Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering what you guys and gals thought on this issue.
Is a coin such as a nickle found in the ground and red in color the same grade as a collectors grade? For example a V nickle that would grade as Fine by a coin book standards be the same as one identical except for the reddish color because it was found in the ground. Can you correctly say the found coin is graded fine? What are your thoughts on this.

Burdie

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Birdman, I'm no coin expert but a purist would probably downgrade it because of the color. However there is a class of collectors out there now that specialize in stained or dug coins and I don't know how they grade a coin. I know that they downgrade it if it's been cleaned. So you may be talking apples and oranges? Monty

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i always thought that stained coins like nickels would be called "corroded" or "damaged". im no coin grading expert though.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a notation in the 2005 redbook that states that damaged coins such as those that are bent, corroded,scratched,holed,nicked,stained,or mutilated are worth less than those without defects.So a stained coin is considered damaged.MM2

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Don't the grading services use microscopes to grade coins?
I would imagine a dug coin will show minute scratches from
contact with sand,dirt,etc.
Up North,the freeze thaw cycle must mar them too.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't imagine anyone actually paying anything for a red nickel. Green indian heads are the same way. They are virtually worthless compared to a copper colored one. The only coins with any real value that we dig are the silver coins.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
I maintain (as in trying to complete) a complete set of US coins and all are dug or damaged. A normal collector will upgrade his collection. I downgrade mine constantly. All I require is a readable date and mintmark. In some sets I have all the keys and only need the common ones. I have never been able to sell any dug nickel for more than good price. That includes those beautiful black AU and XF buffalos. You'll see them for sale on ebay as dark buffalos and they rarely draw much. The bright red shield nickels have no market also. A purist says that there are no uncirculated coins except those in mint sets. The more reasonable folks will go by the MS-1 to MS-70 grades found in the grading guides. If you go by the photograde examples you would need to mention that a coin is dark or dirty or you would risk folks asking for a refund and filing complaints. exanimo, ss

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once found a 1913 s type 2 buffalo nickle. Now the best offer I had to purchase this coin was $75 dollars. I sent it to have it graded by pcgs and they graded it as a VF 30 with "enviromental damage". This coin brought my $195 on ebay. So I would not say that dug nickles are worthless. They are worth less but not worthless. This was about 5 years ago so i am not sure what the price on that coin is today but I would still say $195 for a dug nickle is not too shabby.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennyfarmer said:
I once found a 1913 s type 2 buffalo nickle. Now the best offer I had to purchase this coin was $75 dollars. I sent it to have it graded by pcgs and they graded it as a VF 30 with "enviromental damage". This coin brought my $195 on ebay. So I would not say that dug nickles are worthless. They are worth less but not worthless. This was about 5 years ago so i am not sure what the price on that coin is today but I would still say $195 for a dug nickle is not too shabby.

Key date examples can be an exception. But the more common coins won't fetch much of anything at all.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was recently a full page ad in my hometown newspaper from a "Coin Buyer" who was in town for a weekend only. It specifically stated they wanted dug coins but they could not be cleaned. That's where I was coming from in my previous post. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread