Who are most metal detectorists: Pessimists, optimists or realists?

being a detectorist are you a Pessimist, optimist or realist....

• glass is half full kind of person! :)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • glass is half empty kind of person. :(

• it's just a glass -neutral (and not expecting much until it's in your hands)

• Total voters

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:icon_thumright:

after a recent post I wondered what really encouraged us to dig more and keep digging? do we instinctively have an idea that our next dig will be something seriously worth keeping? I'm personally driven by OCD- so I can say change and vending machines can be my slot machines looking for silver...kids don't try this at work- you might get in trouble... :)

I can say personally I look for and find coins now every place I go- I'm open to finding them on the ground and am looking for them. so I find them everywhere - even at work. :) :laughing9:

Pessimist, optimist or realist- who are you?

anyhow - anyone here believe that you are what you 'think' you are? (the Vortex seems pretty real to my belief system) no idea what drives others on digging for treasure.... adventure? greed? pure lust for gold and silver? hum.

ah - might be I'm just a tard. :tard: but I don't mind I'm finding good stuff most of the time! (and enjoying life in some less than great times, what can be better!!!!!)

anyhow -HH all -
comment please. :wink:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am all three, just not at the same time.

I am optimistic before the hunt, pessimistic after digging my 100th pulltab and realistic that not every hunt is going to be "the hunt" and that there is always next time.

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always think today is the day I gonna hit the home run, other wise I would just stay home watch TV :read2: :dontknow:

DigImust

Jan 30, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to say that after a lifetime of challenging myself and those around me to excel at SOMETHING, discovering this wonderful hobby late in my journey has been overwhelmingly positive for my attitude. That said, I consider myself a cautious optimist. Finding a cache of $20 gold coins will cement that optimism! :icon_sunny:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Gotta say I'm a realist. While I'd like every signal to be a double-eagle St. Gaudens, I'm mostly happy with any/everything I uncover. That includes the ones I gouge, scratch, find dis-assembled, and pieces. Even the recent junk Zincolns.

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think we are optimists. We are always hopeful that we dig something good, and hopeful when we don't.

ridger12

Apr 4, 2005
Sandy Ridge Pa
Detector(s) used
Minlab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think most are optimists. There are times when we are all pessimists but I think we have to be primarily optimists to continue to do this hobby. I am sure there are a few pessimists out there detecting but I'll bet most go out three or four times and then sell their detectors on eBay.

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My Aunt Effie used to say "let yourself have bad moments, never bad days"..... Good Advice! :icon_thumleft:

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Realist here..... I know I have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than finding a burued treasure chest containing millions of $ in gold.... but hey! ... like they say about the lottery... 'ya can't win unless you play!' ....plus it's just nice to get out in the weather, back to nature, and some peace and quiet (except for the beeping) away from work....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I can't picture a pessimist lasting long in TH. I am a realist in that I see things as they are, but I can also see them as they should be. I look for the big caches and try to overcome the obsticles. I guess that would mean there is a sprinkling of optimissm in there too.

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 326
  • hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 330

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went with neutral. The treasure hunters who think every scratch on a rock is a "treasure sign" - they're the optimists.

The pessimists are the guys who don't dig cent or pull-tab signals. They also never get rings. :D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that there are things underground that I have never seen the likes of before, and couldn't even imagine is enough to keep me eternally optimistic about my hobby.

OP
OP
mfitzy111

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:icon_thumright:

thanks all. btw I some times am guilty of not digging pulltabs and cent signals. ...but I'm happy when I found anything good! so it's all good and balances out! :laughing7:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mfitzy111, you sound somewhat optimistic to me :thumbsup:

Only, don't keep going over the same spot week after week and expect a different result.

That my friend will make you :tard: 'ed :laughing9:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I start a hunt I'm an Optimist.

Three hours in I'm a Pessimist.

When I'm going through my finds athte end of the day I'm a Realist.

;D

M

mikusek

I am optimistic that I will find something of real value once in a while. The weather is the only thing I am pessimistic about when it comes to detecting or hunting stone artifacts.

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Almost died inn 2009. That is real. I hopeful I see each new day. Life to short and can end in an instant. Any day my feet hit the floor is a good day . A great day is out with detector. Spend enough time with it she will turn you into the forever optimist. :blob7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread