V is for Victory! But, whats this...?

A

AlFu

V is for Victory! But, what's this...?

Hello everyone,

I finally made it back to my favorite field today. The same site where 8 colonial era coppers have come from... At different times that is... Anyway. I was there for 5 minutes and I pulled out the big flat button. No design and no shank though. I put it next to a Buffalo Nickel for a size comparison. It was rough going in between hits, a few bullets (modern) and the half of what looks to be a colonial era buckle.?

After a good hour and a half of a back and forth grid, I got a great sounding 50 to 51 on my AT Pro. It didn't sound like no pull tab I've ever heard... A clear, crisp sound. I popped open the plug and sifted through it with my trusty, Garrett Pro Pointer. What came out was the 1901 V Nickel!! Yee Ha! That just made my day!!

I wasn't quite ready to go just yet though so, I just continued with the same back and forth grid for almost another hour before I got my first real High tone in this field. The colonial coppers all came up between 80 and 82 on the AT Pro, this was my first really good sounding 84 to 85! I thought, "Spanish Piece of Eight!" Don't I wish... No. I don't think it's that... However, it is a strange little coin...

"Little" because compared to the King Georges and Large Cents that have come from this site, this coin is about the size of a modern quarter or so. maybe a bit smaller. Some help in it's ID would be awesome! It's definitely made out of copper. The back of the coin is very deteriorated and no discernible features exist. I'm going to have to attempt a partial cleaning. That scares me!

With my luck lately, it'll be a mess. As for me, This will be my last post for a while. I'm stepping away from the hobby for the time being, do to some personal issues. When and if I do happen to get the opportunity to hunt with any of you, I will be humbled and thankful for the experience. I will say this, 98% of you are folks with good hearts and that's a conservative's estimate at that!

God bless you all. Thank you. Some help with that coin please!!

H.H.

Al-Fu

Attachments

• 2-28-12 b1.JPG
    2-28-12 b1.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 198
  • 2-28-12 b2.JPG
    2-28-12 b2.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 2-28-12 b3.JPG
    2-28-12 b3.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 200