Recreational metal detectorist all over the United States I need your help!

Arky 1

Oct 1, 2006
In checking with the Arkansas Parks Department they have a very strict directive in place on metal detecting the Excutive Director & the Director of the Parks Department are reluctant to discuss there concerns and work out there problems so the directive won't be so strict (this is not even a law just a directive issued by the Parks Department) but if a whole lot of people start email them and asking why maybe they will come around here are there email addresses thanks for your help in this matter say you are requiring on the behalf of the recreational metal detectorist of Arkansas

[email protected]
[email protected]

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is just my opinion, but, I would tend to think that if you haunted this forum for a while and built a little rapport with the fine folks here then maybe you might receive a little assistance in your quest. The world of metal detectorists I think will unite in more or less in theory alone.

I would be happy to assist you in your endeavour, although, one or two e-mailings a month, to "the man", for a couple of months and you will become the target of some nasty nuisance governmental do gooder who will enjoy shutting down every hope you ever had about removing the loose change from state owned soil. You see, they will ignore one e-mail from you. Too many e-mails andyou are harassing them. To get enough people to send one e-mail alone is the type of fruitless effort that will champion your cause.

You need a petition. With the names and addresses of legitimate people. Find out from your state what they require in order for them to consider a petition from a movement. Number of signers will be very important. You organize and present the effort and others will soon follow. Your road will be long as the wheels of government move very slowly. So slowly, in fact, that if you push too hard they will roll backward.

Professional and clean with sheer numbers, I feel, is the only way to approach the state, because, they can always choose "block sender" from the message options in Outlook Express, and, your issue will no longer exist to them.

GL and HH where you can. Let me know what you put together. I lived in Oklahoma for three years. I know what kind of history lies in wait there.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Will.Dig.For.Food said:
It is just my opinion, but, I would tend to think that if you haunted this forum for a while and built a little rapport with the fine folks here then maybe you might receive a little assistance in your quest. The world of metal detectorists I think will unite in more or less in theory alone.

I would be happy to assist you in your endeavour, although, one or two e-mailings a month, to "the man", for a couple of months and you will become the target of some nasty nuisance governmental do gooder who will enjoy shutting down every hope you ever had about removing the loose change from state owned soil. You see, they will ignore one e-mail from you. Too many e-mails andyou are harassing them. To get enough people to send one e-mail alone is the type of fruitless effort that will champion your cause.

You need a petition. With the names and addresses of legitimate people. Find out from your state what they require in order for them to consider a petition from a movement. Number of signers will be very important. You organize and present the effort and others will soon follow. Your road will be long as the wheels of government move very slowly. So slowly, in fact, that if you push too hard they will roll backward.

Professional and clean with sheer numbers, I feel, is the only way to approach the state, because, they can always choose "block sender" from the message options in Outlook Express, and, your issue will no longer exist to them.

GL and HH where you can. Let me know what you put together. I lived in Oklahoma for three years. I know what kind of history lies in wait there.

Excellent post. Right on the button I think

Postalrevnant

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
better yet ask the mods or admin to make a sticky in leagl issue's
arky has good reason to "stick it to the man"'
then again
will dig has a valid point also
soooooo
arky try working private property(with permission of course,lots o' guns live down there ;) ) till the "directive "is changed

OP
OP
A

Arky 1

Oct 1, 2006
will.dig.for.food, you make some good points and let me say that there is a petition currently with 800 names, I am working with State Legisltors to get a bill together to have more realistic guide lines for recreational metal detecting on State Parks. I have researched all 48 States and there is no law restricting recreational metal detecting only directives which is the same as a law but is enacted by one man the Director of State Parks yes there is a lot of other places to metal detect but I pay 1000's of dollars a year in tax's to run these parks and should have access to them. if we sit around and wonder what the government might or could do if we stand up for are rights the United States is going to become a sad place to live. the main reason to ask for help here at this forum was to see how united the metal detecting community was which in the responses I have had they are not united at all, because what I had in mine was the National Parks Service is also governed by a directive not a law but thats a dream because people are worried about what could or might happen please learn to stand up for your rights as a citizen of the United States of America we don't want to end up like England or Canada

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like reasonably enticing information except for one thing. You provide me with no information of anything that has already been done. As I said. I would help you by signing whatever petition is out there, but, so far I have nothing. I don't mind standing up for my rights. I would be the first one say, 'that's not right or fair' or even 'kiss my a%s, I'm not doing it.'

My point is that Arkansas is your state. Not mine. I have my own state to worry about and most of us are working class folks who don't get out all that much anyway. As for standing up for my rights, I don't see how detecting in a park is a 'right'. You pay taxes yes, and that money helps keep a place open for you and yours to visit. Not to just do as you please just because you want to. Movement. Power. Numbers. The government only understands being bullied in a legal way. I can not stand up for 'your rights' unless you give me a leg to stand on. That leg would be the info I asked for. The info you say is out there. Remember. You brought this here to us. We didn't look you up. If you want help. Don't write a post that asks for it and then offer nothing in return. That is just as good as asking us to do it for you.

My eyes, though...

OP
OP
A

Arky 1

Oct 1, 2006
Will.Dig.For.Food said:
Sounds like reasonably enticing information except for one thing. You provide me with no information of anything that has already been done. As I said. I would help you by signing whatever petition is out there, but, so far I have nothing. I don't mind standing up for my rights. I would be the first one say, 'that's not right or fair' or even 'kiss my a%s, I'm not doing it.'

My point is that Arkansas is your state. Not mine. I have my own state to worry about and most of us are working class folks who don't get out all that much anyway. As for standing up for my rights, I don't see how detecting in a park is a 'right'. You pay taxes yes, and that money helps keep a place open for you and yours to visit. Not to just do as you please just because you want to. Movement. Power. Numbers. The government only understands being bullied in a legal way. I can not stand up for 'your rights' unless you give me a leg to stand on. That leg would be the info I asked for. The info you say is out there. Remember. You brought this here to us. We didn't look you up. If you want help. Don't write a post that asks for it and then offer nothing in return. That is just as good as asking us to do it for you.

My eyes, though...

All I am asking is for an email so these guys know there is a lot of interest in the hobby I have done the same locally also, if you don't wish to help that is fine thank you for taking the time to read my post :)

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arky 1 said:
Will.Dig.For.Food said:
I sent this to your boys over in arkie-ville. I sent it because I happen to like AK and go there a couple of times a year. Lot of good friends over there and in Okie-homa. Let's see what they say.
===========================================================================================

My eyes, though...

All I am asking is for an email so these guys know there is a lot of interest in the hobby I have done the same locally also, if you don't wish to help that is fine thank you for taking the time to read my post :)
Dear Sir,

My name is Michael #$%^& and I live in Houston, Tx. I lived in Oklahoma for three years as a youth and have frequented

Arkansas many many times. As a matter of fact, Sugarloaf and Cavanal were two of the places I spent much time hiking and

camping as a youth.

I have been going to the Cossatot River State Park every, year for many years, to a certain gathering that takes place. A

gathering of oldtimers who sit around and talk about life and history and current events. We spend our money, as out of

state visitors, in your fine state for a week, sometimes twice a year, on the purchase of fishing permits, bait and tackle,

food, fuel, and other things. There are thousands of dollars spent from our out-of-state friends who gather there. We don't

ask for much. As a matter of fact, I am the only one in the group, that I am aware of, that metal detects. I am, however,

not the only one in AK that detects.

I am a recreational metal detectorist and I really enjoy my hobby. It has come to my attention, from one of my acquaintences

there, that there is currently no law in place preventing the fine folks of my hobby from indulging themselves in our great

past time, on state park land. I would like to know, directly from the people in charge of this issue, whether or not this

is truely a banned activity, by law, or simply a directive from someone who is in a position to make these types of decisions

against the public. I would also like to know, if this is a simple directive, which channels I would need to follow in order

to pursue an avenue which may help myself and others to overturn such a decision.

There are many hundreds of people in your great state, who, want to dig, who, will cover all trace of activity, who, will

remove countless pounds of litter and in general leave no trace of themselves. Organized people, in the forums where we

discuss these issues, preach cleanliness, respect, and good values as hobbyists. We are not out to destroy lands take away

artifacts or deprive the state anything due it, however, without the recovery of any artifacts by these hobbyists, many of

these relics and vintage items will go to rot.

I would greatly appreciate knowing what would cause a person to make such a ruling against this activity. This may information could help us in our plight.

I suggest a coalition between civilians and state personnel where rules are set down for detectorists, possibly a testing and

permitting procedure, and an ethics outline for the digging and removal of any finds. This agreement can include

documentation between the finder and state personnel where any finds are logged and signed off on by both parties. The state

can elect to keep certain types of relics and artifacts and other types of finds could go to the hobbyist.

In advance of your reply, I thank you for taking the time to read my letter and, good day.

Michael #$%^&

OP
OP
A

Arky 1

Oct 1, 2006
Will.Dig.For.Food said:
Arky 1 said:
Will.Dig.For.Food said:
I sent this to your boys over in arkie-ville. I sent it because I happen to like AK and go there a couple of times a year. Lot of good friends over there and in Okie-homa. Let's see what they say.
===========================================================================================

My eyes, though...

Dear Sir,

My name is Michael #$%^& and I live in Houston, Tx. I lived in Oklahoma for three years as a youth and have frequented

Arkansas many many times. As a matter of fact, Sugarloaf and Cavanal were two of the places I spent much time hiking and

camping as a youth.

I have been going to the Cossatot River State Park every, year for many years, to a certain gathering that takes place. A

gathering of oldtimers who sit around and talk about life and history and current events. We spend our money, as out of

state visitors, in your fine state for a week, sometimes twice a year, on the purchase of fishing permits, bait and tackle,

food, fuel, and other things. There are thousands of dollars spent from our out-of-state friends who gather there. We don't

ask for much. As a matter of fact, I am the only one in the group, that I am aware of, that metal detects. I am, however,

not the only one in AK that detects.

I am a recreational metal detectorist and I really enjoy my hobby. It has come to my attention, from one of my acquaintences

there, that there is currently no law in place preventing the fine folks of my hobby from indulging themselves in our great

past time, on state park land. I would like to know, directly from the people in charge of this issue, whether or not this

is truely a banned activity, by law, or simply a directive from someone who is in a position to make these types of decisions

against the public. I would also like to know, if this is a simple directive, which channels I would need to follow in order

to pursue an avenue which may help myself and others to overturn such a decision.

There are many hundreds of people in your great state, who, want to dig, who, will cover all trace of activity, who, will

remove countless pounds of litter and in general leave no trace of themselves. Organized people, in the forums where we

discuss these issues, preach cleanliness, respect, and good values as hobbyists. We are not out to destroy lands take away

artifacts or deprive the state anything due it, however, without the recovery of any artifacts by these hobbyists, many of

these relics and vintage items will go to rot.

I would greatly appreciate knowing what would cause a person to make such a ruling against this activity. This may information could help us in our plight.

I suggest a coalition between civilians and state personnel where rules are set down for detectorists, possibly a testing and

permitting procedure, and an ethics outline for the digging and removal of any finds. This agreement can include

documentation between the finder and state personnel where any finds are logged and signed off on by both parties. The state

can elect to keep certain types of relics and artifacts and other types of finds could go to the hobbyist.

In advance of your reply, I thank you for taking the time to read my letter and, good day.

Michael #$%^&
This is exactlly the type of support I am talking about thank you so much for your help in this matter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread