I need a little welding advice with my shovels. I keep killing them

B

Bev

Ok so I'm an animal. I'm short so I really like the foundation shovels that are only about 2' long. They're light and easy to carry distances and I can really cut a plug with percision better than my digger.
I've personally killed 3 shovels so far so here is what I'm wondering.
Once Tractor Supply gets more foundation shovels in, they're going to replace these for me. I wonder if I could have my husband weld a reenforcement plate where the breaks occur. If so which side (or both?)
I know there are better shovels out there like Lesche, etc. but I'm ready to invest in one of those just yet.
Here are the latest victims.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 640

ouachitacaveman

Mar 12, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you repair these by welding, you may actually
make the metal weaker due to the heat. Furthermore, welding
may void any warranty you would have from Tractor Supply.
Looks like you're doing alot of digging !

:headbang:

OP
OP
B

Bev

Oh. I thought I was on to something with a plate. They are only $10 or $12 bucks but it's a PIA to keep going back every month.
Okay. Maybe I'll just start buying two atta time?

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Shovels are normaly tempered steel, and the heat will soften them.

Only if Tractor Supply stops replacing them, then welding a patch on the shovel would be worth a try. Front or back shouldn't matter, or even both sides.

OP
OP
B

Bev

They are getting to know me there- They arent quite sure how I'm killing shovels but they are being pretty cool about it! I didnt know that about tempered steel. Makes sense now to me.
I looked at those lesche shovels online. I would definitely hurt myself BAD with one of those things!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Bev said:
They are getting to know me there- They arent quite sure how I'm killing shovels but they are being pretty cool about it! I didnt know that about tempered steel. Makes sense now to me.
I looked at those lesche shovels online. I would definitely hurt myself BAD with one of those things!

Youn want the predator Raven..

I have the lesche and i hate it

http://www.predatortools.com/The Raven - Model 25.htm

Blaze

Attachments

• Predator%20Tools%20Model%2025%20Raven%202011-0126%20(001).jpg
    Predator%20Tools%20Model%2025%20Raven%202011-0126%20(001).jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 691

LLanos

Feb 13, 2012
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Compass Liberty 100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bev, You just discovered how good shovels made in China are. Everyone is right, you would just be spinning your wheels trying to weld them up. I am personally eyeballing a pair of post hole diggers with broken handles. They appear to be stronger metal. Take them apart, put a new handle in one side, a little bit of trimming with a cut off wheel and give it a shot. If your husband can weld, he can do this.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$12 at Ollie's Bargain Outlet.... True Temper always has stock over-runs

Attachments

• shovel truetemper.png
    shovel truetemper.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 490

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bev

two words, army shovel, or en trenching tool

they are the best shovel out the old military ww l or ww ll

...liftloop

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would try welding the front crack with a 309L rod (build up the weld to give it some thickness) then i would attach a 3/16 x 2 plate with a slight bend lengthwise to match the curve of the shovel (the bend would also give it rigidity) and i would make the plate start about 2" from the tip and go right upto where the wood is to create a triangle at the back of the shovel and i would again tig weld it with 309L rod
the 309L rod is great for welding dis-similar metals together and has some elasticity to it so it can be stretched without cracking and you wont lose any of the temper of the steel dont forget to peen your weld to minimize any stress to the weld area

OP
OP
B

Bev

Snowdogg, I'll show your post to hubby and he'll know just what you're saying!
I know someone who had an army shovel- it didnt keep up.
Blaze if I tried to use that, I'd seriously damage a limb or two! Ouch!
I'd be curious to see your post hole digger concept, LLanos!
I know the Lesche name is good but I was hoping for an inexpensive alternative, slightly modified!
I have one of those stainless steel spades but it's a bit heavy and too long. I may give it a second look and see if the handle can be shortened to accomodate my lack of tall-ness!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bev said:
I know the Lesche name is good but I was hoping for an inexpensive alternative, slightly modified!

Well, the old saying is very true here: "You can buy quality once or 'cheap' over and over."

I know that your store is replacing them for free (so far), but how much are you spending on fuel to repeatedly drive there to replace it? How much time are you losing on your digging when your shovel breaks? It's not like Lesches cost hundreds of dollars, you probably spent more in fuel just replacing the "free" ones.

OP
OP
B

Bev

You're right- That's it. I'm going to start driving my husband's truck! :laughing7:
I think I'll muttle through and wait for Mother's Day!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bev; I would like to offer you a suggestion, weld a triangle shaped piece over the break as was done in the photo below. First repair the break the very best that you can, then weld the triangle over the break. Now you want to do the welding on the back side of the shovel. I believe by doing this you will have more integrity or strength. Also be sure to grind down the welding spurs so your digging is smoother. folder 2 105.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Bev, I have been using a narrow planting D handled shovel called THE SHARK for 10 years digging deep for caches in some rough soils. It is all steel and I rubber plated everything but the blade. Sorry but I got it from a garden supply shop that is now gone. The new SEARS shovels are made in the USA, check them out.

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 605
  • hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 608

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread