Is Diggers in trouble already?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think between these two shows, and the hard headed archaeology community, and the already BS laws out there I am about ready to sell my pretty much brand new detector and try another hobby. I always try to read up on a hobby before I get into it, and I either didn't read enough, or I got in during a quiet spell, because I would have never bought my detector if I knew about it all.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think between these two shows, and the hard headed archaeology community, and the already BS laws out there I am about ready to sell my pretty much brand new detector and try another hobby. I always try to read up on a hobby before I get into it, and I either didn't read enough, or I got in during a quiet spell, because I would have never bought my detector if I knew about it all.
Yep...certainly not something that get's put out there with all the hype and glory stuff. But all of this exposure was destined to cause this type of controversy, and more. You could see it all coming long before the actual airing of these shows.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
Most of the 'reality shows' on spike seem to be actors and such at staged events, and made to look like a reality show.

Also you link allowed me to view the video.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
In the icons above the space for reply is on for adding links. Four from the right side I think. Mouse over will tell you what the icons are.

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After the show ended I e-mailed Spike TV and told them the show was a big setback for detectorist everywhere. Instead of promoting the hobby they are blowing stuff up and after seeing them do this and make fires while howling like a wolf will make sure the public lets no one detect on thier property.
I thought "COOL" finally a metal detecting show, now I think they need to do something, anything to promote the hobby.
People watching are running out to buy detectors thinking they will make a ton of money finding stuff, ads are already on Craigslist under the wanted section.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
The report button is the little triangle with ! in it at the bottom of the profile of the user. Left hand side bottom of the post.. Spammers already..

And the value of a saw and junk was how much??? Damn I need them fool folks purchasing.. Yep I can see why such questions.

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ-20, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the media hounds are already questioning the show's credibility and character? What do you think of the latest controversy surrounding the lack of evidence in the $20'000 profit claim?

The $20K sales they brag about at the end surprised me. Frankly, I don't believe it but YMMV.

As for the program itself, I thought it was awful. My darlin' wife, who does not share my enthusiasm for detecting, watched the AD premier with me. I was embarrassed. With Rex trying his best (and failing badly and laughably) to cram some momentary scripted excitement into the episode (the trap, proclaiming his god-status to the flames, negotiating the sale of the items we did see and so forth), how could I explain to her that my detecting experiences aren't exactly like that?

We lived in Anchorage for 5+ years in the early '90s and Girdwood is a ski area and an old gold mining area not far from there, just down the Turnagain Arm. They were MDing after the first snow. This just in: It snows in Alaska in the fall, winter and spring. So why not film when the weather is nice, like in the summer? Sure, you can detect through the snow but do you really want to thaw out a tiny patch of ground in order to do it? I guess it provided some meaningless program minutes but it didn't add to my enjoyment of the program. In fact, nothing did.

The show's ExecVP says it's not like they were digging the pyramids. No, it's not, and I don't have anything against respectful detecting anywhere it's allowed so I don't object to the show or players on principle. I enjoy detecting and I enjoy reading about it and I might even enjoy a decent program about it. However, it isn't a mainstream hobby, it's not a bigger-than-life activity and this silly attempt to dramatize it isn't going to make it one. The only thing I recognized was finding the bottle cap but I didn't notice them digging up any zincs. Their historical references are also questionable at best. Sure, the pan (or whatever) could have come up and over the Chilkoot Pass (really?) but the prospector would have had to have been either lost or a tourist. It's not like it's on the direct route to Girdwood. Hey, Rex, Girdwood isn't in the Yukon.

This show is going to tarnish all of us as greed-head digger wannabes and the result is going to be more restrictions on our hobby. The clip of the back-hoe is going to make sure of that. Thanks a bunch, Spike.

Chuck

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion we have already been labeled as multiple bad things, this is why so many laws are already in place restricting our hobby. These show will most likely make it worse. Funny thing is, people were commenting on how many new people are going to go out an buy detectors, then end up selling them after a couple weekends of failures. In reality I think you are going to see quite a few old timers putting their stuff for sale too.

As far as laws go Bigscoop, you are right Florida tried to slip that most recent one through, but thanks to some people paying attention it was fought and believed to have been beaten down. Sadly it is only one of most likely dozens of them being pushed through unnoticed.

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly to me these shows are a joke, and a bad one at that. Almost embarrassed to ask for permission now to anyone that has seen these. Ant the acronym's.....dont get me started lol

smartmoney

Dec 4, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course if you show up at someones door with a camera crew and a pickup truck loaded with digging equipment they will say NO. The reason why so many laws have been enacted is because some of us deserve it. I have witnessed so many people not filling in holes, or taking their trash with them. What about people going out at night sneaking on a battlefield? If items we found were worthless, would we still enjoy the hobby? I would!!!

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
besides the idiot screaming, the whole thing is junky. must've been hired by anti-detectorists. nuff said

K

kd8lxt

i've seen diggers a couple times and i won't watch anymore. they are douche's. i also watch meteorite men, it's interesting but that fat guy walks too fast and when he swings his detector it is a foot high at the end of the swing. it arcs like a pedilum, i curse every time. i would'nt detect with any of them.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
What happened to the post I just posted?????? Frank

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Frankn
What was the post?
I only find this one for today. the next one was the 19th.

Edited due to wrong quote

Last edited:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Folks; I turned it off. My heart could not watch the devastation these shows have wrought on our great hobby. I'm ticked. Yep, I'll be doing some writing to those idiots for sure. PEACE:RONB

PS: Twisted One; Don't quit. They're farce will die out even though there will be some damage to our Reputation ok. PEACE:RONB

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the media hounds are already questioning the show's credibility and character? What do you think of the latest controversy surrounding the lack of evidence in the $20'000 profit claim?

The $20K sales they brag about at the end surprised me. Frankly, I don't believe it but YMMV.

As for the program itself, I thought it was awful. My darlin' wife, who does not share my enthusiasm for detecting, watched the AD premier with me. I was embarrassed. With Rex trying his best (and failing badly and laughably) to cram some momentary scripted excitement into the episode (the trap, proclaiming his god-status to the flames, negotiating the sale of the items we did see and so forth), how could I explain to her that my detecting experiences aren't exactly like that?

We lived in Anchorage for 5+ years in the early '90s and Girdwood is a ski area and an old gold mining area not far from there, just down the Turnagain Arm. They were MDing after the first snow. This just in: It snows in Alaska in the fall, winter and spring. So why not film when the weather is nice, like in the summer? Sure, you can detect through the snow but do you really want to thaw out a tiny patch of ground in order to do it? I guess it provided some meaningless program minutes but it didn't add to my enjoyment of the program. In fact, nothing did.

The show's ExecVP says it's not like they were digging the pyramids. No, it's not, and I don't have anything against respectful detecting anywhere it's allowed so I don't object to the show or players on principle. I enjoy detecting and I enjoy reading about it and I might even enjoy a decent program about it. However, it isn't a mainstream hobby, it's not a bigger-than-life activity and this silly attempt to dramatize it isn't going to make it one. The only thing I recognized was finding the bottle cap but I didn't notice them digging up any zincs. Their historical references are also questionable at best. Sure, the pan (or whatever) could have come up and over the Chilkoot Pass (really?) but the prospector would have had to have been either lost or a tourist. It's not like it's on the direct route to Girdwood. Hey, Rex, Girdwood isn't in the Yukon.

This show is going to tarnish all of us as greed-head digger wannabes and the result is going to be more restrictions on our hobby. The clip of the back-hoe is going to make sure of that. Thanks a bunch, Spike.

Chuck

You need to watch Lucky Muckers... I hear its a show done correctly... I am going to go watch it now...

Chukers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread