Is my theory correct?

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Today I saw an ad in the paper where some had lost a wedding ring in a park. I called the number in the ad to get more info, and found out the ring was white gold. Using an Ace 250, should I be able to hunt in jewelry mode, and only check nickle signals?
The ground at the park is very hard, so the ring shouldn't more than an inch or 2 down.

I'll be back at the park again at 0400, so please let me know what you think.

Bill

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, it should be in the nickel range and if it was just lost it will be on the surface yet.
Good luck
Kevin

JOE-DIRTDIGGER

Jan 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have an ace 250 please update on what the ring rings up as thanks

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig all signals ...There could be a bonus to your hunt!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
To simply say the ring was "white gold" is not enough information. You also need to know the size. Because if it (for example) was a teensy dainty "white gold" women's ring, then it can read down at foil! But if it was a "white gold" big fat men's band, then it could read up as high as pulltab!

Remember, the detector's TID is not telling you COMPOSITION, it's telling you CONDUCITIVITY. And size/weight plays in to the factoring of that.

For example: take a small snippet of an aluminum can (or just the tab or beaver tail portion), and wave it in front of your detector in an air test. You will find that it will read way low, right? (around nickel or tab or whatever). Now take an ENTIRE aluminum can and wave it in front of your detector in an air test. What does it read at? Quarter or half dollar, right? BUT WAIT! the composition never changed. In each case it was still "aluminum". The only thing that changed was the quantity of the material, right?

So too is it the same thing for gold rings: the bigger they are, the higher the TID will go to.

OP
OP
B

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Before I went back to the park, I checked the different whit gold rings my wife has, her size ranges from 4.5-5.75, fepending on which ring. She was PO'd when I threw them in the fromt yard to find them. Anyway, they all registered as nickle. My ring, is yellow gold, thick band, size 13, shows a penny. She has some sterling that is rodium plated that makes the Ace bounce around a lot???

At the park, I found a lot of targets, all trash, collected 2 wal-mart bags of it, and this was just checking nickle targets at 2". So far, no ring. It may have already been "found" by someone else, but I will keep looking until the end of the week. Spent about 7 hrs so far, and it beats "honey do's". The park may be 4 acres in size, so I doubt I will be able to search it all by weeks end.

Thanks for the replys, and thanks for reading,
Best of luck,

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread