ICAHM Protests Television Programs That Encourage Destruction of Heritage

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alexandre said:
buzzgator said:
Yes not against us as long as we turn over all finds to you n ur kind, or we only dig on dump/landfill type sites. Propaganda!! Sheeple dont be fooled into believing the archies are your friends who welcome you with open arms. The opening post may state its in ref to tv shows, but you better believe its how they feel about every digger that isnt handing their finds over as soon as its pulled from its plug!

In Portugal, all archaeological artefacts found on private or public land, or within the 12 nautical miles of the Portuguese waters, belong to the state (as a matter of fact, ocasional finders are rewarded with money - last week one receive 5000 dollars for finding half of a bronze cannon).

What we do is to let MD do their hobby within an archaeological project. And sometimes, when the artefact is not in danger of decay, they can be users in possession: a MD keeps the finding (but possession of it belongs to the State, so he cannot sell it). That's why a lot of diving shops have cannons or Roman lead anchor stocks on their displays.

And who pays the bill for all of these projects?
A) "users in possession" is a sneaky way of saying "dumping stations for the state's unwanted cost & accountability concerns".

B) "Letting MD do their hobby within an archaeological project" is a sneaky way of saying, "providing us with free needed experience and costly equipment" so we can dump the incredible continued preservation cost and accountability issues for these things on "A" above.

If you really believe that all historical items should belong to the state (the people) then every last one of these items would be on display so they could be readily accessed and "freely studied" by every individual within the effected state (the people). Clearly this is not the case, in fact it is far from it. In reality the people are supporting all of it and they have little access to most of it and can personally own none of it. Very clever indeed, but we both know that sooner or later these dysfunctional systems become cash poor and budget strained, so what happens then when your seemingly perfect systems can no longer financially support the continued preservation of these things? Let me save you the trouble......many of them will be sold as a required means of dumping intolerable debt and others will be boxed up and stashed in a place where they can never been seen by the state (the people).

There is a better, more cost efficient way, my friend. A much better way. :thumbsup:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi BigScoop; Right On. !!!! :headbang: You hit the nail on the head. Thank You. :thumbsup: Although I do admire the work they actually do perform in the Conservation and Preservation areas I detest their cavalier attitude towards their procurement and/or maintenance of these items and the way they foist their holier than thou attitudes towards those involved in the whole subject. Yours stands as a true testament towards the way the true heart of this subject should be approached and handled. Kudo's to you.
For me, I would love to debate Alexandre, one on one, here on the Open Forum regarding all these topics involved here. I think it would be a "very" lively "discussion." As I said, a "Discussion". I have no use for arguments at all. I am positive there are both Pro's and Con's on both sides. I know this because I have seen them myself first hand. I do want to see and hear them both for the betterment of this great hobby/profession and the hopefully good PR that would or could result on "both" sides of these issues.
Thanks again BigScoop. :icon_thumright: PEACE:RONB :sign13: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread