Recovering lost items questions

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I read a story about a building that fell down a long time ago in my hometown. They says it was a jewlery store. Here is the catch. It fell into a river. That river still cuts through the area.

A local history buff said if you wade in the water when its low and use a shovel and a sifting table you can find silver coins every now and then.

My question is, is there anything stopping me from doing just that? Sift table and shovel in the water?

I have older fokes that can get me into the right area, but do to currents the items may be further down stream. Im guessing a metal detector for water would be in order. LOL

Im ready dredge the darn thing for the stuff that was never found.

Thanks

Novapax

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
It's probably not deep, just like gold can be found on top or a couple inches max under, and it's heavy. As the current moves, the jewelery would have just skimmed the dirt and kept moving.

However you're also talking about a whole building being in the water. So now you will have to move blocks away. If you can still see large amounts of the building, do your best to move or get under it, that is where all the jewelery cases, cash register, etc will be.

OP
OP
Novapax

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll have to talk to the local historian. He seems to know the exact spot the building collapsed.

Do ya think there are any rules to poking around the river?

Thanks for your input.

Novapax

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure that every state has its own laws about "poking around in the river", and then there is the question is the river now in a state or national park. Who owns the river area? Sounds like one of the topics that was active here a year or so ago, but I guess there are many floods and jewelry stores that have vanished in a flood, but since we dont know the river in question, you need to provide a little more detail before anyone here can even guess about an answer.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a good deal! Go for it. TTC

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is much of a current I am guessing it would be extremely difficult to to just poke around. And dangerous I might add. Unless you had some specific information I wouldn't think it was doable. monty

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that emergency crews here have a tether they use for rapid water rescues. They can typically tie themselves off to something heavy, many times the emergency vehicle. That way if they slip while trying to maneuver the rapids they pretty much get pulled to the bank by the tether.

In cases like California where dredging is banned currently, I am pretty sure they would stop you from doing what you are talking about, for the good of the fish of course...

So if there are no dredging bans in place, or other restrictions on disturbing the silt beds. Then I would say it would be worth the attempt as long as you are not risking your own life.

OP
OP
Novapax

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I could check with the DEQ or EPA on river work. I'm thinking if I'm only working in an area when the water is low, I'll be ok.

Does anyone think a special water metal detector would be of any use?

This happened in the 1930's. A very long time ago. I know they recovered some but not all of the jewelery but no mention of the cash register.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions