Calling people out.

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Is it ok to call people out on their posts, intentionaly flame or just generaly try and show how superior you are by making another look foolish? I mean sometimes I may question but its done for my education not to burst the bubble or antagonize some armchair treasure hunter. So whats the site rules regarding this? Seems some get chastised and others dont.

S

stefen

Buzzgator,

Interesting delema...and by the way, you're not alone...

treasure Net did not just happen...over time peoples personalities surfaced...so an evolving TN site established Ground Rules which are fully outlined under a site entitled 'RULES' (http://forum.treasurenet.com/rules)...also each Section may have a specific set of rules which are contained under the first posting...

Might want to read the contents and see if they are applicable to your particular circumstances...if the RULES do not satisfy your conditions, then a note to the TN Host or Moderator may be in order...

There are times, though, when you may disagree with a post. To me, its appropriate to state upfront that you respectfully diagree and state why by providing solid proof.

Name calling or just being a total AH only creates disention and people immediately will classify that individual.

I have found that there are some TN Members that can be IGNORED by using a toggle button, thus keeping my blood pressure under control and preventing me from, as you say, calling them out.

Hopes this helps. :coffee2:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every so often a Member voices their displeasure at not being able to "call someone out". You'll find your answers below. I've always thought it better to not allow it as I could only imagine how Member's posts would be trashed if it were. Consider all the different ground conditions, Member experience, ability and situation and then there is just plain old jealousy.

Real or Fake? http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,118118.0.html
Occasionally a member may have doubts about the authenticity of an item posted by another member. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. It is NEVER appropriate or permissible, regardless of proof, to state or suggest in an open forum that another member's find may not be genuine— unless, of course, he has raised that possibility himself, or there is an obvious issue that cannot be disputed or ignored (for example, if the word "COPY" is clearly stamped on a coin).

2. It is NEVER appropriate or permissible to suggest that a member may not actually have found the item which he has posted as a find.

3. Members are free to express such opinions to one another in private messages, but should NOT continue to do so if those messages are unwelcome.

4. Do NOT report doubts, suspicions, possibilities, or rumors to moderators or the administrator. Any formal report or complaint should be accompanied by full and absolute proof from independent, authoritative sources that the item is not, and cannot be, genuine.

Failure to follow these guidelines may result in censure, loss of privileges &/or access to certain forums, or outright banning from TreasureNet.

All finds posted are presumed to be genuine, and those who post them are to be respected.

Probably should read over the General Rules also:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/rules

Also, if you see someone knocking a Member or their find you can always hit the report button (the olny folks that see the report are Admin and Mods) and we'll check it out. We may miss something or we may not see it until after you have.

For me, asking questions that aren't answered in the post wouldn't be an issue. For example: "What is the soil like? In 40 years of detecting I've not seen one of those ever come out of the ground looking so good" is okay but "There is no way that was dug. I've been doing this for 40 years and never saw one look so good that was actually dug" is not okay.

Then one also has to try and pick up on the "tone" of a response. There are many members here that have a ton of knowledge and will give good information but do it in a matter of fact fashion. Sometimes those responses can come off as condescending but are not meant to be in any way.

OP
OP
buzzgator

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Oh yeah Ive read the rules, and have been a member for a few years. I have a very clear understanding of how the rules are written. Its how they are enforced or lack of enforcement. I have been following a thread and am disturbed at the treatment of a fellow member. I am also very impressed at this members refusal to be baited into a confrontation. Keep on believing Mr P! Dreams r what keeps treasure hunting alive!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think much of the problem with this kind of issue comes back to some people's personalities. Myself, when I disagree or offer my opinion on a post try to make it clear that I respectfully disagree or post "in my opinion". Since the first time I got to following detecting forums, I have tried to never belittle someone else's choice of machine, nor basic ideas. However, if I feel their idea is in error or not quite accurate I try to politely offer the alternative. It's just a matter of being civil while trying to further the knowledge base of this fun hobby. It's unfortunate that some people feel that somehow they are superior because of the detector they use or because they happen to have a high finds count. Even more disappointing is the fact that some seem to enjoy putting down those that differ. My two bits.
luvsdux

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buzzgator said:
Oh yeah Ive read the rules, and have been a member for a few years. I have a very clear understanding of how the rules are written. Its how they are enforced or lack of enforcement. I have been following a thread and am disturbed at the treatment of a fellow member. I am also very impressed at this members refusal to be baited into a confrontation. Keep on believing Mr P! Dreams r what keeps treasure hunting alive!

Are you disturbed enough to point the way? My Magic 8 Ball isn't being much help. :dontknow:

Attachments

• dunno.jpg
    dunno.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 425
OP
OP
buzzgator

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Sir, my phone doesnt give me the option of the report button but the thread was started by Mr Peralta. And maybe Im reading more into the comments that there really is, but he has done an outstanding job of not getting confrontational! The thread is in regards to obtaining treasure trove permits.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I think people need to quit looking for reasons to be offended. Why do people care so much about others opinions?

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Sometimes it's only a matter of determining "truth or fiction". I recognize the posts this member is speaking of. Spectacular claims
should require more than the claimants belief if it appears unlikely to experienced cache hunters. Personally I saw no hostile intent
in the questioner's response. If you invite pointed questions you should be ready to answer them, especially if you state intentions
likely to draw the attention of federal agencies. Our hobby has enough problems without inviting more, imho.

OP
OP
buzzgator

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pretty sure he asked for opinions on filing permits, not for his research to be questioned or to be belittled and called a liar without using the word LIAR. Its people like this that are the reason i spend less and less time here, or no longer post my metal detecting or Native American finds on here.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a Grand Canyon sized gap between posting pics of things you have found and claiming to know the location of millions of dollars in gold and other treasures based on photos you have looked at.

Lastly, if it bothers you, you don't have to read the thread. If certain member's posts bother you, put them on "ignore".

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tnet, just as society in general, has good - bad - and ugly. If you find a certain one "bad" in your view, as said above, put him/her on the ignore list. If you find a specific remark particularly offensive, report the post. TTC

OP
OP
buzzgator

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
And the exact same thing can be said for those that would ridicule a guy for posting what he may believe are his ?finds?. So what if he believes he has found say the lost dutchmans mines, is that a reason to screw with the guy? Just because someone may or may not be a proven cache finder makes it ok to belittle others?

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most problems could be avoided if people acted normally not outrageously. Normal, if you think you have found the treasure of the century, is to go out and find it, not say its one of several you have found with "Found" meaning not recovered.

I find I use the ignore feature more and more but its not what it was. The person you are ignoring should be informed and perhaps when they realise that its not just one or two but dozens who find their posts offensive, misleading or whatever they might take a hint and think before they post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread