Relic Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yes, I've wondered the same thing :icon_scratch: Seems we md'rs find an aweful lot of harmonica reeds at old sites. In the same manner, have you ever noticed how we find a lot of pocket watch parts too? As if people back then took great joy in disassembling their harmonicas and pocket watches and scattering them about :tongue3:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suspect the reason you don't find the shell is because an attempt was tried at self-repair, then, flipped over the shoulder when it did not work.... hence, no shell. TTC

OP
OP
Palmetto

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Yes, I've wondered the same thing :icon_scratch: Seems we md'rs find an aweful lot of harmonica reeds at old sites. In the same manner, have you ever noticed how we find a lot of pocket watch parts too? As if people back then took great joy in disassembling their harmonicas and pocket watches and scattering them about :tongue3:

Very true-thought the same thing after posting wondering what others might bring up. On pocket watches, it was probably too difficult or costly to have repaired.
Palmetto

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd bet that the harmonica bodies were mostly wood. I remember wooden ones from when I was a kid, some 60 plus or minus years ago. Never see them now though.

OP
OP
Palmetto

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How about accordian reeds? Find those alot as well-Both those and harmonica reeds sound great!

Palmetto

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I used to wonder why people abandoned towns in beautiful mountain surroundings. Now I realize it was to get away from all those
bad harmonica players.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder why I always seem to find fired bullets in close proximity to harmonica reeds? :dontknow: ;D

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
The way scrap metal prices are rising, I should have saved the ones I've found over the yrs.....I'd be rich. The same goes for zinc canning covers.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kids love to examine things, take them apart, and destroy them. Thats why we find so many harmonica reeds, watch parts, transistor radio bits, and pieces of broken toys.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The majority of old sites I hunt have reeds or watch parts, and sometimes both.

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been finding them at most every old house site I hunt also. In fact so many that its almost spooky. I was glad to read that others have noticed this. I thought alot about it and tried to imagine what people did in their free time back then. There was no tv or radio. I've found alot near the old mining sites here where I live also. I took it as possibly a very common form of entertainment back then. You really nailed it on this post. Good hunting.

Yellowhouse

Jun 24, 2009
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV; MXT; Ace 250
The little wheels in pocket watches make nice little tops and thats why you find them scattered. Used to do the same thing with worn out Big Bens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread