Brass bullet casings?

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
I know that not all bullet cases are brass, but I am guessing that many if not most are. I think perhaps some other choices are steel and aluminum?

Anyways, I was just curious. Do any of you keep the casings found MDing and sell them to a recycler? If so just any town recycler or is there a better way to get $ out of them?

Thank you for your input. Lots of peps having fun out firing here, so I can literally dig up casings all day if it is something worth selling. I am just unsure if they are considered a good grade of brass and worth collecting to sell.

Oh, if you do sell it any ideas to what you usually get a pound in your area for brass?

Thanks again,

Postalrevnant

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Post, if you get into an area where you get quite a few especially the 9mm, 40 S&W, or the .45 ACP; you might clean them up in a tumbler and bag them in groups of 25 or 50 and sell them to people who reload. You'd should get more that way than selling them for the metal content. There's also a number of rifle cartridges that are popular as well.

papa

Sep 21, 2006
I think Stoney 56 has the right idea,if they are not damaged.Here in Virginia,most recycle places won't take any kind of bullet casing. Afraid someone will get hurt by primer going off. Even if the primer has been punched out,they still won't take them.

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All my Fellow TH'ers
I don't know where you are taking your shell casings but here in Sterling VA I sell all sorts of recyclables every month or two. I dig up many shotgun shells and toss them with all the other shell casings, brass fittings, screws, and all matter of other items and make ten to twenty dollars each time. If anyone has problems selling their stuff send it to me and I will recycle it for you.
I wish you the best of luck, have fun and be safe in all you do.
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Thank you all for your replies. You have given me some great ideas. Its too bad I did not take this very seriously before. I was digging at a swimming hole and got tired of digging brass up in what was the parking lot area, now a small family firing range. A few days ago, alteast over a month before I was there digging, the owner found an 18k huge mens ring flattened some, I am sure its way over 1/2 ounce. WOW had I been fired up that day over the brass I would have found the ring. Recent rain had uncovered it and the land owner saw it, since he detected for years when the pool was open he knew it looked different from brass.

AND BLAM!! What a find. I actually stopped detecting about 1 foot from where it was. He didn't know I was up there detecting so I know he wasn't pulling my leg.

By the way, I had already been digging clad and pulltabs for over 4 hours and was getting tired. All the same its one of those that you really didn't want to know that you missed eh?

Postalrevnant

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread