library find

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey everyone,
I found a library in my area that has been closed for a number of years. It dates back to at least 1902, and was closed but being used for meetings by 1935, and now just sits there. How do I find out who to contact to get permission? Because nobody ever uses it I would have considered just ducking in but it's right next to 2 houses, across the street from a church, and on the corner of two busy short-cuts through town. lots of local traffic. I feel like someone's likely to see me poking around. Any ideas?

I hate to think it but it's probably owned by the city right? And I would think the odds of getting permission from them is not gonna happen. Especially in the commonwealth.

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Captain Jack, Try the Commissioner of Revenue for your area. I found a old County Building awhile back,and after several calls,I was given their number.That was one of the few times I was given permission to MD. Then after I spent several hours there,I found out someone else had already been there. OH WELL .

OP
OP
captain Jack

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Good call! I am familiar with the ladies there as well, I had to go there to get my business license. They are very nice ladies. I just get bummed because (as you know) it seems like the commonwealth makes exceptions to every rule in favor of the state. Sometimes it seems like you can't do anything. And of course, if you go for permission and get a "no" then you definitely better not go, then again if I don't and get caught, they'll probably skin me alive. Decisions, decisions.

papa

Sep 21, 2006
CJ,how did I know you are in Virginia,without looking at your profile ??? That one little miserable word :( COMMONWEALTH
Yep,we have the same old crap to put up with,only difference is,here they ware bib's instead of suits. ;D

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Start with the city clerks office. If they can't tell you for sure, they can find out for you. Some towns/city do and some don't have MD ordinances. Some require permits, some don't. Some have city property that's off limits, others don't. It's usually only a few phone calls to fidn out. Some smaller towns, the local cop-shop can usually answer the question for you.

By the way, if someone tells you it's not allowed, ask them how you can get a copy of the applicable ordinance.....that helps separate out the lazy BS-ers from the ones who really looked into it for ya......

Diggem'

OP
OP
captain Jack

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
diggemall, that sounds like sound advice. I'll feel a lot better if I do it the right way and I won't have to keep looking over my shoulder. AND I'll feel like I discovered some nice whatevers instead of feeling like I hijacked them. Thanks for the input.

Papa, ya have to just smile and shake your head sometimes don't ya?

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Thats crap!! in Wisconsin you have the right to detect taxpayer property. There are a few exceptions to the rule(hist. sites, places that are off limits to the public, etc.), but for the most part, if you help pay for it you can use it.

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Captain Jack, You are so right. If some of these people had to work for a living ........ ???
For the past 4 weeks,maybe longer,I've been trying to find out about a "State Owned" area near me. I think I've called every office in the phone book,and tons of e-mail sent off. ???
All I get is the run around,today I got a e-mail from the commenwealth office, "Will forward your request to Law Enforcement Captain's office for S.W. Virginia." ::) ::)
Now,if I wanted to know who had the best coffee and donuts, .... ;D ;D

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with dream seeker, more than likely owned by the city - I would ask however.

OP
OP
captain Jack

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
gold fish, that's the way it should be everywhere! And that's how it is here in VA....except this and except that and this snd that unless this but oly if you pay that, ......maybe you better just forget it. :)

Ecdonovan, thanks for the site! I'm gonna check 'em out tonight!

I work only about 15 or 20 minutes from the court, clerk's and commissioner of revenue's offices. Someone should be able to give me an answer. But I think I may first just try going with the above suggestion of asking for a copy of any MD ordinances. Than I carry it with me and if someone says anything it at least looks like I tried my civil best to do the right thing and it will probably only lead to a "that doesn't apply here, you'll have to leave" which I'm fine with as long as everyone is nice about it.

Guess they'd rather just leave the history in the dirt.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes it pays to start the conversation something like, "I'm going to be metal detecting around the old library the next few days and wanted to let you know in case someone call in on me". I've done that a few times and they just usually look at me blankly and say something like , "OK, be careful" or , "Thanks for letting us know". It has worked for me more than once. Get someone 's name and if approached by law enforcement or someone else fromt he city, say ""I checked in with Mary Jane Peevy down at the Clerk's Office." Many of the people you might talk to don't know if it's allowed or not and they sometimes just say no to cover their a$$. Monty

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
Would you argue that Federal land is taxpayer property?

Try detecting it and explaining that to the officer that arrests you and confiscates your MD.

Be very careful with the taxpayer argument, it sounds right but the Feds don't look at it the same way...

If it is private property you can get the owners info from the building department, home ownership and land ownership is public record, most people don't go to city hall to find this stuff so they may think your a little crazy but they should give you the info you need to seek permission.

If it is state owned start at the secretary level and be really nice, kinda shy, that way they won't think you'll make a mess and ask for the groundskeeper or someone who has just enough authority to let you hunt there, security guards at job sites are always good since they look after the place after the workers leave. If you shoot for the big wig you might get a blanket no way answer just because they don't want to take the time with anything. If the cops come by and you say, the caretaker said it was cool but I will leave if you want... That goes over pretty well with the police, plus you just metal detecting, not doing crack or robbing someone.

Good luck!

+Oh boy, I just saw you were from Virginia, I believe that public land is off limits to MDing... (I think ???) It may be West V...... A friend went out that way and did some research, I think if it is owned by a person and not the city you may have better luck. I could be very wrong about this (I hope I am... ;)) Be careful and I hope you can get permission, sounds like it could be good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions