Metal Detectors- Perfomance/Reliability/Sensitivity.

-Gold Duster Dave

Nov 5, 2011
S.W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:coffee2:Alright, I am really interested in finding out more information on metal detectors. Everyone it seems has there own personal opinion on their favorite. I am inviting discussion as I am planning on buying a detector, but am unwilling to settle for beginner level detector. What I would like is a detector that is: Waterproof (Can be used in streams, rivers ect.), I would like a unit that is powerful enough to penetrate fairly deeply in ground (To search for coins, jewelry, and especially gold nuggets, I would like it to be sensitive enough to detect faint signals, would like it to have ability to dial in fine discrimination, would also like it to be rugged and very reliable. What would be a great unit for me to use that would be usable for all types of metal detecting, yet will have power and sensitivity that would allow use for deeper detection. My retirement is just around corner and I am eagerly anticipating a lot of prospecting, as well as frequent outings searching for cracks in bedrock of streams, old coins, jewelry. Already know cheaper units are not really up to the task. I am inviting any and all commentaries on opinions and facts. Help me please sort though all the B.S., I need words of wisdom from those with experience in these matters. :help: :help:

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just ordered a Garrett AT pro from Mike at woodlands. I'd suggest you call and talk to him. He's knowledgeable about what your looking for - what is your price range as he gave me a deal on the AT Pro - $550 - it's usually about $600. it's good down to 10feet of water, not that I'm a diver. I plan on hitting beaches and swimming holes so it fits the bill. From what I'm seeing it fits the bill and others on the forum ( Aquachigger) have hit with it bigtime.
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_pro_aquachigger_video4.aspx

when I first saw him post this last year I was like wow!!!! I don't know how he'd ever top this or if he just retired his detector and gave up...but this is where I'd love to be in a year!

you'll get tons of suggestions. I only suggest you call Mike Post at Woodlands to help you. he's tops in my book. So far I've bought a mine lab Etrac and an AT pro (it shipped yesterday!) from him. Ask around few have better service than Mike.

Woodland Services L.L.C.
Toll Free (855) -966-3563
Mobile (828) -242-5407
Email [email protected]
Website www.Woodlanddetectors.com
Open 7 days 7am-9pm
BBB Accredited Business

~Fitzy111 in Pa

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread