Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lostcauses said:
kayden
If you want them boys to come on down, get with the program and offer em a site that will make a show. Whats the history, whats the challenge etc.
Just he boys and not a show, well hell if I knew they were in an area, they still be detectors. Hook em up for a run, as most would do.
Its the situation (show) that creates the problem, not the people. It is a production after all.
Thanks lostcauses ...You nailed it !.....Its just a production as all TV is!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
kayden said:
Keppy said:
kayden said:
What a bunch of whiners...I wished I had the last 20 minutes of my life back after reading this thread...You haters got to get over yourselves ...Its here to stay...All you are doing (as haters) is making the show more popular by everyone who reads these threads...I said it before & I will say it again ...To the Digger boys ..If yah want to detect a ghost town in Pa. get a hold of me ...We will have a blast Im game for some real fun! Further more thanks & I hope the show goes on!
I'm with you on that statement.
Thanks Keppy! Guys its just a show...Learn to adjust!
kayden... your more than welcome ....... It is like a mob mentally some one yells and everyone follows blindly........... Like the old lynch mob's............... I think that for them it is the need to belong..to be accepted by the majority................

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Its all good :icon_thumleft:

Every time here in little Rhode Island someone asks me if i seen the show when they see my detector.

So it has made it big already..Congratulations :hello2:

The nit pickers will always be here :-\

Im glad you guys dont have Colonial cellars in the woods because that is all i hunt..

This way you wont be showing people that way of hunting :wink:

Blaze

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyblaze said:
Im glad you guys dont have Colonial cellars in the woods because that is all i hunt..

This way you wont be showing people that way of hunting :wink:

It's comical that you think the won't be doing that. Thanks for the good laugh!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The old Montana prison is leased from the state on a 100 year lease by a board of directors, They are a not for profit and have all the leagal rights. The archies took this and ran, they wanted arrests to be made ect. ect. The board did get a letter stating that there should have been a permit and in the future make sure that one is obtained. We got written permission from the board and even did a presintation to the board at their annual meeting, Everything was donated to the museum. The article written in a couple papers here in Montana was orginized and supported by the Archies to make it look like they won some great battle but alas its no big deal. noone was fired or taken to jail. Im sure in future episodes they will have other issues but hey its just more publisity. We are not holding out for this show to air for 50 seasons we are just excited to bring our passion for the hobby to the masses as long as that may be. We dont own the network like goldfeaver so I guess they will keep us as long as we are making them some bling.

Up until reading this post I felt the guys from Diggers had made bad choices and did not have the backbone to stand up to the Nat.Geo. producers to do the right thing. Now I feel differently.

First lets review: Nobody is saying to make a 30 minute show of just digging junk or proper detecting methods and ethics. What we are saying is don't completely ignore them. I think the lingo makes you sound like an idiot but again that is not what I dislike about the show. Leasing a property does not give you the legal right to do whatever you want. The lease document spells out what rights you are leasing the property for and I can bet theirs does not include metal detecting. It is like when I'm asking for permission to detect a rental property I ask the owner not the renter. Although we let the renter know before we detect.

I thought he was getting a little bit of a bad rap but after reading MontanaGold's replys on this thread I feel he is an idiot. I'd be very surprised if National Geographic keeps them on for very long. Even with how bad this show was I know that Nat. Geo. is trying to do the right thing which you should hear more about in the next month or two. If this thread is really how he feels then he is a liability to this hobby. How can you say that future episodes will have issues but it is just more publicity?? Passion does not make you right...I'm not saying you don't enjoy this hobby but you are hurting it and if you don't see it your blind.

This is coming from someone who does not want a metal detecting show and does not care about what you call your finds.

Sometimes it is better to keep quite and let things blow over since I was giving you the benefit of doubt but now I feel there is no excuse for your opinions posted here.

NJ

OP
OP
montanagold

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very direct post, Thanks I love being called names and told I am an idiot. Your right though I dont need to defent team ATC but I sure will continue to. I am sure glad that I could help you form your honest opinion of me as you have done for me, But it is typical of some of the" profesional" detectorists that have had issues with the show. I often forget who I am adressing on the forums and I am sure glad you have reminded me thanks. HH

The old Montana prison is leased from the state on a 100 year lease by a board of directors, They are a not for profit and have all the leagal rights. The archies took this and ran, they wanted arrests to be made ect. ect. The board did get a letter stating that there should have been a permit and in the future make sure that one is obtained. We got written permission from the board and even did a presintation to the board at their annual meeting, Everything was donated to the museum. The article written in a couple papers here in Montana was orginized and supported by the Archies to make it look like they won some great battle but alas its no big deal. noone was fired or taken to jail. Im sure in future episodes they will have other issues but hey its just more publisity. We are not holding out for this show to air for 50 seasons we are just excited to bring our passion for the hobby to the masses as long as that may be. We dont own the network like goldfeaver so I guess they will keep us as long as we are making them some bling.

Up until reading this post I felt the guys from Diggers had made bad choices and did not have the backbone to stand up to the Nat.Geo. producers to do the right thing. Now I feel differently.

First lets review: Nobody is saying to make a 30 minute show of just digging junk or proper detecting methods and ethics. What we are saying is don't completely ignore them. I think the lingo makes you sound like an idiot but again that is not what I dislike about the show. Leasing a property does not give you the legal right to do whatever you want. The lease document spells out what rights you are leasing the property for and I can bet theirs does not include metal detecting. It is like when I'm asking for permission to detect a rental property I ask the owner not the renter. Although we let the renter know before we detect.

I thought he was getting a little bit of a bad rap but after reading MontanaGold's replys on this thread I feel he is an idiot. I'd be very surprised if National Geographic keeps them on for very long. Even with how bad this show was I know that Nat. Geo. is trying to do the right thing which you should hear more about in the next month or two. If this thread is really how he feels then he is a liability to this hobby. How can you say that future episodes will have issues but it is just more publicity?? Passion does not make you right...I'm not saying you don't enjoy this hobby but you are hurting it and if you don't see it your blind.

This is coming from someone who does not want a metal detecting show and does not care about what you call your finds.

Sometimes it is better to keep quite and let things blow over since I was giving you the benefit of doubt but now I feel there is no excuse for your opinions posted here.

NJ

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean something these fools should of been doing?
I seen them dig holes and no grass back on top. That is not proper digging? never mind in the southern areas where grass is hard to grow.
And they still hunted illegally on the prison land. You didn't have STATE permission and can be sued and jailed if they wish.
That is why they took the shows down.
And if I am wrong I am sure you can make another episode hunting there again right?

http://www.slideshare.net/marshafulton/montana-shpo-letter-to-diggers

And come on get real a TV show that shows..digging techniques.... how to cut a plug ....ect...ect..... that would be the most boreing show in the world...... I would fall asleep in the first minute ...... You want to see the right way to dig or how to cut a plug look at your instruction DVD..... or go to youtube........ You should know by know what we do is not brain surgery...... It's like rideing a bike any one can do it..........

Last edited:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very direct post, Thanks I love being called names and told I am an idiot. Your right though I dont need to defent team ATC but I sure will continue to. I am sure glad that I could help you form your honest opinion of me as you have done for me, But it is typical of some of the" profesional" detectorists that have had issues with the show. I often forget who I am adressing on the forums and I am sure glad you have reminded me thanks. HH

NJ

I've never claimed to be a professional detectorist What pays my bills has nothing to do with the hobby of metal detecting. I do try to act professionally while metal detecting or portraying the hobby. To your point about being called names, your right. I don't know you from Adam but I've formed an 'opinion' from your televised program not your DVDs which I have not seen and your posts here on T-Net. So I will handle this how I would with my children. Your not an idiot but you did say some idiotic statements.

I have a huge issue with your statement "Im sure in future episodes they will have other issues but hey its just more publisity" This statement makes you sound like an idiot. I think it is reckless, irresponsible and shows your true colors. It is all about you and screw the rest of the hobby as long as I get my publicity. If I was in you shoes which I'm not I would be saying - we are doing everything in our power to make sure a mistake like this does not happen again and we apologize for the past situation. Our hobby does not need your type of 'publicity'.

Before seeing your program and reading your latest posts I would have been one of your biggest supporters. I love introdcing people to our wonderful hobby but we have an obligation to show them the proper way of enjoying this hobby. You stated there is no entertainment value in talking about ethics and the proper target retrival methods which maybe 100% correct but there is an obligation to do so.

A 30 minute program without commercials is about 22 minutes. How about 20 minutes of entertainment then mixed in that 20 minutes just two minutes of how to do the right thing.

If you do more episodes I wish you the best and hope you do the right thing. If you don't then you will not have to worry about your program getting cancelled since all the sites you would detect will be closed to the hobby.

NJ

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I personally love the show. I hope it continues. Now "American Digger" on the other hand is pure trash. I think the majority of Americans are brain dead, they're all about watching some has been celebs dance but digging a few inches into the ground is a crime. It's a fricking joke.

OP
OP
montanagold

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand where you are coming from, but with all the examples of the same issues in the 80's with shows and news articles about people digging on archie sites what really makes you think that this will be differant? What we dont realize is that there are probably 10 times more of us than there are archeologists so why not ban together agianst the closing of certian sites instead of just saying oh well I guess all sites are going to be closed. I will be the first to admit that Diggers could have gone in a differant direction but im not the producer. But I assure you that if you watched just one of our DVD's you would see that they kept the essance of who we are. In fact PM me your adress and I will send you a DVD for free so you can see. I dont want to make excuses for the show as I am not a huge part of it but am involved I too would like to see future episodes that get more into the juice of what we do but its not up to me. When I said bad publisity is publicity none the less, that was just my frustration coming out as I really believe that if we all stand together then maybe we could open the hobby up to more acceptance. Hell maybe we need to pull together and start a site that we could all donate to and that site could hire layers and lobbiests to help our cause. Just a thought.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand where you are coming from, but with all the examples of the same issues in the 80's with shows and news articles about people digging on archie sites what really makes you think that this will be differant? What we dont realize is that there are probably 10 times more of us than there are archeologists so why not ban together agianst the closing of certian sites instead of just saying oh well I guess all sites are going to be closed. I will be the first to admit that Diggers could have gone in a differant direction but im not the producer. But I assure you that if you watched just one of our DVD's you would see that they kept the essance of who we are. In fact PM me your adress and I will send you a DVD for free so you can see. I dont want to make excuses for the show as I am not a huge part of it but am involved I too would like to see future episodes that get more into the juice of what we do but its not up to me. When I said bad publisity is publicity none the less, that was just my frustration coming out as I really believe that if we all stand together then maybe we could open the hobby up to more acceptance. Hell maybe we need to pull together and start a site that we could all donate to and that site could hire layers and lobbiests to help our cause. Just a thought.

We aren't talking about something that happened 30 years ago, we are talking about what YOUR show is doing TODAY.

Many detectorists are BANDING (not banning) together to try to reverse the mindless closures of public lands to detecting.

You may not be the producer but it's your show, staring you. If you don't like what the producers are producing, be a man and stand up for yourself. Unless you are only interested in getting paid, and then what do you care how the hobby or yourself are portrayed.

There is already an organization you can donate to that tries to help our cause. It's the FMDAC.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally love the show. I hope it continues. Now "American Digger" on the other hand is pure trash. I think the majority of Americans are brain dead, they're all about watching some has been celebs dance but digging a few inches into the ground is a crime. It's a fricking joke.
Im with you man...all these people nagging like old hens are starting to make theirselves look bad...we heard you the first time...I bet they cant wait for a new episode...they will watch it just so they can tell us all the correct way to do it...I bet these are the same people that get excited when they here Bittney Spears ordered french fries in the drive thru.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Montanagold,
Thanks for the offer but no need to do that...I believe you. I don't think you intentionally did anything to hurt the hobby and when it is all said and done there maybe no fallout from this. I hope that is the case. If you film more episodes I wish you all the best and I feel with all the feedback that National Geographic received that the producers will be more likely to include some of the stuff us old hens are squawking about. (Britney order fries through the drive thru??) I've seen producers at work but don't ever count yourself out of having a voice. They are editing the public's view of not only the hobby but of you.

As far as a group to fight for our rights it already exists. A few years ago the NY city parks department started to increase the limits on where people could metal detect and a task force was started. They successfully fought those restriction and even had more parks added to the old list of where it was okay to detect. Now the group is supported by many of the major detector brands and they do exactly what you asked for on a national level.

Check it out: Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation

I know a few of the people that started this group and they are very active in protecting our great hobby.

Again, if any of my posts came off as a personal attack that was definitely not my intent. To a certain extent it was not even a problem with your programs content it was more a problem with some issues that were ignored and the aftermath story about proper permission. This country was built on debate and I feel these threads should all lead to a better understanding of each others view points (whether we agree or not with them) and hopefully a bi-product is you are able to get some additional content into your program that makes it better for everyone which would help teach the next metal detecting generation.

BTW I don't want to watch a 30 minute program on ethics and proper metal detecting methods either...I also want to be entertained. I hope you at least understand my point of view whether you agree with it or not.

Good luck and happy hunting

NJ

Last edited:

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Diggers Is setting the hobby I have invested in back. I have people ask me every day If I know about the show I will not even watch an episode of this crap shame on you. Now you see what will happen it will be like WILLIE WONKA OPENING HIS CHOCOLATE FACTORY. Now that Slugworth has the recipe for the ever lasting gob stopper. Wait and see.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody that has any ethics and truly cares about preserving or hobby wouldn't do a show that would damage are hobby for any amount of money. I for one have never sold any of my finds, I intend to pass them on to my grandchildren and over inflating what stuff is worth is the worst thing for getting permission on private property. Some people even if they never intend to detect their property don't want anyone else to detect if they think you would get one cent out of it, they really don't understand it takes alot of time to get used to the detector and what it's telling you, thats why so many detectors bought by new detectorist end up in the closet never to be used again. They get the ideal that the detector will be able to tell them the difference between trash and coins or other treasure and we all know its not that easy, I still dig my fair share of trash and I've been at it for a few years now.

Last edited:

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; Couple of things here ok. I guess this topic is being beaten to death ok. We know about that in Boston. It's called a "Louisville Slugger" ;D We are fairly proficient in it's many uses. I'll let your imagination take it from there ok. :laughing7: Anyway, Montanagold, I think the reason there are so many "viewers" right now is because of simple curiosity rather than any feigned real interest in the show. I wonder how long it will take for the curiosity
to wear off ??
To lookindown; Maybe you should try lookin UP. The reason I say that is not to insult you but rather to alert you to the fact that there are already a plethora of Laws governing detecting on Florida beaches and "ALL" Artifacts beyond the low tide mark be they coins or Relics etc.. are the sole Property of Treasure Salvage Inc. which is owned by none other than Cip Fisher of the Atocha Fame. Maybe you should look that up. Every show I've sen him put on is fairly accurate and mostly Objective which seems to be a sticking point here. Anyways, just some input ok. PEACE:RONB

That only applies to a small stretch of the treasure coast right?

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep bringing it Diggers.:thumb_up:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wingmaster: Anybody that has any ethics would be playing golf, the second tier would metal detect :laughing9:

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually like the show and wish you luck with it.

The 1 thing that makes me not want to watch it is the terminology. It makes us as detectorists look immature and uneducated.

I really hope you guys rethink the way you portray not only yourselves, but those of us that you are representing to the public.

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only ones worried about digging techniques are detectorist. The average viewer didnt even notice. Thanks to all the talk going on about this show, it wil deffinetly become a series.

But its the average viewer that sees this and thinks "wow thats easy, Im buying a detector and a garden shovel and Im going to get rich" ....(sorry if that was the point you were trying to make.) If not is should have been.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions