Minelab Excal Tip

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I sent my Excal in for repair. I wrote down a question for the Tech. Years ago the On-Off switch broke while on vacation :BangHead: and I had it repaired later. Since then I turned the Excal on and adjust the thresh hold and then don't touch it except for adjustment. To shut off the machine, I simply disconnect the power supply from the unit. The Tech :headbang: thought that was an excellent habit to get into as that is one less part to wear out from use. What wore out on the machine was the Discrimination/Pinpoint Switch. :angry5: I'd be hunting in Discrimination mode and the machine would switch to Pinpoint on its own without me touching the switch. So that's going to be replaced. Upon return of my detector they'll give me a 6 month warranty. ;D I don't recall them providing a repair warranty before? Opinions?
:coffee2:

keninkansas

Greenie
Feb 20, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excall-ll,minelabe explorer se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my opinion, that doesn't sound good, you could get dirt/sand in the power supply, or am I missing something? :coffee2:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Not a bad idea on unpluging the battery, I have heard of a few that do that...dirt and sand? just something you would have to watch, and make sure you don't lose that little rubber gasket.besides that...it simple and it works.....
This would take a load off the PP/Discrimnation switch....Turns the Excalibur into a total different hunting machine.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,384032.0.html

OP
OP
FLauthor

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dirt and Sand

After disconnecting the power cord from the battery pack, I normally don't drag the Excal through the sand like a plow. This is what I do, after you bust a couple of On-Off-Threshold switches on your long awaited vacation like I did then you might choose to use my method. I don't abuse my Excal but parts wear out just like the Discrimination/Pinpoint switch malfunctioned. Imagine trying to detect in chest deep water in discrimination and suddenly the detector switches to Pinpoint then back to Discrimination all without touching the knob. It was annoying so it was repaired.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread