Gerber folding shovel and Coldsteel Special forces spades

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just finished watching the videos on Youtube of the Gerber Folding military shovel and the Coldsteel spades. Has anyone on here used any of these items? The Gerber folding military shovel weighs less than a pound and would be less of a burden than a regular shovel! The Coldsteel Special Forces Spades seems like an excellent digger and a lethal weapon too!! lol!!. These shovels seem great for detecting out in the bush! They are lightweight and compact as well!! Guess my age is catching up to me and want something better than my hand trowel which needs to be sharpened after every use !! Any info would be helpful!

Attachments

• Gerber shovel.jpg
    Gerber shovel.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,840

Digger82

Mar 5, 2009
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,Golden mask 5+, Makro racer 2 pro pack and Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Fiskars(Gerber) folding shovel, that is aproved by the Nato forces. It has been holding up very nicely for many years, it's great shovel for metal detecting. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger82

What is the retail price on the Gerber?

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Cold Steel shovel is amazing. It is the only thing I have found that will take the punishment of digging real holes. I have broken several spades and mil-spec folding shovels metal detecting in the last year alone. That all stopped when I got the Cold Steel shovel. Goes through small roots like butter.

I liked it so much that I gave one to my step-dad for Christmas.

It is a shovel, machete and defensive weapon in one.

I put notches on the handle for a ruler and carry it on a carpenters bag in the metal hammer loop.

Digger82

Mar 5, 2009
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,Golden mask 5+, Makro racer 2 pro pack and Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newfiehunter said:
Digger82

What is the retail price on the Gerber?

Around 50-60 dollars.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Digger....

Here is the Coldsteel Spade...It seem like that would be useful in the field.

Smudge...Just Google Coldsteel Spade or Gerber military spade....The videos on Youtube will show the products as well...Both equally impressive! The Gerber is used by the US military.

Just trying to narrow it down to which one would be the best! Difficult choice!

Attachments

• Cold steel spade.jpg
    Cold steel spade.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 3,190
OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You really got to see the video for the Coldsteel Spade!

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Cold Steel SF Shovel. I have the edge razor sharp and of course I never had any intention of ever digging in any ground. But if I need to use it I will. I mainly kept it with me when I deployed and I never used it for digging!

It would be a good tool and defense weapon if you are out metal detecting and prospecting and needed to use it to defend yourself against someone or something.

Nevada Coyote

Oct 20, 2009
Yerington, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Gold Digger, Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 4 folding military shovels, one on my quad, one on my wife's quad, and one in my pickup, they work nicely and were cheap. Found in yard sales. Pick one and go with it. The nice thing about wooden handles, you can replace them with an old broken regular sized #2 shovel handle, with a little work.
Necessity is the mother of invention.......................
Nevada Coyote

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newfiehunter said:
Thanks Digger....

Here is the Coldsteel Spade...It seem like that would be useful in the field.

Smudge...Just Google Coldsteel Spade or Gerber military spade....The videos on Youtube will show the products as well...Both equally impressive! The Gerber is used by the US military.

Just trying to narrow it down to which one would be the best! Difficult choice!

6 years active duty i have never seen a gerber shovel aka e-tool any where on the post, maybe a new thing since 2005 ?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You guys must have good backs or knees. I use the D handled, allsteel Shark shovel that I picked up in a garden shop 10 years ago. Have to carry it on my shoulder or it drives my detector wild. Can't carry it with my 2 Box. It can pick it up at least 6 ' away.

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,823
  • hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,666
OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Think I'm going to break down and get the Coldsteel Special Forces shovel! As Lakemonster stated, you can put in the hammer loop and way to go! It is lightweight, durable, and makes a great defensive tool also should you need it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread