26.3 KB · Views: 360

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
the type tab you have in your pix (the kind with the beaver tail) came out in the mid 1960s. There was some earlier and/or cross-over types at that time, that were sort of square-ish, and also had a tab on it.

The current type square tab (that's supposed to stay on the can, but they certainly don't appear to!) came out in the early 1980s.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of them,fooled my Garret cx plus, told me it was a nickle at 5 inches.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would swear there are some drink manufacturers that still use beaver tails.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I thought the pull tab in the pic was outlawed in 1972. Not the 80s. They were invented in the mid to late 60s, depending in the style. Here on the West Coast of Florida we find many of them, in the water and on the beach. Same with the newer style, people still tear them off and throw them in.

OP
OP
kevkirki

kevkirki

Jul 16, 2011
denver, colorado
Detector(s) used
M6/coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info :icon_thumright:. My M6 tells me its a tab, nickle, ring... so I have to dig. Plus I save them...have a big can full :laughing7:. Well If there from the 60s I'm in the right dirt :icon_thumleft:

Thanks HH Kev

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread