THing In The Bahamas?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TH'ing In The Bahamas?

Hey folks - anyone ever done any metal detecting in the Bahamas? I'm leaving Saturday to stay a few days on Paradise Island and was curious about the laws, etc. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: TH'ing In The Bahamas?

I've never been there specifically, but just in general, for all the south american, carribean, and mexican beach resort destinations, detectors are a common site.

This isn't to say that some people probably haven't found themselves a "no", if they asked enough lawyers, bureaucrats, consulates, etc... This would probably be because the answer got couched in terms of shipwreck salvor laws, historic monuments, exporting gold bars out of the country, and other such things.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Tom_in_CA said:
I've never been there specifically, but just in general, for all the south american, carribean, and mexican beach resort destinations, detectors are a common site.

This isn't to say that some people probably haven't found themselves a "no", if they asked enough lawyers, bureaucrats, consulates, etc... This would probably be because the answer got couched in terms of shipwreck salvor laws, historic monuments, exporting gold bars out of the country, and other such things.

Thanks! I hope to hear from someone who has actually detected there. I appreciate the advice though.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hit Paradise island a long time ago - never any problem
some guys hit a few Nassau beaches and were told by some beach guards they needed a permit and permits were like $25
dont know if it was a scam or not

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

CASPER-2 said:
I hit Paradise island a long time ago - never any problem
some guys hit a few Nassau beaches and were told by some beach guards they needed a permit and permits were like $25
dont know if it was a scam or not

Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread