Salvaged Gold/Silver back to Spain!!!

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Originaly stolen from natives of the Americas, now once again stolen.

DanRiverMan

Dec 13, 2009
Rockingham County, NC
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC - Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a tough one...There have been MANY threads and arguments of this site and many others about ownership of lost articles..Its no different than a class ring..Who owns what and where is the line drawn? They had expenses, just like I would have digging a ring..You have equiptment, gas to and from, your time, your research time and that list could go on and on and on..It can get complicated and everyone has a different idea and what should be done...

Scott

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember when all this started. Spain was upset because they considered that vessel a warship and a grave site, and as such no one could salvage it without their approval and supervision.

The reason the U.S. came down on Spain's side is that if they didn't, they feared open season on all American warships, that were sunk and considered grave sites as well.

And a big part of the argument was whether it was considered a warship or a merchant vessel subject to normal salvaging rights. The court as I recall finally came down on the side of "warship".

I don't blame Obama for this because it all started well before he ever took office. In fact, I believe it was the Bush Justice and State Departments that filed memos in federal court siding with Spain.

While I can respect the substance of Spain's argument, I think their real motivation was to recover the treasure. I seriously doubt they care a lick for the grave site.

What I think this establishes is that in the future, salvage operations like this one have to be approved by the ship's country of origin and with a division of the treasure, of course.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't see why they didn't follow the usual practise of hammering out an agreement with the Spanish Government for a share of the spoils as they have with the British Goverment when recovering items from British wrecks.

Anyway they have the right to appeal so thinks could well change. Its not just the Spanish that get involved when its big money, remember Florida claiming Mel Fishers treasure finds should belong to them.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is something that you else that you may want to keep in mind. Admiralty law aka maritime law, is both domestic, and intentional law. These laws have been in existence for decades, so no current administration really had any bearing on it :thumbsup:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
U.K. Brian said:
I can't see why they didn't follow the usual practise of hammering out an agreement with the Spanish Government for a share of the spoils as they have with the British Goverment when recovering items from British wrecks.

Anyway they have the right to appeal so thinks could well change. Its not just the Spanish that get involved when its big money, remember Florida claiming Mel Fishers treasure finds should belong to them.

Hi Brian.

The appeal would be pointless now. Spain has the loot and I doubt they'd send it back no matter what a federal appeals court said. Also, I think the appeals period for this did expire. Or they did appeal and lost. I can't remember which it was anymore.

Was not trying to imply a move like this was something exclusively Spanish. Any state or national government would do it. And has. Frequently.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hum...moral of this story is don't tell the (any) government or they will steal your treasure. >:( I hope the searchers/ recoverers send them a bill for all the resources used in the endeavor and sue them in international court. sure they can keep the gold, but fairly they should pay the people who actually took the risks to recover it. anyone can see this putting a complete damper on any other treasure hunting? who in their right mind is going to go and salvage something only to have it stolen by government. real unfair. and I understand again that at one time it belonged to someone else, but the issue should be why weren't the people who recovered the money given something for doing all the work? no one in Spain did anything about this lost money until someone else found it...seems wrong on a lot of levels...

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't seem fair, does it?

And if the salvaging company asks a government if they consider the vessel to be warship before searching for it, if they can get a answer, it would probably be: "Of course it is!!"

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
fair would be the people who lost it stepping up...any of course the government would say anything for a quick buck - that the bloodsuckers didn't have to work for... :BangHead:

Graddick

Sep 17, 2011
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LX Kid said:
I'll bet Obama had hand in this to "redistribute" the wealth.
Of course! He must have been his plan along with the reverse-vampires who, as we all know are working in conjunction with the Area 51 aliens, to hide this story by poisoning us all with mind-control drugs administered through tap water spiked with fluoride that was developed by secret UN agents who fly around in unmarked black helicopters. OPEN YOUR EYES SHEEPLE!

But in all seriousness, this is just maritime law. Nothing more.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
typical -anyone who disagrees with the government is a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist. I think of it more like this, when ever there is big money at stake the scum who own you will come out and take it from you

you believe what ever makes you happy...this is the real truth.

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
Graddick said:
OPEN YOUR EYES SHEEPLE!
But in all seriousness, this is just maritime law. Nothing more.

Seems Maritime Law should be changed to include a time limit on lost treasures. Two hundred plus years ago Spain had a differant government, it had a King and Queen. It was probably stolen from the America's thru indigenous indian slave labor who should have been the rightful owners.

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
spartacus53 said:
There is something that you else that you may want to keep in mind. Admiralty law aka maritime law, is both domestic, and intentional law. These laws have been in existence for decades, so no current administration really had any bearing on it :thumbsup:

Guess that means you can't blame the black guy for this one :tongue3:

Rooster Cogburn

Jan 19, 2009
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 + PROformance coil/ Vibra-probe 580 / Waitin' for enough finds to finance an AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
you know it's funny that PFC Manning *someone that probably never had a top secret security clearance to see the cables- it's doubtful most PCFs would have that level clearace* leaked the the cables to wikileaks and he's the one sitting in jail. not the people making dirty deals like this-

thanks for the update- just proves more then ever - never trust the government.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread