Clues to future finds?? Keep hunting?

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am hunting an old civil war hillside Fort turned ...monastary/convent converted to condos. I have only found clad, no silver!
I found other older items 1948 dog tag. Also found a 60year old shell UMC 50 cal. Some older bottles from the 50/60s etc. All this indicates ther is some history here and tells me I shouldnt give up on this site. My question is: Do you base the potential of your locations on these factors even though you dont find any silver right off the bat? It seems IF I keep at it I may get lucky?
Just wonder if other have had success on this train of thought?
I can post pictures later if desired.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definately. Anywhere I find a wheat cent (pre 1959) I make a note in my finds book as that spot has potential to yield silver.

PS - love your avatar of Huntz Hall. The Bowery Boys were a Saturday morning TV regular for me as a kid.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, if I'm not finding silver / wheats within the first 30min or so at a new site, I move on to greener pastures. For the time being, there are still a LOT of locations out there full of old coins, so why waste time on a non-producer? Just save it for later when your other sites have been killed.

Plus, it sounds like your location may have gone through lots of construction / changes over the years. A lot can happen to the ground in that time span. Dirt can be added and dirt can be taken away. I have OBVIOUS old coin locations that date back to the 1850s, but nobody ever finds old coins at them or much else. Too much has happened to the dirt over the years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread