spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem is that it requires a blowtorch to thaw them out.. You did say any reply... Right :dontknow: :tongue3:

Actually you'll be better off investing in Rechargeable nicd AA batteries :thumbsup:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's my understanding that freezing is a no no, but refrigerator (non frozen) storage is fine as long as the batteries are allowed to slowly come to room temperature.
luvsdux

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
if they have a sale buy them up... the best deals are usually at harbor freight, and best buy. you can get a good amount of off brand names batteries for half of what you'd pay at the bigger store. sam's club also used to have good deals from time to time (haven't been in there in a long time).

one of the jobs I had the guy in charge of 'properties' would leave large amounts of batteries in the freezer for later use. it never really hurt them, they were industrial strength energizers. I never noticed any changes in how long they lasted after being cold, but I'd wait till they warmed before using them too. ....

I personally just leave them in a warm ammo can still in the packaging so nothing shorts out -they usually have like 5 year shelf life on most batteries of brand names- it seems to me a lesson from your car not starting in the morning when it's cold out should tell you all you need to know. from experience hiking in cold weather the cold doesn't do your batteries any favors and at 40 degrees last week my minelab's rechargeable batteries even seemed to last about half as long as normal. I used to be able to get by all day in the warm 80 degree weather, I was only out about 3-4 hours and down to 1 bar! Cold seems to make them weaker or work harder for half as long...just my observation, and opinion. hope it helps. if you get a good deal, now would be the time to buy I'm planning on stocking up again- since you know every time gas goes up so does everything else... :BangHead:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi all
Do you know that some companys makes an Alkaline battery charger ?
I had been usein a Buddy-L charger i bought for the kids 20 Years ago. aaa AA C D no 9volt it stoped working just last summer.
Now i hunt a lot in the summer around here but, i dont have to buy many batts.
So i looked for a new charger and in the Heartland cattlog i found a couple.
so i buough one called Alak Charger for 39.00 it charges 34 batt. at a time D C aaa AA and 9 volt its a trickle charger so i just leave my batts in the thing pluged in good batts. charged all the time.
So please look at some kind a Alka barrery charger, what ever you want, BUT THEY WORK stop givin them batt. co so much money.
I am a no body so i dont have any (dog in the fight), but Heartland is a place to start.
OOOo i got to go the battery companys are at the door now
Gary G.A.P.metal
Mod. if i broke any rule please delet my post

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi
sorry i forgot i get 3 may 4 charges out of 1 set of batt.s not near what they SAY but with all the battery powered crap i have around here it paid of all ready
i also worked a lowe`s for 13 yrs. selln tools dewalt and stuff like that and the big ele. batts. 9 volt -36 it is great to freese them they come back to life But only for 12 hrs
in the freezer that at least 12 out then clean with contact cleaner in the charger and the tool and the batt. whereever they come in contact and yes dewalt and such told us so and not to tell.
ok more knocks on the door got to run.
Gary G.A.P.metal

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I used to recharge my MD batteries all the time. Sometimes got a better charge out of them than if bought fresh. But it can cause 'em to blow up, too. BE AWARE! Many of the alkaline batteries also use mercury in 'em. Just so you know.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was very curious about the freezing battery theory too Gary, then I called a friend at Interstate to get the skinny. Fact is, freezing batteries doesn't do anything to revitalize life. It really is a myth. I was told that extreme heat (like leaving your batteries in your vehicle in the summer) will drain them very quickly. Alkaline batteries stored at "room temperature" self discharge at a rate of less than two percent per year. So normally refrigerating or freezing them will only help maintain their charge by a tiny amount. Hardly worth the effort of chilling them. However, if alkaline batteries are stored at higher temperatures they will start to lose capacity much quicker. At 85 degrees F they only lose about 5% per year, but at 100 degrees they lose 25% per year. So if you live in a very hot climate or are storing your batteries in a very hot location, it may be worthwhile for you to store your alkaline batteries in a refrigerator instead.

NiMH and NiCd batteries self discharge at a MUCH faster rate than alkaline batteries. In fact, at "room temperature" (about 70 degrees F) NiMH and NiCD batteries will self discharge a few percent PER DAY. Storing them at lower temperatures will slow their self discharge rate dramatically. NiMH batteries stored at freezing will retain over 90% of their charge for full month. So it might make sense to store them in a freezer. If you do, it's best to bring them back to room temperature before using them. Even if you don't freeze your NiMH batteries after charging them, you should store them in a cool place to minimize their self discharge.

Certified Dealer Star - Level 1-150.png

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Refrigerating batteries slows down the chemical reaction in a batt, but good batteries like the copper tops will last well over a year without it. Don't get NiCad recharable batts, they self discharge to fast. When Li rechargeables are available get them. They hold more charge and don't self discharge to any extent. Look at the expiration date on the copper tops it will tell you the whole story. Don't get cheap batts. Their voltage variations can trigger circuits in your detector and cause problems. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 3,819
  • hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 3,821

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don`t know about the c,d AA and aaa Batts, as i posted i charge them and have no need and never have put them in a freezer but i was sayin about the tool batts the ones for the dewalt and such ,and you only do that when they will hardly hold a charge and only 1 time.
We used to see customers do it all the time and that worked.
Gary

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about this myth....but i know this....if u use a flashlight in your home...batteries will last quite a while...but if you store a flashlight in your car in the winter....batteries are usually dead in a month or so...if ya don't believe it....just try it

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One way freezing rechargable batteries can work is if you get to the state that they will no longer take a charge. Seal them in a plastic bag and place in a freezer for a few days then remove and allow to FULLY de-freeze before charging. The freezing is supposed to break down crystals that have formed in the battery.

I've found this to work with a large Ni-Cad battery in one of my detectors which is now over ten years old and would cost $150 to replace. Results were a little patchy with NiMi's and I would not try it with Lithium Ion which can be pretty dangerous even if you look at them in the wrong way.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think the new Li's all have built in thermal links, so if you abuse them, you loose them, no more boom. Frank

Attachments

• cheerio-1.jpg
    cheerio-1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 611
  • cheerio-1.jpg
    cheerio-1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 546

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread