Virginia State Owned Land

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"No is a b*llsh*t answer" Did they tell you why? Did they tell where the stone tablet is that has inscribed upon it, "no MD'ers allowed"? Maybe they said no just keep us out. Just curious.....
Mike

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
What is a CC camp? How did you know it was state land? I can ask questions for hours. Oh and where is South west Va. Not to knock on you,,because I'm not really, but not everyone knows there north from there south, I just had to say that. I see a lot of it and I have no clue where that would make some one live. Further more Papa,,one more question. Where and how do you research stuff like that? What books at the libray would I look in? OK sorry that was two questions. Lastly, sorry to hear we cant hunt on State land.
Mike

BigMESA

Sep 21, 2006
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
I'm coming to Richmond next weekend to get married, how about we go do it and if they say something to use we will say we are just checking on our our well spent tax dollars.

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
Thanks Jeff,,,ya know I was pretty good at History when I was in school many years ago,,but I'm beginning to think I may have day dreamed through one to many classes. Also thanks for the link,
Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
backitup83 said:
Thanks Jeff,,,ya know I was pretty good at History when I was in school many years ago,,but I'm beginning to think I may have day dreamed through one to many classes. Also thanks for the link,
Mike

I was the Opposite.

In School I was good at finding places for Sleeping.

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
LMAO,,,I slept in the other classes, not History though.
Mike

Arky 1

Oct 1, 2006
papa said:
If you have any plans to MD on Virginia State Owned Land,Well,forget it. After a month of trying to get a answere,I finally got one today. NO
I "had" two places I found,after doing a "lot" of research,the whole nine yards,a old logging camp and a CC Camp(1940)
I think the state should use "Can't Touch This" as a state them song. :(
same thing here in Arkansas it is probably just a directive from the Director of State Park which is the case here in Arkansas which is the same as a law but is put forth by one person. I am here to tell you if people don't start standing up for there right we will end up with none.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
State Parks are allowed here in PA with Permission.

But when it comes to State owned Woods or other state owned areas
out of site.

I figure I pay State Taxes, every time I buy Gas, Tobacco,
or other Taxable Products so I Help Myself.

I'm not Advocating Breaking Laws.
Just Commenting on My Mindset.

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Mike,all I got was a "NO" words to the effect,don't even try it.For the past four weeks I have been trying to get an answere about this.Today,I finally got someone who knew who to call.I tyred most of the afternoon to get through.Busy signal after busy signal,then I would get a recording saying for 95 cents,I could leave a message. ??? I ask about MD on state land,What I got was "NO" No reason,or time to ask why.And that I wasn't the only person she had said no to today. ???
Mike,Jeff's right about the CC Camps.This one was started in 1940.Project # NP 29,camp name,Galax Gap. This unit built part of the Park Way in this area.I found quite a lot of information about the camp and the people.
Mike,about 99% of my information and leads come from the older folks in the area.Some still remember,some had relatives there,and if you are real lucky,some pictures.
I'll give you a tip when talking to these folks,say SIR,or MAM a lot,never refuse anything offered.Coffee,tea,cookies,home brew,anything. Just sit still and listen to what they have to say.Give them the respect they deserve and you will be surprised what you can learn.

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Mike,I'm near Galax,Va. Between Bristol and Roanoke,just off I-77 Zip for Galax is 24333,out here in the boonies,it's 24381. That's about as close as I can get.

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
Oh,, I don't have a problem with Sir and Mam. Out of all my child hood values that were beat in to me relentlessly, I think I forgot a bunch, but I didn't lose the polite value. Thank you for the info. Do you Like home brew? I like home brew. I have all the stuff to get started, except for the time. I have been helping my neighbors with theres though. To me it taste comparable to store bought and in most cases, no pun intended,taste better.
Mike

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
No problem Mike,glad to help. Home brew ;D Man,the stories I could tell you. My Granny made some killer stuff. I remember one batch that blew the basement door off. :P
Oh,but the next day :)

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No is just a word, thier are other options Papa........... ;D

Attachments

• Sneak.gif
    Sneak.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Sneak.gif
    Sneak.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 135

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
papa,
i also hate the word no, so here's one from me to you. head on south 81 until you get to Abingdon, take alt 58 until you get to the junction for Coeburn, at Coeburn keep an eye peeled for the road leading to the Flatwoods Job Corp, on the Flatwoods road, there are several turnoffs, but look for the one to Little Grassy Creek. There is a BEAUTIFUL waterfall there, and the leaves at this time of year are awesome. You can detect the creek (not the banks!) and at the bottom of that pool at the waterfall, folks have been flinging in coins for years. The pool isn't too deep and you should get some good finds there.
Two of Swift's caches are in the area and several of his old worked-out mines.
You ought to be able to find something good.
ps
If you find two old gravesites, be sure to MD those. Swift buried one of his large caches there.

grizzly bare

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
grizzly bare, What can I say,but,Thanks ;D

Checked my e-mail today,even got a short note telling me it's illegal to hunt state land.So,I ask them to send me a copy of the "laws". Let's see how long that takes ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread