This stinks Im unemployed

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Re: This stinks I'm unemployed

Don't know if it is helpful or encouraging for those of you out of work to hear recovery stories, but here is mine.

After 23 years of steady work in the IT industry at 3 companies, in progressively more responsible positions, good pay increases, etc. I was laid off last September. I saw the writing on the wall - my boss didn't like me and sent multiple signals to me - but the first layoff of my life was still a shock. I collected my unemployment and took some time to 'find myself' and think about what I wanted to do.

I was probably luckier than most in getting a new job. A VP of a company I had worked with tried to reach me at my former employer and ultimately tracked me down at home. He offered me a job and I started full-time in January. Smaller company, less responsibility, lower pay, and much less stress. Overall, a far better result than I would have imagined.

Best of luck to those in search of employment...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You got that, Pokerbear. I was at Anitec 17-1/2 years and figured I'd retire from there, as did most folks there. IBM is (was) just down the road in Endicott and that was the Rock of Gibralter until PC clones and non-A/S 400 systems. You got in there you didn't even have to work for the rest of your career. Not no more. Locally it's six splintered firms that live and die like flies. IBM no longer has a presence in it's birth city.

Change is inevitable. I got through it by realizing it doesn't say anywhere on my birth certificate that the world owes me anything and learning to appreciate what does come along. That, and having married my best friend and world's most wonderful woman out of college BEFORE I even had a job. We can do poor. I put her through college working two jobs after she lost her job, she spotted me while I was low (twice - I worked for Fairbanks Valve, a 200 year old company that went under to cheap Asian valves in 1982). I set my sights low (too low some say) so I'm happy with whatever comes along that doesn't involve blindness or a fatal disease. ;)

I do believe God will provide. I can't remember how many Jehova's Witnesses we ate in 1983 and 1984 while I was looking for work.

W

WEIM

Check this out.

Been in the US Air Force 24 years active duty and as an ART. Been in all Mid East conflicts.
I was 1 year short of an early retirement when Katrina hit. They decided to close down our squadron
2 years early, and guess what? I & others actually got laid off from the Department of Defense, after all I did
and went through, my government screwed us over!!!! Even got turned down for a Small Business loan
to help recover from Katrina bt FEMA. Think of the BILLIONS of our tax payers money that is getting ripped off
by crooked contractors over in Iraq. I can hardly believe the people of Iraq are getting my retirement money.

My new motto " Every Man For Himself"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread