Detectorists Against Treasure Themed Shows!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JW15, a disclaimer at the end of the show is a good start. Heck I even have one in all of my posts :laughing7:

Now as far as this possible influx of new hobbyists, I welcome them with open arms

Here is what I mentioned in an unrelated post regarding new hobbyists

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope we get a ton of new people hunting here in NJ.. Unlike many, I'll gladly welcome them to the hobby.

I'll also be opening up a small concession stand just outside the beach, selling nearly expired batteries of all sizes at a premium cost. When they come back because the batteries are draining too fast, I'll explain it's the detector eating up the charge thumbsup Thank god we have 127 miles of shoreline so I can change my location at the drop of a hat laughing7

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Oh man-guess I better go check out the UK regs a little more closely! I wasn't aware of the public/private aspect, only looking at the cooperative side where folks actually get to share in the proceeds...

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I finally watched both episodes of Diggers last night. The wife made a quick escape to avoid them. Personally, I thought it was an ok show, nothing fantastic. I didn't really care for the over the top goofballness or bets. It did remind me of American Pickers in that sense. I just feel shows like that pander too much. I also grew tired of the lingo that they personally use being thrown my way a few times an episode. If it was standardized lingo I would understand, but it is merely lingo they use, so I didn't think that was the most useful bit of time in the show.

Wish list for the show:
- Demonstrate responsible digging of hole...show them doing plugs with grass and things like that. Instead, many of the shots were of them just blasting away.
- Talk a little bit about the complexity of learning a detector.
- Talk about how time consuming it is and more often than not, without reward. I know the point of the show is to sell them finding great things, but being a bit truthful wouldn't hurt.
- Just overall talk about the rules/ethics of the hobby here and there.

I didn't think the show was horrible by any means, but I do think the overall format could stand to be adjusted. After finding out how 'scripted' shows like Pawn Stars is, it makes you wonder about all of those type of shows...including this one.

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
spartacus53 said:
JW15, a disclaimer at the end of the show is a good start. Heck I even have one in all of my posts :laughing7:

Now as far as this possible influx of new hobbyists, I welcome them with open arms

Here is what I mentioned in an unrelated post regarding new hobbyists

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope we get a ton of new people hunting here in NJ.. Unlike many, I'll gladly welcome them to the hobby.

I'll also be opening up a small concession stand just outside the beach, selling nearly expired batteries of all sizes at a premium cost. When they come back because the batteries are draining too fast, I'll explain it's the detector eating up the charge thumbsup Thank god we have 127 miles of shoreline so I can change my location at the drop of a hat laughing7
Lol, Now there's some profit!! :thumbsup:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pyledriver said:
Oh man-guess I better go check out the UK regs a little more closely! I wasn't aware of the public/private aspect, only looking at the cooperative side where folks actually get to share in the proceeds...
Not positive about UK laws, just thought I read it somewhere.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I checked out a new site yesterday and was disappointed to find hundreds of unfilled holes. Even worse, the trash was left next to the plugs. This is exactly what drives legislation banning the hobby we all love.

We are all in the spotlight now that these types of "reality" shows are airing, so it is IMPERATIVE to remove our trash!

010.JPG

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious, did you find anything good their while you were hunting?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
I checked out a new site yesterday and was disappointed to find hundreds of unfilled holes. Even worse, the trash was left next to the plugs. This is exactly what drives legislation banning the hobby we all love.

We are all in the spotlight now that these types of "reality" shows are airing, so it is IMPERATIVE to remove our trash!

Maybe they left them for the Archies,
so they know where to start :wink:
Leaving things in Context :laughing9:

sorry, Couldn't resist.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Archies:

Perserving historic artifacts for future generations by hiding them from the public and locking everything in file cabinets.

Minus they stuff they sell under the table, of course. ::)

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
spartacus53 said:
Just curious, did you find anything good their while you were hunting?

This was simply a scouting mission, so I did not have a metal detector. I did go back to my car for a trash bag and picked up quite a bit, and also filled in a few holes.

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to sneak onto Archie site and see if they were yacking about this. Sure enough it seems like they think the show is a bad idea even have a petition against it. Looks like some of us might have the same opinion as them. Of course in their next thread they had a picture of a spear point wanting to know how old it was and if it was worth anything. Had to keep checking if I was on an actual archaeologist site. Seems some of them like to benefit for some personal gain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread