Any recent experiences with invisible dog fences? Etrac stumped.

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a search and found nothing new in past few years, just seeing if there is any new info on how to deal with them.
I have been on two of those dog fences in the past 2 days....and it's driving my Etrac crazy..
Yesterday at an old schoolhouse/now home, the owner said the invisible fence was in the rear yard and the problems had me scratching my head...cleaning out the coil cover, checking connection to head unit, hitting noise cancel, nothing helped until I ventured into front yard...back to normal.
Today, in the back yard of another home (sweet 1830's too), part time occupant had 3 dogs on the porch, but the jumpiness of the Etrac would not settle down....even in the air 4 feet above the ground, constant, jumping signals. Took out the backup, an old Tesoro Golden sabre....poor performance, went home frazzeled. I did not connect the performance yesterday at the dog fence with the same reactions today.
I was getting ready to send the coil to Minelab today, when I came across this thread.
Just took my Etrac out of the van and tried in my backyard....stable again, back to normal. Musta been an invisible dog fence at the last house too. Yikes! Wonder how much of a range they have?

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure about the invisible fence, but my house and my mother's house has underground electrical service and I can't get within 20' of it, my AT Pro pulses. I also can't hunt with 30' of some PI machines because of EMI...

Point being, I wouldn't be surprised to see an invisible fence causing trouble....

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And overhead lines, and electric fences for livestock. Always check for a long good signal in case of phone or cable, those are shallow.

You could ask the owner to turn them off.

I have never been around a transmission line, but I bet you can't get within a football field of it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our neighbors have one and I can get to within 15 feet or so with my F75 and then start to get the "click" from the buried wire. At six feet it's overloading the circuits and I get a scream.

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
I have an underground dog fence, On my at pro it helps if I shift the freq (it has 4). It still hears the fence but in 1 of the freq one can get much closer. I believe there is a setting on the etrac that shifts the group of freq that it uses, but its not called a freq shift (think it has 10 or 11 increments) Don't know what they call it. Check with xpert's to confirm this (i'm not an xpert & don't use ML machines)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread