Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    us
    Oct 2010
    463 times

Re: Minelab E trac or Whites Spectra V3i for coinshooting?

i tried v3i.ran with it for a year then got rid of it.my old xlt ran circles around it.machine was to dang noisy and made for a tweeker.i just want to turn it on and roll.xlt was that kind of machine.e trac is that kind of machine.v3i does get some insane depth.I dug a frag from a 100 pounder at 2 feet.The relic mode is great.The coin mode stinks.Beach is so/so.I got etrac out of box,put battery in,went out door,got wheat cent,indian cent,v nickel in 1st hunt.

us
    Mar 2011
    NEPA
    garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
    6 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

guys just my experience here you want to hear what it sounds like for silver under the Etrac coil? you really have to down load this application and listen for yourself.

http://www.thebeepgoeson.com/display...c_Emulator_ZIP

for my setup you can hit silver and it sounds almost like violin tone. the clad stuff is really close but not as high pitched. copper pennies more of a lower tone, nickels/foil/gold lower tones with nickel being distinctly higher then foil. there is a learning curve but you really can't miss silver once you hear it you just know your over it...so totally - you can download the application, install it -down load a package for US coins and open that package then run your mouse over older silver coins, and clad coins- to hear what you'd hear in the headphones. it's an app so it's close enough...
    the other thing is TTF mode with the etrac for trashy areas you can run that and find higher tones to pick out keepers in junk. Chukers was talking about finding stuff in trashy areas-after changing coils- I have heard that before from Mike Post about using a Joey coil in trashlands) but this is another solution, Terry (goes4ever) has a whole article about TTF (two tone ferris) so you hear just one tone for iron and one tone for everything else -meaning you're digging for everything else but iron. he has found some great stuff using this mode- thing is you have to set it up (easy) and go swing low and slow with it...

here is a link to Terry's site/page and his how-to setup guide, I know it's no secret. (one important thing is he stresses research -because even if you have the best, your not going to find anything until your over an old people meeting place of some kind.)

http://goes4ever.mymdforum.com/minelab-etrac/

hope this info helps you all.

~Fitzy111

us
    Jan 2012
    MS
    Minelab E-trac Stock 11" Coil, 6" X2 Coil, 8x6 S.E.F. Coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Thanks Mfitz. That emulator thing is pretty neat. I downloaded the US coins app, but everything else is in french. Wish i knew how to get it to be in english, so i can read it. Can u run TTF in the emulator? I like the way silver sounds on the etrac. It does sound like a violin. I did silver quarter and clad quarter, i think i could tell a difference. Wish i knew someone who had one, so i could demo it.

us
    Mar 2011
    NEPA
    garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
    6 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

http://www.thebeepgoeson.com/display...c_Emulator_ZIP

a little further down the page were the coins in english.

TBGO_E-Trac_US_Coins.zip�(corrected mislabeled coin - 3/19/09)

it might be a good idea to find a local club and ask around- someone is likely to have an etrac

but that being said - nothing is likely wrong with what you have, because you did mange to find silver coins (it's not like your going to fish them out all the time! even with an etrac I get clad, junk and pulltabs due to wanting to find a gold ring I've been digging it all lately) - you just have to get used to it. it's the learning curve on using any machine. it might take about 80-100 hours of use before you get comfortable with your machine.

I don't have that yet with my etrac- but I've been using it since last summer- yesterday while out I hit a high tone that sounded good- I dug it and actually found a gold plated 1887 watch... (too bad it wasn't all gold! :/) I know I passed this up last time I searched the area when I first got my etrac) I just decided I'd start digging all tones to see what I was missing- this would have been in the penny range I think - but the numbers didn't make sense to me at all-

anyhow- ask around I'm sure someone out there would let you take one for a test drive.

Attached Images Attached Images  

us
    Dec 2011
    Lower Hudson Valley
    Etrac, Whites V3i
    8 times

I have a V31 and I also hunt w/ 2 buddies who use the Etrac. One of my friends crushes it with the silver while the other, well i crush all the time. I have had my V3i for only 3 months so I am still learning. My old detector was an Eagle Spectrum, so since I was a long time Whites user, it was easy for me to pick up quickly. There are many settings to learn and most of the them influence the others. I usually use the 2.5 mhz frequency, but when I get bad interference, (EMI) I switch to 3- frequencies. I either hunt in relic or Hi-Pro when it comes to programs. If I am doing a ball field or trashy park, then I will use the C&J program. So far I have found about 25 silver dimes, including an 1875-CC seated at 8". It read 23-50 on the VDI, but I hunt by depth. The VDI numbers dont matter after about 6" or so especially on smaller items. I was thinking of getting an Etrac as an addition to my V3i and use both at sites. At this time I put the purchase on hold. The only problem I have with the V3i, is that bottlecaps read as silver quarters. I heard switching to the 950 coil will correct this. One important thing to remember w/ the V3i is the correct sweep speed. If you have a really slow sweep speed, then use the 5.0 band pass freq. The higher the freq, the faster the sweep speed can be. The slower the sweep speed, the more depth you will get as well.

us
    Feb 2010
    Eastland Texas
    Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
    123 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by smartmoney
    I heard switching to the 950 coil will correct this.
    yes that is correct no more bottle caps... also pinpointing is dead on!

Chukers

My Personal Metal Detecting Blog www.facebook.com/coinshooting

If you haven't tried Groupon you need to... Saves you money! http://www.groupon.com/r/uu23569530

us
    Jan 2012
    MS
    Minelab E-trac Stock 11" Coil, 6" X2 Coil, 8x6 S.E.F. Coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    2 times

Im still using the D2 coil, and i like to use single frequency 2.5 as well. When i do run 3 frequency, i notice that when pinpointing the bottecaps 2.5 is not the dominant frequency. 2.5 is normally dominant on silver.
    Maybe the D2 is made for max depth, in less trashy areas. Seems like all of my sites are trashy.
    Do you hunt for coins when you use high pro and relic. Does it seem to work better than coin and jewelry?
    Normally C&J is the only program i use.

us
    Feb 2010
    Eastland Texas
    123 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by bonepicker
    Im still using the D2 coil, and i like to use single frequency 2.5 as well. When i do run 3 frequency, i notice that when pinpointing the bottecaps 2.5 is not the dominant frequency. 2.5 is normally dominant on silver.
    Maybe the D2 is made for max depth, in less trashy areas. Seems like all of my sites are trashy.
    Do you hunt for coins when you use high pro and relic. Does it seem to work better than coin and jewelry?
    Normally C&J is the only program i use.

Yes in trashy areas the D2 coil is very noisy... I took the C&J program and modified it to my liking and put the 950 on and I love the v3i now... I was ready to give up on it before I made the changes. There are a lot of programs out there for the v3i you just need to find what works best for you. I hunt with all 3 frequencies... I like to have all the info I can get... but to be honest I only look at the screen once I hear a good signal... I hunt by sound initially.

Chukers

If you haven't tried Groupon you need to... Saves you money! http://www.groupon.com/r/uu23569530

us
    Dec 2011
    Lower Hudson Valley
    Etrac, Whites V3i
    8 times

Chukers does using the 950 lose depth at all versus the D2? Bonepicker...I get the best depth from both the C&J and Hi-Pro programs so they are preferred.

us
    Feb 2010
    Eastland Texas
    123 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by smartmoney
    Chukers does using the 950 lose depth at all versus the D2? Bonepicker...I get the best depth from both the C&J and Hi-Pro programs so they are preferred.
    I have heard that before... and yeah that possible... I don't feel I have lost much if any... I find targets the size of a dime 6 to 8 inches all the time. any deeper than that it too hard to dig that deep in this Texas ground... after that depth the signal starts to get iffy... I have gotten signals 10 inches or more that were so broken I dunno if I should dig them or not, just because of the hard ground. depends on where you are.

Chukers

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    'South' Texas
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    1435 times

HI there bonepicker,
    I'm a White's person myself but I have neither of the machines in this thread. I can hear your pain in that you are expecting more things to happen however, you do have some nice finds. IF you are really unsure of what in the dickens is going on with your machine you should contact White's and ask if they would check the machine out, if yes and even if you have to pay for it send in the machine with your coil and have it examined. Even White's can have equipment problems. And yes you do have some nice finds and yes you are new to detecting and yes your machine has lots of adjustments but if you want to make certain of what's going on send in the machine to verify its condition.

As has already been commented, it takes some time to learn a new machine EVEN when a person has been metal detecting for a long time. For a new detectorist, heck, you've just stepped off into a black hole so you can not expect everything to click all at once especially with a machine as adjustable as yours. So I will ask do you have a test garden? If not and if you have the place to make one, do so as you will learn a lot from it. Maybe someone has published a book on how to learn and use your machine, maybe someone on the Whites forum has some info for you, like deoleslyfox. Gosh TNet is such a good site I'd even forgotten about the Whites forum.

My first "real detector", not a kit or home made machine, was a used White Coinmaster 6000 D and it took me a long time to get used to it. One day I saw an add in the back of a treasure hunting magazine for "How to Get ALL the BEST out of the 6000D", I gulped and sent off for the info. Best $10.00 I'd ever spent in the 70's or since. It was like a different machine AND with those directions I found my first nickle and later found my first Gold ring. I learned the machine so well that after awhile I knew what the target was before I dug it out of the ground, base metal type that is. Then it was stolen! But that is another story, as Lanny says often enough.

Making certain the machine is running right is important as then you will have a tendency to believe it. This will help your inner self and that will be a huge plus for you. Practice, practice, practice on your test garden as well as out in the real world. Work with your machine, that you now know is working correctly, till you learn one specific aspect of it and then build on that knowledge. Right now with possibly going from one setting to the next it would get real confusing about what you are doing, my 6000
    D had lots of switches and knobs and it takes time to learn what each one does and how it affects other settings.

Even though I do not own one, I believe you have a very good machine. Relax a bit , learn it and begin to enjoy it.

With all my best wishes for you to have fun and lots of deep targets of excellent quality..........63bkpkr
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us
    Jul 2010
    Central Florida
    A Propointer tied to a stick
    25 times
    Metal Detecting

Hi bonepicker.

I wouldn't sell that V3i. You have no place to move up to from there. You have the right machine.

Now you need to start the second discipline of metal detecting: research!

You're not hitting good stuff because you're not putting you coil over the right dirt. Could be several reasons for this, not the least of which is that its already been hammered by other detectorists.

Start researching you local history and look for those old spots where people congregated but don't anymore. That's where you will find the old interesting stuff. See an old foundation? Hunt it once you've obtained permission if you need it!

Keep at it!

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    'South' Texas
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    1435 times

Yup Research! Look at old maps, you can even purchse new ones, that's newly printed old maps, from the USGS IF they have any of your area, in California some go back to before the gold rush. ALSO, go outside and look around but make sure you "see" what is there. You are looking for the oldest section of town or the area and that is where the largest, tallest trees are. You are driving down a country road and you drive past two evergreen trees that are planted about 15' to 20' apart but there is nothing else there, the trees likely are the opening of the old driveway. Look for old walls, odd surface features (hills, hollows, weird stuff), sparckles in the sunshine in a field or near a hillside (could be broken dishes from an old house or campsite) and look for unusual plants out in an open area (flowers, palm trees - they are likely the front yard of the old home) Yup research and "seeing what is around you" not just looking at it.

Go have at it...............63bkpkr
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us
    Mar 2012
    The Carolinas
    Minelab sovereign, Whites XLT, NEW E-TRAC, S&W .40 CAL, NRA MEMBER
    6 times

My first detector was the Whites XLT, loved it. I also bought the Minelab Solvereign, like that machine as well. My XLT was stolen 2 years ago. I plan on replacing it in a couple months with the V3i, and im getting the excal II for beach and shallow water hunting. When I had the XLT I was told to start with the basic programs, no tweeking, and digg all signals for a full year. Practice, practice, practice. research lots of research. That advice worked great for me. You have one of the best units out there, go out and enjoy!
    Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean I

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Earth
    V3i, Etrac, AT Pro, F2, T2, Xterra 705
    199 times
    Metal Detecting

I just started detecting in Aug 2011, 8 months ago, so I consider myself 'still kinda new'.

I started out on a Minelab X-terra 705, which is a mid level machine and all I could afford at the time, which is still good. I was very fortunate. After 3 months with the 705 I wanted a top end machine.
    I got the Etrac. Totally different than the 705. like the 705 on steroids...LOL. But some similar things like the tones and some basic settings. made the transition easier. I guess I went from the Mustang GT to the Lambo...LOL
    Since then I have always had about 3 machines, and have had some of the top machines, and have also used some top of the line machines from the main manufacturers even that other people had while out.

Some of the higher end machines I owned were T2 (like the F75), Etrac, AT Pro, and have used a V3i, Cortes, I have and still use a Minelab ETrac as my main unit.

It seems like you are questioning the V3i and what you think about it, compared to if you had an ETrac instead.

In my opinion.... and I am not brand loyal, I am 'performance loyal'...

Both the V3i and ETrac have great stock programs for park, beach, etc.

I think the ETrac's stock programs are little easier to use than the V3i. When you are new, you rely on the stock programs while learning. I had my ETrac for about 4 months and am just now venturing into the custom programs. It takes time to learn either machine and make it routine. The more you go out, the better with the machine you get.
    What's funny is that, for some reason, with the ETrac, I learned a modern dime signal/display/sound very well, just from using the ETrac over and over hour after hour in the field. When I hear the tone + the TDI of a dime, I can now almost with certainty KNOW it's a dime. I'd bet money on it. That is from practice practice practice... and I am learning more every day.

Don't write off the V3i. I have heard and believe that it has a higher learning curve than the ETrac, but once you get used to it, and programming it, it's a BEAST!
    The worst thing to do would be to dump the V3i, add cash and get an ETrac, get confused on it and wanting to hook it to your laptop and start downloading making programs, not find anything good, then sell the ETrac for a F75, then hear the finds of the V3i and Etrac users and go round and round and waste money and time....

As for the AT Pro? It's my new back up detector to the ETrac for when it rains. My GF uses it and hit some nice stuff in the parks. It's a great machine and in my opinion a fantastic bang for a buck! But, she will call me over with my ETrac to go over iffy signals to decide if she wants to dig. That kinda says something for the Etrac and why it's 2X+ the price of an AT Pro.

just my thoughts. Glad you are getting out and want to learn....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors