need everyones advice..please read and help

Epiphany

Feb 5, 2008
Dutchess County New York
Detector(s) used
ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...i have had a bounty hunter qd2 for 6 years now that i just dont like, too inconsistent. I have 6 hundred too spend, im thinking an at pro, which seems to suite my needs, being i cant afford a minelab e trac ...any input at all of any brand detector is much appreciated..i live in the north east and i go for coins and relics.. i havent found silver in two years now...very fustrated being that i spend much time at places where i can find a 1906 Indian and not a damn merc or or evan a roseie....once again any input is appreciated..... Craig....

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MXT....Everything you will need in a detector.

kkfos1975

Jun 7, 2010
Dyersburg, Tn
Detector(s) used
V3I, DFX, XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the above. You can also call dwight at whites and get good prices on refurbished whites equipment. For 600.00 you could probably pull off a refurb dfx with a two year warranty. pm me if you need help contacting him. Hope this helps. On wed or thurs I am going to go up to the v3i and I will have a dfx available also, still has bout 19 months left on the warranty.

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think the Xterra 705 or the Teknetics Omega with the DD coil would both be simple and fantastic machines.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had an MXT since they came out! It can't be beat (mho),but, I did go and buy the AT Pro week before last
and have to say IT ROCKS! For the money you can't buy a better detector (imho). You would be happy with either unit! HH

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There are a lot of people that will tell you there favorite brands. What you should have asked is what brand and model are you using, name the deepest coin and relic you have found with it and at what dept.
You don't want to waste your time reading, don't leave home without it, or this is the best detector for you.
There are a lot of"Branded" people on T Net. Frank

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have lots of expensive detectors and can tell you that it isn't the detector as much as where you are searching. Many hunters hit the same spots because they are easy to get too or are public property. Expand your hunts to private property by gaining permission. You don't need a detector with a screen to have fun and start finding silver. Go off the unbeaten path and remember to have fun and older coins will come your way.

Good luck,
Sandman

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I have lots of expensive detectors and can tell you that it isn't the detector as much as where you are searching. Many hunters hit the same spots because they are easy to get too or are public property. Expand your hunts to private property by gaining permission. You don't need a detector with a screen to have fun and start finding silver. Go off the unbeaten path and remember to have fun and older coins will come your way.

Good luck,
Sandman

Agreed.....From a fellow new yorker (upstate) I will say you can use the newest minelab or the oldest and cheapest generic brand, the site and/or research you put into it is what really matters. I still swear that my $60 bounty hunter gold digger has found much more than any other detector i've owned....its all about the site :) ......but if your looking for a suggestion....MXT. Does well with the relics and the coins. Also a sniper coil if you are working the cellar holes. Good luck and happy hunting!!!

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:

Good luck,
Sandman
Agreed 100 % ...Its not the detector...You just havnt put your detector over silver yet!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hope this help....

What I look for is, how deep the dept gauge goes. you want at lest 12" on the scale..It,s like a speedometer in a car, you want to buy the one that goes up to 160 mph, not 80 mph.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out Woodland Detectors. BUY LOCAL. Buy from one of our own! TTC

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went through this, but getting into the hobby period, I wanted a good detector. I had about the same price range while I was looking, and was pretty set on the Minelabs Xterra 705, but then I came into an extra couple hundred bucks from a job, and went with a brand new Whites MXT Pro.
I can't say it is better then any other detector because it is the only one I have used, but I can say I have yet to regret it. I have not used it more than a few times over the last month, and have yet to find anything of real value, but I have hit a billion targets, just nothing good yet.

The guy at Woodland gave me some great advice when I posted here asking about detectors, as well as a couple other people, but all in all in boiled down to discussions with the local dealers, Minelabs, and White. I ended up going with the whites mainly because he took me out and showed me how it worked before I even committed to buying it. I really like the feel of it, and was comfortable with it, so I jumped on it.

I would suggest going to your local dealers and asking to test each machine and see which one feel right to you, you obviously have some experience, and so probably have an idea of what you want to begin with.

No matter what I don't think you can go wrong in that price range, should be able to pick up a really nice machine.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
look around old apple trees kids used to clime apple trees and spill their pockets.
Go to the local barber shop and as the older guys where whey swam or played baseball back in the day us old guys love to talk the past.
go the the public liebery cold now anyhow do so local research. Or you could go to one of the on line detector shops here woodland or backwoods have great shops i enjoy them i lov to look
Hope you find some good stuff Gary G.A.P.metal

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
You should have no prob finding a dozen or so silver per year. Get any decent machine and find a good spot. Dat's all ya need.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G.A.P.metal said:
look around old apple trees kids used to clime apple trees and spill their pockets.
Go to the local barber shop and as the older guys where whey swam or played baseball back in the day us old guys love to talk the past.
go the the public liebery cold now anyhow do so local research. Or you could go to one of the on line detector shops here woodland or backwoods have great shops i enjoy them i lov to look
Hope you find some good stuff Gary G.A.P.metal

Just to add to that, I know one of the local museums where I am, as well as the public library have some old newspapers articles, and microfiche with entire newspapers from quite awhile back with articles that might lead you to a good spot to hunt.

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Tesoro Silver Umax will be the last detector you ever buy. Lifetime warranty, perfect detection, no false signals, very good depth, very good at discriminating iron, and so on. It got a perfect 5 star rating and reviews.

Don't believe that the $1,000 detectors are better than the $300 ones. They are just bells and whistles, heavier, larger battery pack, etc.

By the way, the best depth on any detector I've ever owned (10 total) was the Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, that thing found silver so deep.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure the others mentioned are good machines in their own right. But, which of them can you fall in the creek with and not have to worry? Or, better yet, jump in the creek or river intentionally with and detect?

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
bearbqd said:
I'm sure the others mentioned are good machines in their own right. But, which of them can you fall in the creek with and not have to worry? Or, better yet, jump in the creek or river intentionally with and detect?

Ah the memories of my first radio shack discovery detector. Went from metal detector to submarine.
If I didn't destroy it that day, I probably would have never upgraded!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions