Nerdy Question.

OldSean

Jan 6, 2012
York, PA
Detector(s) used
White M6, White 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a science kind of person soo. I was wondering if you all have any guestimates of non-junk jewlery per hours of detecting you would find detecting around homes. I am asking this because I have been detecting homes with alot of good coin finds but no non-junk jewlery. Now, I have only dug targets that were a nickle or higher on the discriminator. Unfortunately, I just found out while testing my M6 that my size 10 wedding ring is a pulltab. Just wondering if , statistically, I have been missing jewlery.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it depends on the home and
on how many Girls grew up there.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There would be too many variables to work with. How old is the house?, how many women have lived there?, did they have money? Has the yard been dug and and top soiled and sodded? Has the yard been raised, lowered? Has it been detected before?

In the case of my house it was built in 1952, was one built along with the entire neighborhood on top of an old cow grazing area, the whole area went up in a summer. Was never a truly wealthy area, and recently has become more of a lower income area to my dismay.
The backyard was once home to a shade tree mechanic, and then a tomato garden, it was mostly owned by middle aged living paycheck to paycheck type people.
The backyard was dug out 8 inches and one section new sod was put in, the rest wood chips for my wives daycare. I didn't have a metal detector at the time that happened. So I imagine anything that was there is more or less gone now. The chances of anything else remaining is slim if there ever was a chance.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Some yards are junkier than others. Some hunt locations (swimming beaches, for example) have higher ratios per junk. Certain types of turf have better jewelry ratios (soccer/athletics - where people frolick, verses picnic sites - where people eat and drink, then discard tabs, foil wrappers, etc...).

Home yards, as the others have said, would just depend. But basically front yards of homes are simply not, overall, a good ratio. There is typically no frolicky/sports type usage, no swimming or sun-tanning type usage, etc... That's not to say you won't *eventually* find a gold ring in someone's yard, but I'm just saying if gold jewelry is your objective, you're going to be better served hunting locations where ratios are usually higher. Swim beaches and athletic fields. I've hunted a lot of yards in strip-mine fashion over the years (passing absolutely no conductors), and I have to say, gold rings numbered only a few over those years (flukes).

OP
OP
O

OldSean

Jan 6, 2012
York, PA
Detector(s) used
White M6, White 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Guys. I figure I'll just start digging pulltab/ring targets and won't kill myself going back to houses I hopefully cleared of coins.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom_In_CA tells it right as he usually does. The only thing I'll add is if you're really serious about gold jewelry, hunt with low iron discrimination or no discrimination and dig it all. Tedious, and you'll dig lots of trash, but that's the only way to be sure you aren't missing a small gold goodie.
luvsdux

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go where large crowds of people have been, they're always dropping their crap :laughing9:

I even found a nice bracelet in a mall parking lot the other night.. No detector needed for that :tongue3:

Image Editing Made Easy

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think detecting the jewelry store in the mall would have the highest rate of success in finding jewelry though. Might have the highest rate of finding a three meals a day, a cot to sleep on, and a new roommate named Bubba that comes up with cute little pet names for you.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twisted One said:
I think detecting the jewelry store in the mall would have the highest rate of success in finding jewelry though. Might have the highest rate of finding a three meals a day, a cot to sleep on, and a new roommate named Bubba that comes up with cute little pet names for you.

:laughing7: :laughing7:

A percentage? Out of holes dug? I have found keepers in about .0000000000000000000002% of the holes I have dug. Just keep at it. When you get to digging that 1 billionth hole,, count on the fact that in another few billion you will get something! Good luck, keep your chin up."Endeavor to Persevere"! :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread