best coin hunting metal detector under 800.00?

detectore

Mar 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i currently own a fisher f2 and im looking to upgrade to something that can pick up coins better and deeper, i have a few options and im looking under 800.00 what would the best coin hunting machine, i was thinking possibly the fisher f4, f5, f70, teknetics omega 8000, Teknetics T2, used minelab safari, minelab 705, explorer II , garrett at pro, garrett gti 1500 etc. any info on the best coin hunting machine, fastest recovery, would be appreciated thank you!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will get about 100 different opinions.

Honestly, you really need to research this one a bit.

I'll vote the Tesoro Golden u-Max.

Don't even worry about notching. Just run with discrimination low to get maximum depth and dig all the high tones.

That simple.

If you want nickels and "zincolns", dig the mid tones too, but you also start getting some garbage like pulltabs.

Now only about 98 different opinions to go! ;D

ezzz1

Oct 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75,Teknetic 8000, At pro , At gold,Tesoro Sabre Compass X-80,fisher cd3z, goldbug2 , Garrett 250 ace 150 ,Fisher F-5,fisher 553,Teknetic 2000,fisher f4 Tesoro lobo,, silver Umax, ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing no better in the price range of the Fisher f-70 great depth.

cokat7

Sep 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Golden Umax, heck any one of the tesoro's scream when there's clad under the coil, makes it hard when primarily looking for gold.

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use the F70 and love it. In my soil with the 11DD coil it competes exceptionally well against the four digit $ machines. Which part of the country do you detect in?

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont use those other weapons but for a Whites in that price range the M6 is a coin killer with good depth too

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the Minelab 705 and I have to say that in hunting coins and relics it did very well .
And with all the coils and frequency's with the coils it would run it made it very useful in just about any place you wanted to hunt.
For being under 800 USD it was a very good machine . I was happy with it .

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't underestimate the AT Pro... I bought one a few weeks ago as a back up to my E-Trac (for when it rains)... and here's 2 pics of a 1/2 hours at a local park. I ran it as hot as it would go (sensitivity all the way up) and thru some chatter it hit HARD on coins. 11 coins and one was a silver 1946 dime.

Is it better than my E-Trac for coinshooting? heck no! BUT....

I got a strong hit on the quarter (in the pic), dug a nice V-cut, flipped it back, put the Pro Pointer in, stirred around like some soup... NOTHING! started cussing about garrett, the hype, stupid pinpointing never center, garbage detectors, etc... ran the AT Pro back over the hole, STILL HIT!... dug down deeper and BANG! the quarter! I was pretty shocked! The Pro Pointer didn't pick it up cause I was in a 4" hole-or-so... and the quarter was about 10" ! ! ! I had to dig deeper for it to hit it!

waterproof...waterproof...waterproof... over and over.... the AT Pro is actually a pretty darn good and deep machine! I think I have a great duo now! E-trac as my main, AT Pro as my back up, and my F2 as my loaner....

I heard a lot of F70...F70...F70...

I would consider the F70 too, even tho I never used/seen one. I own a Fisher F2 and think it is the best-bang-for-a-buck-and-then-some for a $200 detector and have actually found some great stuff with it! I also had a Teknetics T2, which is almost a cookie cutter F75, and it was VERY impressive, even more with the SEF 12x15" coil, but decided to keep the E-Trac instead of it. The F70 is the step below the F75 and above the F4 and F5, and I bet the F70 is amazing! it has to be!

Attachments

• AT Pro day 1 finds.jpg
    AT Pro day 1 finds.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 852
  • At Pro first silver.jpg
    At Pro first silver.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 760

CladMagnet

Oct 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
atpro is a very good coinshooter and goes really deep HH

rjdvorak

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2010
Very under rated detector is the new Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, at walmart you can buy this detector for $253.00 and msrp is $449.00 This will compete with the high end mid range detectors. Has all the bells and whistles.

Zakurie84

Jun 24, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
I second the Minelab Xterra 705. It has the flexibility and depth of machines twice its price.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like old threads. This one is still relevant.
Why... Cause now, 3years later, Minelab ETRACS are readily available for $800. In great condition too.
Peace ✌

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the ATPRO and love it but I am looking for an f2 for the Grandson--let me know if its for sale //perry

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will get about 100 different opinions.

Honestly, you really need to research this one a bit.

I'll vote the Tesoro Golden u-Max.

Don't even worry about notching. Just run with discrimination low to get maximum depth and dig all the high tones.

That simple.

If you want nickels and "zincolns", dig the mid tones too, but you also start getting some garbage like pulltabs.

Now only about 98 different opinions to go! ;D

I'll jump on the Tesoro bandwagon. Best detector under $600 in any category in my opinion.

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure there are a lot of different machines that would serve you well, and I wish you luck with whatever you decide to get! Thought I might mention Fisher CZ line of detectors. They are older, but I think most cz owners would tell you that they are very good coin finding machines! They are dual frequency, deepseeking machines, and don't lose much depth with discrimination! I own a cz6a, and I love it! It's not always my primary machine, but if I have any doubt that I might have missed coins in an area with one of my other machines, I'll go back over that area with the cz. I've found coins that I am fairly confident that my other machines missed for one reason or another. Due to the dual frequency, they are also good in wet sand or soil that has high mineralization. If you are patient, you can find a good used one for under five hundred dollars. There are several different models, cz5, cz6, cz6a, cz7, ect. Ddo yourself a favor and check them out, posts, reviews, videos ect. Good luck to you with whatever machine you choose! HH! Mike

spummerr

Mar 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duck Commander detectors- They're awesome man for coins:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread