This stinks Im unemployed

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Re: This stinks I'm unemployed

DP, don't give up. You are not by yourself. But I have to agree with Shermanville,no one wants us old farts.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Hey, me too! My job is seasonal. What really bites is that I've been wiped out with a cold for 2 weeks (worst one I've ever had!!!)... I haven't even had the motivation to metal detect! (let alone work on the 147 projects I haven't finished)

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's tough all over. I have been there too. Not now, but, I feel your collective pain. I hope you all find something soon or change lanes!! GL

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300

Hey Bob

Been there done that - got the boot almost 6 years ago. Decided never to work for anyone again. Took what I love to do and made it my job (No, not detecting !)

Don't pay as well, but I enjoy it, and when I get an @$$ - chewing from the boss, I don't take too seriously !

Diggem'

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea been there done that. It always got better though. Hope it does for you.

Burdie

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

I think we've all been there a time or two- I know I sure have. Keep a stiff upper lip and look at it as an opportunity to better your position elsewhere. I sincerely hope you do better where you wind up! :)

Glenns5900

Dec 14, 2005
Longmont, CO USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro (not SL) Old, but still good

Looks like I just jumped into the same boat.

My contracting manager called me last Friday to say that my last day at work will be Oct 20. The company that I have been supporting for the last 2 1/2 years is closing the location I am working at by the end of the year. So much for 26 years in the Information Technology industry. At least I have my other part time job. Fixing toilets, cleaning rain gutters, replacing broken tile, patching drywall, repairing decks - yada yada yada....

I finally figured out why the picture on my company badge has a red background. It's kind of like wearing a red shirt on the original Star Trek series. You beam down with the landing party and Zap - You're expendable.

All the jobs are going to India or Costa Rica.
Can you say "No hable Farci"?
When all the jobs go to other countries and we don't have any work for us, we stop buying everything. I can feel a rant coming on............. (biting my tongue now).

No job.
No money.
No health insurance.
No nothing.
In debt up to my eyeballs.
Insurance poor.
Soon - no place to live.
Now too poor to pay attention.

'nuff said.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

to all you guys been there also :-X
go shoot up the place
not the people
just stuff
;D

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Being unemployed sucks, I've been their (3 months) and couldn't land a decent job which paid anything. Finally, just when I give up hope, a job came through.

Don't give up, some employers are actually still looking for older type men and women with good quality work ethics and decades of experience. On the other hand, some companies see the older person as a liability due to medical insurance.

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks ALL I hope I can get back up on my feet....This is the second time in over 20 years .. I would feel guilty if I went out M D during the day so I'll do it on the weekends...

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This may not help anyone but, who knows. If you're male you almost have to be a veteran but there are jobs all over. If nothing else, this will give you another site to browse while you're off. Good luck usajobs.gov

DirtyHowi

Oct 6, 2006
somewhere in the middle of nowhere iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 Thank You Santa :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

depending on what it is you do, try monster or career builder, it stinks i know, been there once or seven times. Finally found a perm gig in IT and have managed to not scare HR into letting me go yet :). you may want to consider changing states, something i have been trying to get my inlaws to do before the end up living under a bridge, they live in state 50 of the best states to find a job, while down here not 3 states over companys are just beggin for people, with my FIL skills no less. wouldn't be here a week i bet and he'd be employed again. not a day goes by that i don't get a call from someone looking to fill a position.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I couldn't get out and goof off either. I'd see my wife off to work and start feeling all depressed, fortunately, this job opened up just in time. Hang in their, something will come along.

Sorry to hear about that, but I think everyone's been in your shoes at one time or anohter.

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota

DesPlaines_IL_Bob said:
Thanks ALL I hope I can get back up on my feet....This is the second time in over 20 years .. I would feel guilty if I went out M D during the day so I'll do it on the weekends...

Best of luck to you- your in the same boat as a lot of People--
Don't feel guilty about MDing during the week-- opportunity
might knock!! :) just when you need it most!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Best of luck Bob, truly wish I could help you.

I worked for General Telephone for 15.5 years, quit them and went to work for company called Wiltel owned by Williams Gas and Pipe, worked for them for 6 years and Wiltel was bought by company called LDDS, they formed a new company called, now get this.........WorldCom :o

Worked for them for total of 16 years for WorldCom and was hurt on the job one day and laid off 30 days later >:(. While I was getting ready for surgery, the scandal broke with WorldCom, :'( and by the time I was able to move as much $ as I could, I had lost a measley $150k, :'( :'( :'( my retirement, and I had planned to retire early, oops too late now.

Went to work for another company after surgery and was laid off after 6 months, took 8 months to find another job, and was laid off from it after 9 months. Workmens Comp sent me to school for a 18 month course as they said they could make the former insurance company for Worldcom pay me to go to school. Exactly one year later to the day that insurance company stop my checks, even though the school was not finished.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool

That realy sucks Bob, I was laid off for two months, was called back as a "consultant" 3 weeks ago but its only temporary. I just signed a contract for another week (60 hrs) today. I get to look forward to unemployment checks again very soon, just as the snow is about to fly. Sucks lookin fer work in 2 foot of snow. Hang in there, things will work themselves out & you'll land an even better job soon. Realy....... :)

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.

I'm outta work too, but have been on quite a few interviews this week so hopefully...

I know it sucks. I've been out of work twice this year. One job relocated and the other had to let me go after only three months because of budget problems.

My fingers are crossed I'll land something with the state. The pay kinda sucks but there is more job security. Hang in there and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread