Good Stuff

papa

Sep 21, 2006
It looks to me like all the good stuff is up North. I haven't found anything worth bragging about in a long time.Every time I find what looks to be a "Good Spot" and I ask about going MD there,the answere is NO !! or it's on posted land,federal land,or some other kind of NO !!
I REFUZE TO GIVE UP !!! I WILL FIND A PLACE YET !!
Would one of you Yankee's send me a truck load of dirt ?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Keep on pluggin' Papa- Something is bound to turn up! Swimming holes have always done me pretty good, no permission needed in my neck of the woods. Don't forget to shoot the "blind" areas where bashful types may have changed into their suits- as well as near the water, and even in as far as you can.

I know back east there ain't much (if any) public lands left, but get creative in your thinking, the possibilities are endless even without public lands to shoot on.

here's a partial list to get your creative juices flowing-

Schools
Parks
Churches
Home sites
Picnic groves
Swimming holes/Beaches
Athletic fields
Fairgrounds
Scout camps
Ghost towns
Playgrounds, campgrounds, rest stops, sidewalk strips, rodeo arenas, rural mail box areas, old tavern sites, revival meeting sites, chautauquas, military bases, sledding areas, corner lots, towpaths, flea market sites, train depots, amusement parks, family reunion areas, groves, old fort sites, band shells, town squares, construction sites, old farms, fishing holes, mining camps, general stores, trailer parks, hiking paths, orchards, outhouses, battlesites, backyards, racetracks, fence rows, boat ramps, resorts, ski areas, drive ins, motels, roadside stands, college campuses, under boardwalks, market areas, telephone booths, bus stops.........and pretty much whatever else you can dream up. Railroad camps are good too. Look for a span, there's generally a camp near where they built a bridge.

Research, persistence, and luck!

(Thanks to Dick Stout for a good list)

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
I know Jeffro,but at times you just want to put down the MD and get a bat.Some of these people are so dumb,that CD player hanging around their neck? It's not music they are listing to,it's an endless tape,saying, "Breath IN, .... Breath Out, ... Breath In ... Breath Out..

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
papa said:
It looks to me like all the good stuff is up North. I haven't found anything worth bragging about in a long time.Every time I find what looks to be a "Good Spot" and I ask about going MD there,the answere is NO !! or it's on posted land,federal land,or some other kind of NO !!
I REFUZE TO GIVE UP !!! I WILL FIND A PLACE YET !!
Would one of you Yankee's send me a truck load of dirt ?

Nahhhhh the south has the best MDing due to all the civil war items down here papa ! Also a lot of southerners buried their valuables during the war,but what happened to it if they got kill and they were the only one that knew where it was buried or they simply forgot? JACKPOT ! ;D ;D I find great stuff all the time.What type of Metal detector do ya use ? Maybe you need one that gets more depth possibly.Just keeping tryng you'll find a treasure spot ! ;D

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
I've got two,a old White's 4000/D CoinMaster and a 2000 Discovery. Not the best,but I make due. Like I said, I AIN"T GIVING UP !!
I just read your "Drink to Much Coffee" You sure you don't know me ?

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
papa said:
I've got two,a old White's 4000/D CoinMaster and a 2000 Discovery. Not the best,but I make due. Like I said, I AIN"T GIVING UP !!
I just read your "Drink to Much Coffee" You sure you don't know me ?

I like coffee but if i drink too much i get kinda nutty.I have too much energy has it is without caffeine lol ;D

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Well, if you've already got good spots in mind (it sounds like you do) theres some good info on asking permission (and getting it) in several threads.... maybe something in one of these will help open a door or two.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,49713.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,34422.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,36433.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,13493.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,9991.0.html

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
A nutty Spitfire Reddie ??? This I got to see :)
Thanks Jeffro, I'll give it a shot,can't say I didn't try. Ain't give up yet ;)

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Papa, i found a 1902 indian Head penny with a discovery 2000.
Course the better MD' s do give up the finds! :)
The Key,as your finding, is the hunting spot.
good Luck & HH

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
I'm getting better ;D Found a rusty bolt today,just before it poured down rain.
Maybe the MD Fairy will come visit me,you think ???

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
WHAT!!?? I'm just outside of Portsmouth NH.... Yes, we have great old hisory up here, but the "developments" have so cut into where you can dig that I think I'd rather be down south... still some great expanses free to search... I drool over those civil war finds! I guess its a matter of "the grass is always greener..." Happy hunting! :) Papa, I've sent three cubic yards of soil (using USPS, insured) should arrive wednesday, but you're going to have to sign for it. I hope this doesn't cut into your schedule.

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
It's mostly me. I know. But after awhile,it gets to you.But, I should be happy with what I've got.At least I've got a MD,and I'm able to go out (most of the time ) If I think someone will say something about me going to an area,or I think I'll leave bad places in the soil,I won't go. There are to many people now,who just don't care about other people.That's just me.

nhbenz, that's cool,I'll just have UPS spread it on my driveway.You did pick out all the dandy lions out,didn't you ;D

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Just for fun- Spreading dirt and such- My buddy once told me a story about how he had one of the local gravel companies come up and dump a load on his driveway... (no, not THAT kind of load, it was gravel) anyways.... as he was yakking with the driver of the rig, he noticed a nice little half pennyweight nugget laying there in the freshly laid gravel!

Turns out they ran a bucketline in the river, didn't even bother with any recovery equipment on their gravel operation. We spent a while setting up a dredging rally and got a bunch of people from all over the US to come on out, even people from Florida showed up!

We did pretty good that weekend. Never know what will come your way, just gotta keep pluggin'.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Papa, sorry for the delay in my response. It took me a while to figure out how to send this personal message, as I wouldn't have wanted anyone else to know exactly where the soil came from. You'll wannna' ignore the glowing of the soil... its from the Seabrook NH area. An area with great history (and a nuke plant). But PLEASE do not let others know where this came from... I'll send more if you want, at the same shipping/handling we discussed earlier.

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
WOW !! My very own glow in the dark driveway ;D Crap,now all the neighbor's will want one. Now if I mix one load with three loads of creek dirt,sale one load for double what one cost me, Hey ;D This just might work 8)

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I usually sell this stuff locally... it saves my friends on plowing costs. Hey, I didn't mean to post this for all to see... is there a way to delete posts?! Oh crud...

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
So you don't want all of us asking for dirt??

ya know where I wanna go shoot coins?? - Europe, there is some old metal there, oh boy. All those pretty gold things from antiquity?? YUMMY !!

Papa, if you ever get the urge, we'll just save up our allowance and head to south america and find some OLD ruins, THAT would be so cool.......

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Think we could get there on 43 pounds of pennies ;D

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Papa, pick up a copy of "Homes for Sale" which is a magazine of houses and land for sale in your area, find yourself a nice big colonial house and call the agent, ask them if it's empty, where the owners live, and make some small talk. If it's empty, ask them if they would mind if you "swung by" to take a look.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Good plan, tell the real-estate agent your only interested in buying a house that has some "provable history".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread