Whites Classic I.D.

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you live in a cold climate, the freezing and thawing of the ground can make the dirt heave and relax. This causes the ground to act like gold panning shaking the heavy stuff down lower. I lived in ND where the ground can freeze down to 3 feet in the winter. We have found Roosie dimes 10 inches plus in un-disturbed soil.

Now I live in AZ and can find coins from the 1860's 3 inches deep on the average because the ground is hard packed and dry.

I noticed a number of years ago that coins in the burms buy busy roads tend to be deeper as well because of the vibration of all the traffic going buy for years.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the silver coins are just getting fewer and fewer, and the only thing left is the deeper stuff. Yeah, things move with the thaw, but they just dont jump around. Stone fence post will move around, but the direction is usually up, or sideways, never seen one sink. More dirt is being created all the time, and its on top of the coins. Even the rodents will dig up some coins sometimes, but then, maybe can bury them deeper.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frost cracks, heavy rain, even a cow treading on a coin can make them really deep. Then add dust or leaves gradually increasing the height of the soil.

One thing that can make items less deep is if there's a very heavy object nearby whose weight as it sinks causes lighter surrounding objects to rise.

Other than that its wait for ground to be ploughed or building development that has caused holes to be dug and work the spoil heaps.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope the silver coins are getting deeper. LOL

I am running and ETrac and that means I'll have the advantage over everyone else in the places I am hunting for those 'silver shinies'!

keep em sinking!

:-)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Viddy said:
I hope the silver coins are getting deeper. LOL

I am running and ETrac and that means I'll have the advantage over everyone else in the places I am hunting for those 'silver shinies'!

keep em sinking!

:-)

Heck no!! I am digging 1940's era coins from 10-12 inches deep in my area! Even with my E-Trac, the really old stuff is just out of reach unless there is construction going on.

I agree with an earlier post that as we keep going, all the shallow coins are being stripped out leaving only the deeper stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions