Does it bother you also?

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I was reading the news from where I grew up (upstate NY) and read about a house fire that destroyed a house built in the 1830's. I currently live near Kansas City and there are very few houses older than the 1860's around here. To read about a wonderful piece of history being destroyed really bothered me. I go back to the area where this fire happened every year and a big part of my vacation is to find these older homes and try to get permission to metal detect them. This house was only a couple miles from my fathers house so I will drive past it on my next visit and I am sure I will shed a tear for what was once there.

If you would like to read more about the fire you can check out my blog, http://mymdforum.com/wp/2012/02/bother-much/

So many of these old houses are forever disappearing.

Attachments

• housefire1.jpg
    housefire1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 284

armadillo66

Jan 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after Quantrill's Raid on Lawrence, there were so many homes and farms all along the Missouri Kansas border that were destroyed as part of the retribution for the massacre in Lawrence. There is an old house site on the bluffs near Parkville I want to go check out. I have always wondered if it was part of that action.

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT..it is a Pro, but I am a rookie.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime we lose a tangible link to the people and times that came before us I believe it weakens us as a people.
I think history is a critical component of the glue that binds us together, and, more importantly that teaches us the lessons that only can come from the successes and failures experienced by our forefathers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread