Florida Gold TV Series Casting Call

TomTV

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

At this point a lot of you know that Pixcom Productions is
casting for a tv series about metal detecting in Florida.

Why Florida? Fun, sun, bathing suits, and gold!

Y'all know there's gold down there floating out of the sand.
The only question is: who's gonna find it?

Wanna be on the series? We're looking for metal detectorists with
a difference. We've got a guy who carried six dumptrucks of earth
to his backyard so he could hunt the earth to his own
satisfaction. We got a guy who knows all the tricks about finding
bling on the beaches (heck, we got a few of those.) We've got
a young gal getting into it, looking for a way to make
it work as a bit more than a hobby, maybe even survive on it. And
we got people making enough dollars at it they can buy nice
trips, pay bills, even buy vehicles and put down payments on
their houses. One guy is planning on opening a jewelry store with
his hoard of treasure!

What you got? And I don't mean treasure, I mean what's your angle?

Send us an email with your name, age, what you got for an angle,
plus a headshot and your skype name. An angle can be anything: a way
of hunting, or maybe you want to pay off your university tuition,
or maybe you like to hunt in places other people don't go. Whatever
it is, we want to know.

We're looking for enthusiastic eager players, upbeat, positive,
funny, and maybe a little bent is okay too. Okay, how about a lot bent?
After all, this is Florida we're talkin' about.

Email me at: [email protected]

Or call: 514 489 5499

For more information about Pixcom Productions, go here:
http://www.pixcom.com/en/home.html

And remember: everyone's got impressive finds. The only
question is What's your angle? Let us get you on the show and we
can find out what you're skills as a detectorist are like then...

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Tom
PS. If you have any great ideas for how a show like this could work,
please do include them...thanks!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Florida Hunters wanted for TV Series

Wow thats great :hello2:

But why Florida :icon_scratch:

How about the colonial sites from the original 13 colonies :icon_sunny:

Much more interesting seeing what the past left behind :thumbsup:

Plus i think Americans are looking towards the past more now seeing the country has gone dowhill ;D

Just my thoughts :hello:

Blaze

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Because were not Florida they can put a twist on it. Somebody will find a large treasure. I will watch the program though good luck Florida guys

rustydigger

Aug 11, 2010
central jersey
Detector(s) used
whites v3i, bounty hunter tracker IV, whites bullseye II pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is it really that great? Im not from florida but I have to say this is discouraging. Its kind of like the whole storage wars and auction shows before it came on TV it was actually enjoyable and you could get what you wanted to an extent. Now your going to encouarge everyone and their mothers to go out and metal detect. Everywhere you go there will be unfilled holes, garbage dug out and left, not to mention the hoards of people MDing everywhere and getting into fights and tresspassing and ruining it for the true hobbist and the ones that follow the etiquette Sure it is a great hobby but let people discover it for themselves instead of making it some commercialized treasure seeking cut throat world. I mean its a free country but just wait and see how much the hobby changes. :BangHead: :angry5:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can you shoot it on the west coast, no gold or silver left over here on the east coast anymore. Honest. Heck, can't even find a coin anymore. All hunted out. Honest! :thumbsup: Should probably let all your viewers know....."Please!" :laughing9:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

bigscoop said:
This is Florida, better define your concept of "no-holes-barred series" and "timid"....... :laughing9: :thumbsup:

PS: can you shoot it on the west coast, no gold left over here on the east coast anymore. Honest. :laughing9:

ITS A tv show :D

Dont worry they will put the golden chest out there with the big key hole and gold straps filled with gold coins :laughing9: :laughing9:

Blaze

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Posts like this depress me, and I'm not even a Florida beach hunter. So many people are already complaining about too many people detecting the beaches down there. Wait until they get a tv show going about it. The fun ends.

Not to mention when somebody sees their ring found on tv.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyblaze said:

Plus i think Americans are looking towards the past more now seeing the country has gone dowhill ;D

Blaze

Uh....you do know that there were other colonies in North America besides the later, British, ones...right?

St. Augustine Florida is the oldest city in the U.S., and was founded in 1565.
The failed Roanoke colony was founded in 1585, and Jamestown in 1607.

LOTS of history in Florida....Many aboriginal cultures...mound builders and all...Spanish explorers, French colonies, Revolutionary War battles, War of 1812, as well as our own "Patriot War" between Spanish Florida and a contingent of rebels and U.S. soldiers and militia, The longest and most costly Indian war in U.S. history with the 3 Seminole Wars....Civil War battles...Spanish American War camps....on up to WW2 bases, and training camps, as well as prisoner of war camps.....not to mention how you can't walk down the beach without kicking over gold and silver treasure coins! ;D

As far as all these new treasure hunting/metal detecting shows popping up.....It's nothing new. I remember a series of them back in the late 80's- early 90's. Good series. Plus there was the more recent one on the the Travel Network that was finally canceled. Nothing really bad had happened when all those shows were on.

When the "get rich quick" clowns go out and spend thousands of dollars on equipement and find out there is no where for them to hunt without tv producers setting it up ahead of time like on "American Pickers"....and if they DO find a place...they will get tired of the hours upon hours of hunting with nothing but some pulltabs, bottle caps, and pennys to show for it...actual "Reality" will punch them in the throat, and there will be some cheap, barely used, equipment for sale on the cheap!! :hello2:

I have went through a similar thing with the whole "Reality hot rod builder shows"

Everyone thought that you could buy a welder and a HVLP paint sprayer, and start building $80,000 hot rods....and as long as you put in a couple of all-nighters to get it done before some fake deadline, you would be a hero.

Well, after "reality" set in with most of those guys...there are some real decent deals out there now with abandoned projects, and shop equipment from bankruptcy auctions!

The fallout from that is the whole "rat rod" movement that made the real builders look bad in the eyes of the public, by being lumped in with them.

The fallout from metal detecting getting popular would be from bad diggers leaving holes and trash everywhere...and that already happens!!!

In the end....most of the public won't care one way or the other...It's escapism for them, and they won't want to do it...just watch it.

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow you probably thought people were going to be excited when you posted on T-Net and not have the reaction your getting. You probably meant well but as you can see we all dealt with bad publicity so maybe you can improve our image some how in your show and for God sakes if you do find people how about tight screening process geared towards ethics and common sense. Dont be those guys that select the comedian type that pisses everybody off. :dontknow:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

Jon Phillips said:
johnnyblaze said:

Blaze

Uh....you do know that there were other colonies in North America besides the later, British, ones...right?

Im talking about the country you live in...USA...

The colonies who lost many to battle for it...

And i dont remember any of those you mentioned being part of it besides Jamestown :icon_scratch:

Blaze

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyblaze said:
Jon Phillips said:
johnnyblaze said:

Blaze

Im talking about the country you live in...USA...

The colonies who lost many to battle for it...

And i dont remember any of those you mentioned being part of it besides Jamestown :icon_scratch:

Blaze

Ok....I'll rephrase that:

Uh....you do know that there were other colonies in the U.S.A. besides the later, British, ones...right?

You've never heard of the Roanoke colony? Chartered by Sir Walter Raleigh...first English child born in the new world (Virginia Dare)...visited by Sir Frances Drake....vanished with little trace with the word "Croatoan" written on a post of the fort, and on a tree....big mystery of history... (hey that rymes!)?

St Augustine is in the country I live in...U.S.A......and in the state that I live in....Florida. I was pointing out the fact that there was a colony here years before any of the later, British colonies.

I wasn't trying to bust on you....just pointing out that there is at least as much history in Florida than any other state in "The Union"....more than most others.

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Has anyone sent him a note to GO AWAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

See how crazy it is starting to get... Now this is the 3rd show like this to go on TV... Like i said before...... Nothing good will come out of this for us.............. It will only help the detector maker's and the dealers..... they are already so happy they are wetting there pants.................

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

I wouldnt be so mean to say go away....

But to be educated on the effect is something to think about :read2:

Im sure all good intentions are there :icon_thumleft:

Blaze

OP
OP
T

TomTV

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Love the replies this is getting!

Fact is two new series are about to explode on the screen, all about hunting and digging, all gung-ho let's-dig-up-the-history stuff and find-cool-treasure. All of which is nice, and offscreen, in all my discussions, I find the history fascinating. My buddy does re-enactments, has authentic weapons and clothing, and I'm a filmmaker and we're making films using his stuff, and I love the idea of finding belt buckles, I think finding slave tags is eerie and hallowed, and there all kinds of other stuff that is really very cool. I've heard so many great stories in the past couple of weeks about finds across the country.

But on TV? What, a couple a guys getting excited about a coin?

I guess you have to be there, right?

No matter how you slice it, the audience is probably limited...to people who are into that.

But think about Florida: sunshine alla time, people on the beach, and there's some guy walking along the towel line and finding gold rings. And maybe there's another guy scoping him out, hoping to get his spot.

What's more fun on TV?

Since there are already two shows about to come out and make everybody run for the gold-in-them-thar-hills, why not have a little fun down in sunny Florida and see who's the best kickass digger on the beach?

Don't you think our relationships with each other are much more interesting than our relationships with objects, even richly connotative objects?

I love the guys I've been talking to across the country about this topic, and I've learned a lot. I'm looking forward to learning more, and I think it's going to be a fun and fascinating show. And in the end, it might just be the history that stands out...

Best,
Tom

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

TomTV said:
Love the replies this is getting!

Fact is two new series are about to explode on the screen, all about hunting and digging, all gung-ho let's-dig-up-the-history stuff and find-cool-treasure. All of which is nice, and offscreen, in all my discussions, I find the history fascinating. My buddy does re-enactments, has authentic weapons and clothing, and I'm a filmmaker and we're making films using his stuff, and I love the idea of finding belt buckles, I think finding slave tags is eerie and hallowed, and there all kinds of other stuff that is really very cool. I've heard so many great stories in the past couple of weeks about finds across the country.

But on TV? What, a couple a guys getting excited about a coin?

I guess you have to be there, right?

No matter how you slice it, the audience is probably limited...to people who are into that.

But think about Florida: sunshine alla time, people on the beach, and there's some guy walking along the towel line and finding gold rings. And maybe there's another guy scoping him out, hoping to get his spot.

What's more fun on TV?

Since there are already two shows about to come out and make everybody run for the gold-in-them-thar-hills, why not have a little fun down in sunny Florida and see who's the best kickass digger on the beach?

Don't you think our relationships with each other are much more interesting than our relationships with objects, even richly connotative objects?

I love the guys I've been talking to across the country about this topic, and I've learned a lot. I'm looking forward to learning more, and I think it's going to be a fun and fascinating show. And in the end, it might just be the history that stands out...

Best,
Tom

A couple of guys walking on a beach finding ring :nono: :icon_scratch:

How about a couple of hot chicks walking on the beach finding rings

Now thats a show i will watch;

Blaze

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Truth is Tom that this hobby is full of people that feel that it is their responsibility to protect it as if they are the only ones who have the right or ability to detect. Many who get down right mean about it, one minute their talking about introducing people to the hobby then they are complaining because they saw someone detecting the local tot lot that they feel is their spot. Kind of reminds me of prospecting folks who have mining claims and put up no tresspassing signs when the land doesent even belong to them. Many a show has benn made in the past about treasure hunting and many a show will be made and oh look the hobby is still here, personally I hope to see lots of treasure hunting shows in the future so I can watch it on TV all the time.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

I would not say i am against a tv show..But lets face it finding stuff on a beach just aint gonna cut it :-\

Take Pawn Stars for instance..You dont see them filming people coming in all day pawning gold and diamond rings :nono:

They film people coming in with Colonial weapons,documents,Americana..

Historical stuff..And that will always sell to the public..
Ill say it again people are looking towards the past..So lets get this thing started with some historical,adventurous,cellar hole detecting finding Revolutionary war stuff,Civil war stuff,Colonial Americana stuff :thumbsup:

If not it will most definately be an EPIC failure :-[

Plus i would like to be the one to be filmed here in New England ;D

Blaze

montanagold said:
Truth is Tom that this hobby is full of people that feel that it is their responsibility to protect it as if they are the only ones who have the right or ability to detect. Many who get down right mean about it, one minute their talking about introducing people to the hobby then they are complaining because they saw someone detecting the local tot lot that they feel is their spot. Kind of reminds me of prospecting folks who have mining claims and put up no tresspassing signs when the land doesent even belong to them. Many a show has benn made in the past about treasure hunting and many a show will be made and oh look the hobby is still here, personally I hope to see lots of treasure hunting shows in the future so I can watch it on TV all the time.

You mean the same thousands of people who post their finds on a world wide forum for everyone to see? ;D

Although I hate T.V. and I am not a fan of all these future M.D. shows about to air, I agree there is a huge contradiction!

Let's help newbies get into detecting. Let's promote the hobby by making the newspaper for returning lost rings. Let us crowd the beach on a daily basis so people can see scavengers picking up their lost items. Or WORSE lets post thousands of U-tube videos of us digging up treasure!

I can understand how overwhelming this has been when THREE shows are now being discussed for just America alone. Already a few shows in the U.K.

The biggest threat I can see is not all the wannabees getting into the hobby but all the archies seeing a worse picture painted. I would like to see more evolved treasure hunting laws in North America that are similar to the ones in the U.K.

These shows will NOT help anything evolve. Their sole purpose is for entertainment and will not bring any respect from the archaeological community.

Posts bashing archies does not help either. Maybe if there were T.V. shows with us working with archies to uncover history, I would reconnect my cable and enjoy watching something productive.

If I wanted to watch people dig up the same silver coins and rings then I would just hop onto U-tube. Lord knows, there's enough of that kind of thing all over the net! ::)

OP
OP
T

TomTV

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi all,

Here's an updated casting call. Please do forward this to anyone
you think might be interested.

We're especially excited about the world of metal detecting: the
hunt, the way the machines work, the process of finding
and evaluation, the different applications of skill in terms of
finding weapons and helping authorities etc.

I'm especially interested in any jewelry store owners who deal
with a lot of detectorists. I'll be calling refineries today to
find out more about that process. Very keen also on the whole
cleaning, prepping and shipping off the goods process.

You have to admit it's kind of cool that some folks are doing
okay with this...

Best,
Tom

My name is Tom Bauer and I work for Pixcom Productions in
Montreal. You might have heard we're looking for guys, or
gals, to be on our series about metal detecting in Florida.

If you ever wanted to be on TV, now's your chance. We're
looking for upbeat people who hunt. Whether you're hunting
Spanish treasure or seeking bling along the towel line, the
most important thing for the show is that you're a serious
hunter with a purpose.

We're looking for upbeat fun people who want to be on TV
talking about how cool it is to find stuff out there. We're
especially interested in serious hunters, folks trying to
make a living at it or pay bills, people with long-range
goals, who use their skills to find enough stuff for a down
payment on a house or new vehicle.

If you're a new hunter with big dreams, that's perfect.
We're interested in knowing how well this pursuit can pay.
Is it really enough to pay a few bills? How good do you have
to be to get by? Are some hunters really better than others,
or is it all luck?

Please get in touch, and thanks for reading.

Tom Bauer
514 489 5499
[email protected]
http://www.pixcom.com/en/home.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread