emptied his gun and came hopping and jumping back toward us while he reloaded in mid flight and fired another 8 rounds as fast as he could pull the trigger. We went up to see what he was shooting at and there was a small rattler with only two rattles coiled up on the road bed. The sticks and stones and brush all around it was blown to bits but not one shot had hit the snake! My other buddy calmly picked up a tree limb and smashed the snake's head with one quick blow. He turned to Mike and said, "Why don't you run back to camp and gets some more ammo, Annie Oakley!" By this time I was rolling on the ground laughing, but being very careful to keep an eye out for another snake! To this day we call MIke, "Annie" around camp.

OP
OP
buscadero

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

That .22 w/ Shot shells sounds pretty good! I don't want too large a weapon! Overkill & all that! Besides, I do a lot of hunting within the City Limits, & they would frown on my firing a Ma Deuce!

Thanks for the advice

Joe 8)

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Nice find. Glad you are ok and the rattler did not strike. I found myself that close once as well and still don't know why I was not bitten. Especially since I was rock climbing and pulled myself up eye to eye with an adult in front of the den where I saw some little ones. Alteast think it was den area under rock cropping.

Rev

OP
OP
buscadero

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

:D MRS O: In this day & age, There is a certain someone who has not learned how to do the Pic thing! All I have is a Scanner & I
Hav'nt figured it out yet!

Joe ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread