All Treasure Hunting

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LSMorgan said:
I've heavily edited your post. Continue talking about the problems you perceive if you wish, but do so without insulting and talking down to others. DigginthePast

This site is pretty much the default case-study in subforum overload (which disintegrates the conversation, which impacts flow, which dissuades user participation). Treasurenet had the chance to leverage it's first-mover advantage in this niche and effectively become the ground zero for all things metal detecting, etc, but gave rise to several viable competitors due to the way it was mismanaged over the years- both from a user experience and user-management perspective. This is no secret. Now that there's new ownership, it's probably worth talking about these problems rather than pretending they don't exist. People make mistakes, we all make mistakes.

When I talk about thinks like developing semantic on-page ad schema to monetize the content library, etc, those are things that will certainly be beneficial to the new owners and probably not something you understand. If Marc had understood them, he may have not sold this place.

The new owners have a great opportunity to make a few bucks here, if they play their cards right but they can't move too fast. This user base isn't exactly made up of 'progressive' types who are quick to embrace drastic change.

I didn't see the original post before it was moderated. But a lot of what he says is true. I think I've only been around since 2005 or so, but I have always felt a lot of profit was left on the table with this site. And some forums are just odd that clutter up the page and make it too long to keep up with. Like Pirate talk?

And for the new owners, please go look at findmall.com if you want to see a site that is an example of what you should strive not to become. Open detector discussion is no longer allowed on that site. Not to mention they are using bbs software from the mid 1990s still... I can't wait to see some upgraded forum software on this site. And I'm jealous I wasn't able to afford the site when it first came up for sale.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
bazinga said:
And for the new owners, please go look at findmall.com if you want to see a site that is an example of what you should strive not to become. Open detector discussion is no longer allowed on that site.

That is true.
I posted a conversation I had with a detector manufacturer that wasn't 'bad', but wasn't the typical irrational "brand loyalty" praise a lot of people engage in. There were some criquties and concerns, albeit mild and very diplomatically expressed.
They deleted them ;D

All forums incline generally towards openness or moderation.
Too much one way or the other and the place can become intolerable.

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
Welcome aboard new owners, it is my hope that T-Net will only get better.

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Howdy John & Doug-

I'm pleased to meet you as the new owners of Tnet!

And YES, the site is now "lightning" fast!

Thank you!

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Arizona Bob said:
And YES, the site is now "lightning" fast!

Thank you!

That's great to hear. I know this sale was good for me (I can get some stuff straight in my life!) and good for TNet. TreasureNet was crying out for technical help and firepower, and well, John delivers. I hope I am called upon and capable to serve in the future!

Thanks everyone for your support, without it TreasureNet would not exist.

Dig on! :icon_thumleft:

Marc

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to "our" forum. I'd like to say I'm glad to see new owners, but, I'm not - I will miss Marc - but I AM glad to see new owners, so that Marc
could do the things he wanted with his life. Everyone deserves that chance.

I hope you feel the same way about Tnet that MOST of us do.....every place has folks who aren't always happy - but, in the overall picture - Tnet is a
good place to spend time, share stories, make friends and get all sorts of information, debates, ideas and conversations.

GOOD LUCK,

Beth

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, as usual I am the last to know! I just posted that I didn't know of the change of ownership on the Charter Members forum. Doh! Now I feel so dumb. I have been around Tnet for several years and have watched members come and go and for the most part those who are genuinely interested in treasure hunting and even hobbiests like me tend to hang around. My wife calls it "going prospecting" when I sneak off for a day to dig in the dirt, but I assure you it is much more than that. And someone here on the net described it aptly with one word, "Curiosity"! When I have an object in my hand tht may have been a part of history for someone's life years ago I am in awe no matter how trivial that object may be at the time. it was important to someone at one time in their lives and I would love to know the history and often day dream about what it may have been. I look forward to spending some time with you guys with computer on line and a cup of coffee nearby. Monty

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No your not Monty...lol. But I agree, go away for a couple days and things change.

And speaking of change, Being the stubborn old fogie I am, I hope you new kids don't go fiddling around too much with something I don't feel is broke. T-net, in my opinion, got where it is today because of the way it currently is.
Kind of like that local grocery store you go to instead of Wallyworld. You're used to the aptmosphere, the aisles, the employees, etc. Even when a new owner buys it, they keep it the same because they know it serves a purpose.
I've seen my share of businesses being bought by an "investment corporation" and they change things so much to squeeze every last penny for profit that it eventually loses sight of it's original purpose. Then they fail and sell of the shreads of pieces that are left to some multicorporation that no semblance of the original is left.

I'm sure we all understand that some minor changes will occur. Those dusty cans of greenbeans that don't sell can be replaced with some fancy french-style beans, but all in all, I expect it to remain the same.

When I first found Treasurenet, I made an immediate decision to become a Charter member to support it. I didn't want to see a good site that has so many contributors disappear. I know it takes money to keep something like this going. I only wish more people understood this and anty up a few bucks to keep it going. And I do understand some cannot afford to join and take pride in the members like Chug and Red who sponser members. They too understand the necessary funding and benefits of Charter membership.

This is the ONLY site I voluntary support...because I like it.

I do hope the mods stay too. We do need someone willing to read the posts and keep them "family friendly" and keep the unnecessary sparing of derrogatory comments at bay.

I hope you new guys get what you're looking for and I'm glad to see Marc got what he needed from the sale. Best of luck to ya.

Al

P.S. Either my spelling is perfect or we need spell check back. If my spelling is perfect, It'll be a first...lol

Al

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spell check is gone? Oh Lordy, all is lost! Heck, I can go back and check my own spelling, but it never fails that I go back a few days later and find an error I missed. Not being perfect really sucks don't it? M :dontknow: nty

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
The only thing spellcheck can't do is, grammar checks, or incorrect usage of a word. Don't it should be doesn't it........NGE

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
Spell check is gone? Oh Lordy, all is lost! Heck, I can go back and check my own spelling, but it never fails that I go back a few days later and find an error I missed. Not being perfect really sucks don't it? M :dontknow: nty

That is because your Brain has it's own Spell Correction Feature.

I'm sure you saw the threads where complete pargraphs are
misplled yet you can read 7hem anyway :wink:

Unless you just woke up & havn't Lubed your brain yet.
then the wheels jam on the misspelling.

In other words, if you can speed read, spelling isn't important.
If your Slow, Drunk, sleepy or learning english
spelling is very important.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I done learnt English vary erlyi in school and can reaqd writin, buit can't wreite readin. Monty

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I done learnt English vary erlyi in school and can reaqd writin, buit can't wreite readin. Monty
Tuh Heick with Speill Cheicker, Leits have a Fridge full uh coald ones... :occasion14:

Porehaunter

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And then you have the incredible language called " Cali-speak " it's a whole different beast. I am told it is spoken in California.....NGE

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
--as the famous saying goes ---the only constant in life is "change" ... sorry to see marc leave .. :'( --- however one day we all must move on ,be it one way or another , -- what one can not change , one must accept , so be it.

so now I say welcome new "owners' --

I have been here for sometime now and hope to hang around quite a bit more (good lord willing)--

one thing that would maybe help grow membership would be if there was some way to 'buy" a membership without the "pay pal" hassle (say like a address you could mail a check or money order to) in the past I have sent my dues money by check or money order to long term 'members" of the site
that i trust and have dealt with , so that they would pay "my dues" for me via their 'pay pal" account --because I hate dealing with pay pal.

another highly useful item would be a way to easily know when your dues are about to be up (when your due to renew ) so you do not lapse your charter membership and lose your hard earned 'member' status level.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheOldMan said:
I agree ...Pay Pay is not for me - I know that one is not suppose to send cash in the mail but I would perfer that over Pay Pal, etc. In fact if I owed a retail or food service business I would have a cash only policy. No bad checks or credit card fees to deal with - I would reward the customer by having lower prices. And by the way the speed of this website is awesome..I down loaded the large Dumpster Diving postings and was happy how fast it took to download.

You have to realize that those types of busness practices only hurt the owners. Most people don't carry cash anymore, and if they do it's just a few dollars. Yes, you lose a small percentage to a CC company, but you can also shop around to find a card handler that charges less. It's the 21st century, adapt or die!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Pay Pal, but right now it is dormant, mainly because I don't have any money! Even with Pay Pal although convenient, they want to get into my bank account and I won't allow that, so it is just as if I am using a credit card , which by the way, I don't much like that either. (Whew, that's a long sentence)! Anyway, what really annoys me about Pay Pal is that they are constantly bombarding my 'puter with pop ups and upgrades that I don't really know if I need and don't necessarily understand how it is helpful. Most of the so called upgrades sooner or later want more fees accessed to my account in small increments at a time. I guess so it will be less noticable? And most of the upgrades are only helpful for those who rely heavily on Pay Pal to conduct on line purchases. I only use it occasionally and only if I really feel I have to, so they don't benifit me at all.

And now for spell check. I need spell check mainly because of a physical problem. I broke several fingers on my right hand many years ago playing semi-pro baseball. Those fingers sstiffened up over time and actually gave me a pretty good curve ball and knuckle ball when I was pitching because of the way I had to hold the ball. But , as I had to learn the keyboard on my computer I found that I inadvertantly put in a lot of extrea ks and is. I don't realize how bad it gets sometimes until I completely reread the entire text or if available, use spell check. So, if I send a message to you filled with extra ks and is , it is unintentenial. Monky....I mean Monty!

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I buy myself " Gift cards " through my credit union. They are Visa's and work just like credit or debit cards. Safest way of doing online business for me. If some crook were to get ahold of my card number, I will only lose what I have on it, not clean out a real bank or checking account. And the issuing establishment only charges 2 dollars per card, no matter how much it is for.....NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread