Florida all but eliminating treasure hunting!

clearwatermike

Oct 29, 2011
Clearwater, FL
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field PI
White's Prizm V
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Before this bill becomes law, it has to be passed in the House and signed by Governor Scott, right? Here's a link to the process: http://www.flsenate.gov/usercontent/publications/2010-2012/idea_to_law_chart.pdf

Also, here's the links to all the senators, representatives, and governor for FL:
http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Representatives/representatives.aspx?SessionId=70
http://www.flsenate.gov/senators/
http://www.flgov.com/contact-gov-scott/email-the-governor/

I'm sending the following letter to all of them...let's let them know we're keeping an eye on this!

Dear (insert politician’s name),

I am writing about Senate Bill 868, introduced by Senator Hays. As a metal detectorist, I am very concerned about the impact this bill may have on my hobby. I want to focus more on my right to the pursuit of happiness through this wonderful hobby rather than quoting the potential loss of tourism should metal detecting in Florida become illegal, as I don’t have the data to substantiate that type of claim, although I know vast numbers of people do visit our state to pursue this hobby.

I understand the importance of preserving our heritage by protecting archaeological landmarks, I just don’t want to see a law created that’s so invasive that it outlaws a hobby dearly loved by thousands of individuals from children to the very elderly. Metal detecting is a peaceful pastime that keeps younger people out of trouble, and gives the elderly something to look forward to.

Metal detectorists hold each other accountable to a strict code of ethics via numerous clubs and internet forums. This is the code posted on the forum I use, but they are all very similar:
“- Report the discovery of any items of possible significant historical value to a local historian or museum in accordance with the latest legislation of your area. - Never trespass. Always get permission to traverse private or restricted lands.
- Always respect private property and do no metal detecting without the owner's permission.
- Before searching public sites, always check laws, ordinances or regulations that may govern your hunt.
- Always leave gates as they are found whether open or closed.
- Never do anything that might contaminate wells, creeks or other water supplies.
- Never tamper with signs, maintenance facilities or equipment.
- Never damage or destroy property, buildings or what is left of ghost towns or deserted structures.
- Never spook, taunt, provoke or otherwise disturb wild or domestic animals.
- Never leave litter. Pack out any and all trash or debris you create or find.
- If necessary, clean up after a previous detectorist. Acting in spite of him or even just ignoring his trangressions will only hurt us all in the end.
- Always use the correct digging or probing equipment to make the least intrusion or marks.
- Never throw trash finds back in the hole.
- Leave as little sign of your passing as possible.
- Always fill in your holes, including plowed fields, sand pits, beaches and in water.
- Study, learn, appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife, and private property.
- Be thoughtful, considerate, courteous and respectful of others at all times.
- Protect the metal detecting hobby by being a good will ambassador at all times.
- Report any live ammunition or other potentially lethal or toxic objects you may find to authorities after carefully noting or marking the location.
- Report any criminal activities you see to proper authorities immediately. You are not a "snitch" or a "tattletale". You are a citizen with both rights, privileges AND duties. Respect them as they were hard-earned by many who came before you.”

Metal detectorists benefit the environment by removing unsightly and dangerous metal shards, nails, fish hooks, etc. We perform acts of goodwill by returning lost jewelry. Many of us belong to an international internet group called www.lostmystuff.net that people can use to be reunited with their lost items free of charge.

Please do whatever you can to keep this bill from becoming so far-reaching that it removes the freedom of such a large group of responsible citizens to engage in the wonderful hobby of metal detecting. I would be happy to discuss this issue further with you at any time. My address and email are as follows:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread